Thread: Building a New Arsenal

Chats: 55

Default Building a New Arsenal

Well, it is quite definitive that I will now have to drop to 13#s.

Let me first say that the final decision of my new arsenal will be at my PSOs advise, but I like to get information to further educate myself, so I am asking for opinions. I don't necessary want specific balls, but am more interested in what type of balls you would suggest for a 3 ball arsenal. And, I of course, will add a plastic ball for spares.

Specifically, I want opinions on what cores (sym/asym), coverstocks, RGs, Differentials, you would suggest for a 3 ball arsenal for someone throwing 13#s, with low revs (125), low ball speed (10-11), High Axis Rotation, and Low Axis Tilt.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Personally, I'd simplify the equation. Buy three balls (reactive) from the same company (one that uses s standard core under 14#). Buy one with a weak cover, one with a medium cover, and one with a strong cover. Drill them all the same and adjust the surfaces to give you the separation you need.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Well, it is quite definitive that I will now have to drop to 13#s.

Let me first say that the final decision of my new arsenal will be at my PSOs advise, but I like to get information to further educate myself, so I am asking for opinions. I don't necessary want specific balls, but am more interested in what type of balls you would suggest for a 3 ball arsenal. And, I of course, will add a plastic ball for spares.

Specifically, I want opinions on what cores (sym/asym), coverstocks, RGs, Differentials, you would suggest for a 3 ball arsenal for someone throwing 13#s, with low revs (125), low ball speed (10-11), High Axis Rotation, and Low Axis Tilt.
    With low speed and high axis rotation I would think you need at least medium if not high RG balls.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Personally, I'd simplify the equation. Buy three balls (reactive) from the same company (one that uses s standard core under 14#). Buy one with a weak cover, one with a medium cover, and one with a strong cover. Drill them all the same and adjust the surfaces to give you the separation you need.
    This crossed my mind when I saw 900 Global Boost has a pearl, as well as a hybrid. Ebonite's Destiny comes in a solid, pearl, and hybrid - but so far my research has not shown me the exact core of the lower weights. Sent in a request for info, so maybe will here on Monday.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I'm not a believer in the solid/pearl/hybrid thing (all in the same line). At least for me not enough difference between each. I heard it mentioned here before and agree it's a marketing thing.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I'm not talking about the difference between a solid, a hybrid, and a pearl. I'm talking about the relative strengths of the cover materials. If, for instance, you choose to use Storm balls, all will have a low RG of 2.57 in the generic core, but a high end ball will have a very strong cover, a middle ball (like the original HyRoad) will have a medium cover, and an entry level ball, like the Match-Up, will have a weaker cover material. From here, you can adjust the surfaces to get the differences between them to exactly where you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I'm not talking about the difference between a solid, a hybrid, and a pearl. I'm talking about the relative strengths of the cover materials. If, for instance, you choose to use Storm balls, all will have a low RG of 2.57 in the generic core, but a high end ball will have a very strong cover, a middle ball (like the original HyRoad) will have a medium cover, and an entry level ball, like the Match-Up, will have a weaker cover material. From here, you can adjust the surfaces to get the differences between them to exactly where you want them.
    I understand what you were referring to as that is what crossed my mind. My intent was to say I thought about the coverstock differences when I researched the other balls coming in different covers....not that I thought of getting one of each. In fact, solids don't fit my game and never have, even when I was at 15#s and had a ball speed at 14/15. Wouldn't waste money on trying a solid at this time of my life.

Keep in mind that the whole solid vs. hybrid vs. pearl is just a myth that has been created by the marketing departments of the manufacturers. The difference is the surface and you can do anything you want with the surfaces. Don't limit yourself by avoiding solids just because they haven't worked for you in the past. My current arsenal is comprised of three balls, all drilled very weak. One is a solid and the other two are pearls. The solid is the middle ball, while the pearls are the strongest and the weakest; based primarily on surface preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    I understand what you were referring to as that is what crossed my mind. My intent was to say I thought about the coverstock differences when I researched the other balls coming in different covers....not that I thought of getting one of each. In fact, solids don't fit my game and never have, even when I was at 15#s and had a ball speed at 14/15. Wouldn't waste money on trying a solid at this time of my life.
    There are a few solid balls that might be interesting to you that come from the factory with a polished cover which may help you get the ball down the lane well. (e.g., Hustle INK).