Thread: Short Pin Layouts, Urethane killer? or just the next bowling fad cure all bandwagon?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Short Pin Layouts, Urethane killer? or just the next bowling fad cure all bandwagon?

More and more lately I keep seeing discussions about "Short Pin Layouts", Do I need one?, I need one! It's better than Urethane.........

Most of it seems to trace back to Mo & Radical (They don't like Urethane and don't want to sell it "It destroys the pattern, etc." just watch any video from Mo Pinel talking about Urethane and short pin layouts He's really putting the whip to those horses.)

But watching and reading about these issues it just seems like bowling is stuck in a loop or catch-22 or something here.

When Resin balls first came out, they talked like it was the second coming, But that was short lived.

After that start you started reading how Resin balls ruined bowling, Besides being "cheater balls". They were nothing but sponges, absorbing all the oil off the lane in affect destroying the pattern for everyone.

So what were you supposed to do about it? Well if you want to use Resin all night You had to adjust and/or change balls one or two times a night (use 3 balls).

Then here recently the resurgence of Urethane fad appeared and starts gaining ground with the bowlers, It's like the second coming all over again.

What do I read now?

Urethane isn't a sponge it doesn't absorb oil! It builds up on the ball surface and looses reaction as you use it and causes carrydown and destroys the pattern for everyone.

So what are you supposed to do about it? Well MO says in one video if you want to use Urethane all night You have to have 3 balls and use one every game (I assume you adjust also). sound familiar?

Or

You can use the newest thing I've been seeing more and more of discussed a "short pin layout" on a Resin Ball!

Why? Because Resin balls absorb oil and don't cause carrydown, so won't destroy the pattern! and with the short pin layout it will roll like a Urethane and you won't have to change balls all night.

So the thing about resin balls that we thought destroyed the pattern before is actually good for now it?

I'm just ranting here.

Mo said Urethane doesn't absorb oil, but then a minute later he would say oil gets into the cover and wiping doesn't do anything because you can't wipe it off. Sounds contradictory doesn't it? I seen a lot comments that thought that too.

Well you had parse a lot of stuff he said to get what he's trying to say. Which was that Urethane coverstock doesn't absorb oil into it, away from the surface of the ball like Resin balls do. The Oil just gets trapped on the surface in the peaks and valleys of the surfaces texture. (in other words the tire tread got full of mud and you can't wipe it out.)

As for the "You can't wipe it off" while yes you can't wipe 100% of the oil off, there is some smearing (Depending on the towel used) you can wipe a lot of it off.

Before resin balls if you watched the pro's using Urethane on tv, you saw them wiping all the time or not wiping. I remember one time they asked them (I want to say it was Norm Duke, but it could have been someone else) about it.

He said well you when the lanes are oily, the ball gets oil on it and it loses reaction you wipe it off to get it back and to react consistently. When the lanes get dry you leave the oil on it and lets you keep playing that line etc.

Well if those old terry cloth towels got some oil off the Urethane back then, Then Today's modern microfiber, leather towels which will get oil off of resin balls (which supposedly doesn't have oil on the surface), most likely is getting something off today's Urethane balls.

I don't know where I was going with this, I guess it was just seeing the "short pin layout" posts slowly cropping up. It made think of all the times like when a new ball comes out or some grip layout or ball layout.

A few people start talking about it saying they like it, it helped them with some problem and it snowballs into "Well everyone is getting this one! I got to get one too!!!" "It solves a problem I didn't know I had till they said it solved it and I knew that was a problem."
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-02-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker