Thread: Question about the affect of polish on a bowling ball ?

Chats: 0

Default Question about the affect of polish on a bowling ball ?

Say I just put a 400 grit surface on my Blue Hammer urethane ball with no polish. If I do put polish on it what change will it put on the reaction of the ball once it hits the dry? Will it hook more or less and later or earlier? I know that there are different polishes but I don't know how many different kinds there are. Are there only two kinds where one makes the ball go longer and one that makes it go shorter? So I know how my Hammer reacts without polish but I don't know how different it will be with one of the polishes.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Say I just put a 400 grit surface on my Blue Hammer urethane ball with no polish. If I do put polish on it what change will it put on the reaction of the ball once it hits the dry? Will it hook more or less and later or earlier? I know that there are different polishes but I don't know how many different kinds there are. Are there only two kinds where one makes the ball go longer and one that makes it go shorter? So I know how my Hammer reacts without polish but I don't know how different it will be with one of the polishes.
    If you put a 400 grit surface on your ball, why would you possibly want to polish it? Polish is harder to control than simply putting a finer surface over the 400.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    If you put a 400 grit surface on your ball, why would you possibly want to polish it? Polish is harder to control than simply putting a finer surface over the 400.
    Thanks for the info. I just sand the bowling balls I have and never put polish on them. I like the reaction I get with no polish. I was just curious. I just resurfaced both balls today for our league night tonight. So dull it is.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

High Roller

CTD (Creating The Difference) makes a 5000P sanding pad that 'simulates' a polished finish without the polish. Without watching the entire video this might be it > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsAIKKDiovs

Ron talks about how the polish can cause the ball to 'skid' down the lane where the 5000P finish without the polish helps the ball 'see' the lane better. I can't speak to the real difference but have used the 5000P and liked it for what I needed.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!