Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fit Issue or Release Issue?

Chats: 55

Default Fit Issue or Release Issue?

I recently wanted to try a drop a pound in weight due to my elbow injury/surgery. So, I was at the alley and decided to let the "well known" PSO drill a RG Wild Streak for me. Had my Halo there and a few IT thumbs.

So I get the ball on Monday, Jan 20th. Had a bit of a struggle getting my timing in sync. Not surprised. All in all, no higher ball speed, but no aching elbow the next morning. Go to bowl on Friday, the 24th and still some struggling with timing, but not surprised - and trouble picking up a 10 pin as I didn't want to use higher weight spare ball. Next morning, not much aching in the elbow.

Go to bowl on Monday, the 27th...same thing. Friday, the 31st...pretty much the same thing; better timing, better spare shooting. Less aches the next day.

Monday, the 3rd during bowling I notice my middle finger is extremely red and sensitive right above the nail. Before the end of bowling had a good size red inflamed area and a bit of a blister forming. So to be exact this is on the top of the middle finger between the nail and 1st knuckle - closer to the nail bed.

Is this from my release being off? Different? Or too short of a span? Or ideas? Help! I'm baffled as it didn't show up immediately.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    I recently wanted to try a drop a pound in weight due to my elbow injury/surgery. So, I was at the alley and decided to let the "well known" PSO drill a RG Wild Streak for me. Had my Halo there and a few IT thumbs.

So I get the ball on Monday, Jan 20th. Had a bit of a struggle getting my timing in sync. Not surprised. All in all, no higher ball speed, but no aching elbow the next morning. Go to bowl on Friday, the 24th and still some struggling with timing, but not surprised - and trouble picking up a 10 pin as I didn't want to use higher weight spare ball. Next morning, not much aching in the elbow.

Go to bowl on Monday, the 27th...same thing. Friday, the 31st...pretty much the same thing; better timing, better spare shooting. Less aches the next day.

Monday, the 3rd during bowling I notice my middle finger is extremely red and sensitive right above the nail. Before the end of bowling had a good size red inflamed area and a bit of a blister forming. So to be exact this is on the top of the middle finger between the nail and 1st knuckle - closer to the nail bed.

Is this from my release being off? Different? Or too short of a span? Or ideas? Help! I'm baffled as it didn't show up immediately.
    The first thing to check is the insert size(if using inserts) too tight of a hole/insert can cause that. If it is open it up a little or you could pull the insert and buzz the hole out alittle and put it back (sometimes the drilled hole can be a little small and squeeze the insert down.) or replace it and go up a half size and if its A oval make sure its lined up with your finger right.

Also have the pitch checked to see if it matches your specs and or your other balls.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-05-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

I'm not going to say names on this forum, but from previous discussion I'm pretty sure I know where you bowl at and assuming you go to the same pro shop I should have a really good idea of who is drilling your equipment. If you want a second opinion you could head down to McRay lanes (I know it is a bit of a drive for you going from Scottsdale to Tempe. I do recommend calling first because it is an AMF house that has those later hours and he can't open the shop until they open the doors, but Cedrick Bell is really good at fitting equipment and really watching what is going on. For two years after I moved to Colorado I would still get equipment there when I flew back for work.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    I'm not going to say names on this forum, but from previous discussion I'm pretty sure I know where you bowl at and assuming you go to the same pro shop I should have a really good idea of who is drilling your equipment. If you want a second opinion you could head down to McRay lanes (I know it is a bit of a drive for you going from Scottsdale to Tempe. I do recommend calling first because it is an AMF house that has those later hours and he can't open the shop until they open the doors, but Cedrick Bell is really good at fitting equipment and really watching what is going on. For two years after I moved to Colorado I would still get equipment there when I flew back for work.
    You may or may not....lots of things have changed around here. I'm just mad at myself for not going back to the one I prefer. Stupid move on my part. Going to take a day off after the 15th and see what's going on. Some changes...Dave Cirigliano bought Tony out at Via Linda about 3 months ago. He's there most of the time. Jim Pratt is still at Glendale but it's mainly staffed by Kyle King or Ryan (??). And 35th and Union Hills is a Virtue, now being managed by Craig Spencer. Mike Calderon is still at 300 down by AMF on Rural/202.

It's hard to get to a good PSO with all of the Bowlero's changing hours and making them so crazy. And the hours are so short, they are really busy. If I get a chance I'll see if I can go find Cedric; otherwise, I will probably go see if Craig can get me back on track.

Just hoping I can bowl tomorrow. Now the finger looks like I might have a cut. So it might not be the ball after all. So frustrating!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!

Simple question: Did you go back to the guy who drilled the ball and explain the problem? If you didn't, you missed the first, and most important, step. Before you blame someone, give him a chance to fix th problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Simple question: Did you go back to the guy who drilled the ball and explain the problem? If you didn't, you missed the first, and most important, step. Before you blame someone, give him a chance to fix th problem.
    Actually, once I determine it is the ball creating the issue, I will talk with him as I only see him on Mondays. Since it started at bowling, but only after the 5th time of using the ball, I was actually asking if other things might cause it rather than the ball fit.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    I do want to clarify that with this post I'm not trying to imply that the person who drilled it is good or not at doing it, after re-reading it could come across like that. Rob is correct with his post though in clearing that you did go back to the PSO and explain the problem. The recommendation for Ced is not to try and steal business but just someone I know who would be able to give a second opinion that I trust would be honest - no more, no less.

Classy, The landscape of PSOs out there is pretty much as I remembered, heard through the rumor mill that DC was looking at buying into that shop.
    Last edited by ALazySavage; 02-07-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 204

I'd guess the finger insert is just a size or half size too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I'd guess the finger insert is just a size or half size too small.
    Definitely not, they are a bit looser than I normally have.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Definitely not, they are a bit looser than I normally have.
    Then they could be too loose. Or, maybe the PSO just got the span wrong. Did you compare the span to an old ball?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast