Thread: Need help choosing a new ball

Default Need help choosing a new ball

I need help picking a new ball but there seem to be so many options.

My first ball was a Columbia Freeze for the house lanes which were pretty dry at the time. But the lanes got new ownership and a lot more oil and after tons of games and refinishings the ball doesn’t react much anymore.

A few years ago I got a hammer black widow legend but recently the power has just been zapped from it. It’s on its third refinish and I only get really good pin action from perfect pocket placement.

I throw a 15# ball around 16mph with average revs from a conventional grip if that helps and the lanes I normally throw at are medium to heavy oil depending on who they let run their machine.

Any ball recommendations would be very helpful

Chats: 0

I am in the same position. I have two 14# balls right now - a DV8 Vandal Smash and a Storm High Road. They have both seen a lot of use - they are two years old. I bowl in two leagues and usually practice 1-2 days a week. The lanes a medium to dry. My average is in the 155-170 range depending on how I am doing. I am older bowler - 74 female. I have a finger tip grip and do suffer from some arthritis which certainly affects my game.

I was thinking of a Storm All Road but looking at the action video I am not sure that is a good choice. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by UNTRugby View Post

My first ball was a Columbia Freeze for the house lanes which were pretty dry at the time. But the lanes got new ownership and a lot more oil and after tons of games and refinishings the ball doesn’t react much anymore.

A few years ago I got a hammer black widow legend but recently the power has just been zapped from it. It’s on its third refinish and I only get really good pin action from perfect pocket placement.

I throw a 15# ball around 16mph with average revs from a conventional grip if that helps and the lanes I normally throw at are medium to heavy oil depending on who they let run their machine.

Conventional grip? Not fingertip? You won't get much hook with a conventional grip unless you are like Jakob Buttruff...lol. Alot depends on what your local PSO sells but that doesn't mean you can't buy a different brand. He/she can still drill it. Best bet would be to talk to your PSO and see what they suggest. I like Radical stuff but others are just as good. With a lot of oil you will probably want something that starts reading earlier and a little more surface.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I am currently bowling with a bowler who insists on using a conventional drill. He uses an original black Rhino and a very strong Track reactive ball. The difference? About one board. Unless you have a severe physical limitation, try using a fingertip drill. Most bowlers can get used to the difference in one day!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Conventional grip? Not fingertip? You won't get much hook with a conventional grip unless you are like Jakob Buttruff...lol. Alot depends on what your local PSO sells but that doesn't mean you can't buy a different brand. He/she can still drill it. Best bet would be to talk to your PSO and see what they suggest. I like Radical stuff but others are just as good. With a lot of oil you will probably want something that starts reading earlier and a little more surface.
    The local PSO has a pretty broad selection. And I don’t like the lack of control I get from the fingertip grip. I seem to get plenty of hook from how I throw. I might be time to change but I don’t really wanna get an expensive ball and the. Not like throwing finger tip and have to get it redrilled

High Roller

The local PSO has a pretty broad selection. And I don’t like the lack of control I get from the fingertip grip. I seem to get plenty of hook from how I throw. I might be time to change but I don’t really wanna get an expensive ball and the. Not like throwing finger tip and have to get it redrilled
    Is the ball hooking or are you spinning it? Spinning the ball will result in a lot of deflection at the pins. Hooking the ball will result in more of a forward roll with less deflection.

If you can't get a good grip with a fingertip grip maybe that ball wasn't drilled right for you? Was it actually drilled for you? My sons (aged 25-30 and in great physical condition) can't throw mine without struggling to hold on to it. The ball needs to be fitted to your hand. Maybe try taking one of your old balls to your PSO and having them plug and re-drill your finger holes to your fit to try before spending the money on a new ball. They may be willing to do this fee or cheap if you make a deal to buy new equipment from them after this test. I think a good conversation with a good PSO will go a long way here. Maybe have them watch you throw a ball or two.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I assume the Hammer worked really well when new. Unfortunately, balls that work well on heavy oil tend to absorb oil quickly too. What ever you get, you will have to be faithful about wiping it off with a microfiber towel or a shammy after every shot and cleaning it BEFORE you leave the bowling center.
    John

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I assume the Hammer worked really well when new. Unfortunately, balls that work well on heavy oil tend to absorb oil quickly too. What ever you get, you will have to be faithful about wiping it off with a microfiber towel or a shammy after every shot and cleaning it BEFORE you leave the bowling center.
    Agreed with this. My teammates rarely clean theirs and never wipe them between shots. When they do clean them it's usually before we start the night after they sat covered in oil all week. I explained to them how at that point it's too late, all the oil has already soaked in. I'm the only one of the 5 of us (6 counting our sub) that cleans them before packing them away for the night. Two others occasionally clean theirs but one hates cleaning his and says he bowls worse after he cleans them. The other 2 I'm not sure they even know what ball cleaner is...lol
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Yeah I am rather lazy about that. Whatever new ball I get I must be more diligent with wiping it after every shot and cleaning