Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Design intent of the ball"

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I did some research on your bowling balls. In terms of the low RG, all three balls are very similar. The usable range of low RG's is 2.47 to about 2.61. RG stands for Radius of Gyration. It is an actual measurement of the X and Y axis of the core of the ball, in inches. The X axis (height) is the low RG, and the Y axis (width) is the high RG. When we talk about ball RG's, we are talking about the low RG's. The high RG only comes into play when we reference the Differential (Diff), the difference between the low RG and the high RG. The lower the RG of a ball is, the easier it gets into a roll. The higher it is, the harder it has to work to get into a roll and the further it gets down the lane as it is working. Your three balls have low RG's of 2.48, 2.48, and 2.50 (BW). If you are speed/rev matched as you say you are, you could actually use a much wider variation in the RG's of your bowling balls.

I once wrote an article where I compared bowling balls to motor vehicles. The cores are the engines, and the surfaces are the tires. You currently have three dump trucks that you are trying to turn into race cars by putting racing tires on some of them. It really doesn't work! The balls that you have at home are also pretty low: 2.48 for the King Pin, and 2.52 for the Rhino.

I think that you have the same problem as one of the bowlers I first talked about in this thread. He is very uncomfortable moving in, yet he keeps buying low RG bowling balls. I'd love to see each of you try a ball with a low RG of 2.55-2.57. I think you'd be amazed at the difference.
    When I bought these it was more of a 'replacement' mindset rather than complementary mindset. I am definitely not opposed to trying a higher RG. I think my mistake may have been telling my PSO 'I really like this ball, what else do you have on the shelf'. I would like to start doing a few tournaments so would need a wider range of selection.

My thought process on using the inside part of the lane is I need a much more aggressive ball with more surface to get traction in that heavy oil? My Rhino is not aggressive at all and if I try the 3rd arrow with it it will go straight. Granted it is a lower RG ball but my thinking is it is a weak ball. Using the Storm Matchmaker and being as honest as I can it matched me to an All Road. I guessed on my tilt and rotation since I don't know these but I'm pretty much up the back with alot of forward roll. I looked at the Brunswick lineup (Radical, Hammer, etc) but seems almost everything there is lower RG? Seems like the higher RG would work better outside in the drier stuff? At least that's how I think about it. Am I wrong here? Maybe I have been looking at this wrong?

I know I need to get my stats more accurately checked but I have been experimenting with my release and haven't really dialed in a consistent one until recently. Need to get this data

EDIT: The Radical Closer is a 2.54 with an .050 Diff and the Counter Attack is a 2.57 with a .023 Diff
    Last edited by boatman37; 02-16-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    My thought process on using the inside part of the lane is I need a much more aggressive ball with more surface to get traction in that heavy oil? My Rhino is not aggressive at all and if I try the 3rd arrow with it it will go straight. Show me where it says that a ball has to hook to throw strikes!Granted it is a lower RG ball but my thinking is it is a weak ball. So, you're saying that your thinking is more of a determining factor than the actual characteristics of the ball?!?Using the Storm Matchmaker and being as honest as I can it matched me to an All Road. It would probably be a good choice for youI guessed on my tilt and rotation since I don't know these but I'm pretty much up the back with alot of forward roll. I looked at the Brunswick lineup (Radical, Hammer, etc) but seems almost everything there is lower RG? Seems like the higher RG would work better outside in the drier stuff? Yes!!! Thats the point. If you are not comfortable moving in, than changing to a ball that will go longer is a great alternative for youAt least that's how I think about it. Am I wrong here? Maybe I have been looking at this wrong?f
    I made comments inside your quote.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-17-2020 at 12:51 PM. Reason: removed unused bbcode tag

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I made comments inside your quote.
    Cool. No a ball doesn't have to hook to strike but the % seems to be higher. When I tried a couple weeks ago the ball just deflected when it hit. Could probably work on that. Likely the next ball I replace will be the BWG since it is the oldest and most worn (but still works good). That is my longest ball I have. The Conspiracy reads earliest, then the Squatch, then the BWG with the surfaces I have on them now. The Squatch and BWG are almost identical. With either of those I can stand on the same spot and target the same spot and hit the target. Just the Squatch has a little smoother arc to it. The Conspiracy was similar at 3000 but it's currently at 1500. Haven't really seen anything I like out of it yet with that surface but when I did try it I was pulling my shots pretty bad.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12