Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: playing the middle (inside the 10)

High Roller
    Chats: 0

So in order to keep my ball selection limited to what fits in my bag I left the Kingpin at home but hit the Conspiracy with a fresh 1500. Warmups tried it at the 3rd arrow and it looked pretty good. Only tried it once in the games and pulled the shot but was happy with how it looked in the warmup throw. Now I have that option in my bag every week.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Okay, I've been putting off writing this just because I'm getting lazy in my old age. You post that you had a pretty good look at the third arrow, but you didn't use it even though YOU SHOT 136 IN GAME 3!!?!! How bad does it have to get before you abandon your comfort zone? With 5 lefties on the pair, you need to adjust like a right-hander. Back in the day (70's and 80's) we were all looking for friction because balls were very weak and lane surfaces were wood. Lefties either had it real good or real bad depending on how much friction they could find on the outside. Today, with strong balls and synthetic lanes, we are looking just as hard for oil as we used to look for friction. Every shot that is thrown with a reactive ball takes oil off of the lane. A few years ago, Gold Coach Joe Slowinski wrote and article about El Dorado and El Diablo. El Dorado is the good friction that brings the ball into the pocket. El Diablo is the bad friction that robs the ball of its energy, leaving it unable to get back to the pocket. At some point during play, particularly when several players are playing in the same area, we start to see a "Y" shape at the end of the pattern where shots missed outside can't make it back to the pocket, and shots missed inside dive through the nose leaving horrendous splits. Sloinski's words of wisdom; "The question is, when you see the "Y", why are you still playing there?"

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So in order to keep my ball selection limited to what fits in my bag I left the Kingpin at home but hit the Conspiracy with a fresh 1500. Warmups tried it at the 3rd arrow and it looked pretty good. Only tried it once in the games and pulled the shot but was happy with how it looked in the warmup throw. Now I have that option in my bag every week.
    Like RobV1 said if you got a good look at the third arrow committ to it and move in. You have a decent rev rate and would love to have your ball speed. If you are on a THS put a litttle more surface on and try it. I was on second shift last night and was standing 32 to start and targeting 3rd arrow and had no trouble getting the ball back to the pocket. Like I said you have to belive in the move. It will work. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

High Roller

Looking back I wish I had stuck with it but game 3 I started to struggle with accuracy. Not so sure the lanes caused that. I did try the 3rd arrow once later in game 3 and tugged the shot (about the 7th frame). Since it was a close game at the time I thought it might be better to get a good pin count than to try a new line. In the end we won that game by 62 so I would have had error room but at the time it was a close game. And yes, I do need to trust myself more. I had the Conspiracy at 3000 but knew that wouldn't be enough in the oil so hit it with a 1500 the other day. I noticed the other higher rev lefty on my team was playing deeper inside than I was (his average is 204) but the other high rev lefty on the other team (averages about 210-215) stayed out around the 10 board all game and rolled a 143 in game 3 (after a 223 and 207). I'm wondering if me being out where he was messed up his line which he might not be used to? But he is very knowledgeable about the game and stuck with the same ball and same line all night.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I've said this many, many times before, but here goes one more time: you can strike on any line you choose, if you throw the shot perfectly. When you are playing the correct line, you don't have to be perfect. I have a hunch that the lack of accuracy that you perceive in game three was specifically because you were trying to play the "Y" and misses outside missed outside, and misses inside went through the nose, because you had no room. Please, please stop with the excuses and MOVE!!!

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I've said this many, many times before, but here goes one more time: you can strike on any line you choose, if you throw the shot perfectly. When you are playing the correct line, you don't have to be perfect. I have a hunch that the lack of accuracy that you perceive in game three was specifically because you were trying to play the "Y" and misses outside missed outside, and misses inside went through the nose, because you had no room. Please, please stop with the excuses and MOVE!!!
    I actually hope you are right Rob. It would be easier to fix a stubborness to move than it would to figure out why all of the sudden I can't hit my target for no reason. But yeah I am starting to move out of my comfort zone more and more. In the past I have stayed out around the 5-7 board as long as I could (and even longer). Last week I didn't go out there at all and last night I went out there for 2 shots to try it then went right back to the 10 board.

And yep, I agree with the 'miss room' comment. I have told teammates that before. When you find the right line you have a little room for error. I can find that sometimes but I think when I do it's usually cause it fell into my lap. Seems like that line fell into my lap in game 2 last night. It seemed to get better as the night went on until the end of game 2. I didn't make any adjustments until the start of game 3 when I tried a ball change, tried moving back out to the 75-7 board for 2 shots, and tried the 15 board for 1 shot, then went back to where I started. Next week we bowl a bunch of righties so might not get as bad next week but I will definitely be willing to move in if I see the same thing happen again. Boy, Wednesday afternoon quarterbacking is easy...lol

Another question...that other hi rev lefty I mentioned from the other team...In warmups he throws his first few shots on each lane very casually. Just walks up to the line and swings it out there. I had thought before that it was just him loosening up but last night I watched him and he stood and watched his ball the whole way. This was nowhere close to a competitive shot. Does he do that to try to find the end of the pattern? Or something else? Or is he just loosening up? His ball goes pretty straight up the 10 board to the breakpoint and turns hard right with alot of revs. Even on these warmup shots he still gets revs and it still breaks pretty hard at the end but it usually crosses way past the head pin.
    Last edited by boatman37; 01-29-2020 at 06:19 PM.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Another question...that other hi rev lefty I mentioned from the other team...In warmups he throws his first few shots on each lane very casually. Just walks up to the line and swings it out there. I had thought before that it was just him loosening up but last night I watched him and he stood and watched his ball the whole way. This was nowhere close to a competitive shot. Does he do that to try to find the end of the pattern? Or something else? Or is he just loosening up? His ball goes pretty straight up the 10 board to the breakpoint and turns hard right with alot of revs. Even on these warmup shots he still gets revs and it still breaks pretty hard at the end but it usually crosses way past the head pin.
    It’s probably a bit of both. Even though we have our youth league bowlers do about ten minutes of exercises and stretches before the lanes get turned on, we tell them to take the first few shots at 50% effort to make sure they are loose. By the way I have never seen any of them do this but hope springs eternal. By throwing the ball without much speed but normal revs and rotation, the guy in your league should be able to tell where the oil ends.
    John

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

In my situation it is a combination of both reasons, it is a really easy way to add to your warm-up and ease into the night and also is a very easy way to get a ballpark idea of where the end of the pattern is. Without going into too much detail (could bore the death out of people) the first few shots are warm-up/read the approximate end of the pattern, this then gives me an idea of where I want the ball to be when I am exiting the pattern. At that point I can throw one or two shots with different projection angles to that spot to see what kind of recovery I get with each shot, then it is just a matter of determining if I like any of those looks and if I have the necessary "tools in my toolbox" to make that work (with some additional time to throw a few more shots in different areas to scout out the rest of the lane).
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12