Thread: Ball Cores

Chats: 55

Default Ball Cores

Does anyone know where I can find the core shapes in the Ebonite, Track and 900 Global balls for 13#? I can find the Storm and Roto-Grip cores.

I have a feeling that very soon I will have to drop weight due to my elbow injury/surgery. The 14# is really taking a toll on me and my scores. Don't want to change, but I'd rather be bowling than watching with my arm in a sling.

Thanks!
    Last edited by classygranny; 01-29-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find the core shapes in the Ebonite, Track and 900 Global balls for 13#? I can find the Storm and Roto-Grip cores.

I have a feeling that very soon I will have to drop weight due to my elbow injury/surgery. The 14# is really taking a toll on me and my scores. Don't want to change, but I'd rather be bowling than watching with my arm in a sling.

Thanks!
    I would think that all you really need are the numbers for the cores, and those should be available on the manufacturer’s website. 13# is around the weight where some ball companies start using a generic core. I would think that even if it’s a generic core they would still list the RG and the Differential. The on-line ball vendors also include the core specs on their sites. As for seeing the actual shape of the cores, I don’t see how that would really help you determine if the ball would fit your game.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post

Thanks!
    As to where to see the cores for the low weights, that's hit or miss. Some companies show you, others just say that below weight X it uses generic whatever (usually a some variation of a light bulb or Puck/pancake.) Though if you dig around the site you might find a pic (in article or sheet download)

For the most part though once balls drop below 12-13 pounds. The "High Tech" cores don't really make that big of a difference, A lot of it has to do with the densities of the materials used to get the lighter weight. So they just use the "generic" cores.

The most important thing is the coverstock and the numbers.

There are a few balls that have a high tech core in the lighter weights, but you have to really research to find just which ones do.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 2

This is my post from December 2016 on this Subject. It is a bit dated, but my advice is pay attention to RG, diff and int diff numbers which all manufacturers post on their websites. More important though is coverstock, for any of us rolling under 14 lbs.

Having to drop below 14 lbs due to an injury, I did a fair amount of research on this. Some balls such as Radical Gurus, Motiv Trident etc are not made in weights less than 14. That said, the best explanation of the issue I got from a manufacturer was Storm. Their website posts a picture of the core used in each weight for each ball and some balls are a completely generic core and some like Alpha Crux use same shape core as 14-16. Storm explained..."This has to do with the density of the core itself. The 14-16 pound balls need the heavier weight block to create the ball. Those cores are very dense and cannot be put into the lighter balls. The lighter balls need less dense cores but the shape doesn’t match up closely to the RG and differential values so we have to find a shape along with the correct density to be able to make that ball in the lighter weights. In your question, the shape of the Catalyst weight block matches up with the RG and Differential values when at a lighter density. If the shape does not, we have to put that generic shape in to get those numbers to match up correctly. Surface composition and texture is still the #1 most influential variable in ball motion. This is kept the same for all weights. Just remember, our shapes have to match up with the limits of RG and Diff that USBC permits. This means sometimes we have to put in that generic shape to stay within this range."

Brunswick said they "use a generic core shape with a RG-differential that is close enough to the 14 to 16 pound shape so the same drilling instructions can be used." I assume Radical does the same.

Motiv said they always use the high tech core shape but modify it for the lower weight

Track, Columbia use specially modified symmetric for lighter weights

Chats: 221

900 Global and Motiv use the same core shape in all the weights available in each model. They vary the density of the cores for each weight. I contacted both when my wife had to drop from 14 to 13 to 12 to 11 and finally to 10#
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    900 Global and Motiv use the same core shape in all the weights available in each model. They vary the density of the cores for each weight. I contacted both when my wife had to drop from 14 to 13 to 12 to 11 and finally to 10#
    Thanks Stormed1, Davidjr113 and others. I hate the thought of dropping weight but better to do it now than to re-injure the elbow.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150