Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new ball debacle

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default new ball debacle

So my Black Widow Gold is over 2 years old and has well over 150 games on it (probably closer to 200 games). Thinking about replacing it with something for drier conditions. Problem is after last nights 116 game (452) it's hard to justify spending money on anything bowling related. Maybe after a few days I might get over that but just hard to get excited about it with scores like that.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 221

It happens, so get over it! Did Dougherty quit whn he shot 100 on national tv? No, he laughed about it and got back on the horse.
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Chats: 32

isn't the Squatch already a slightly weaker replacement? Seems to me that it should be if it were me I would add the rhino back to the bag for those drier conditions especially for a player who plays farther left than most our really not moving into the oil to need more than what you've got or at least it appears that way to me.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    isn't the Squatch already a slightly weaker replacement? Seems to me that it should be if it were me I would add the rhino back to the bag for those drier conditions especially for a player who plays farther left than most our really not moving into the oil to need more than what you've got or at least it appears that way to me.
    i actually was thinking of the Rhino earlier after i posted this. it might have worked pretty well last night. i dunno why but my accuracy is much better outside. my form and follow through are better and i can hit my mark more consistently. when i start moving inside i tend to tug the shot. i am trying to get over that but when we are in a close game it's hard to do when teammates are depending on every last pin. but we are at the point now that playoffs aren't likely for us so i plan to start using each week as more of a practice thing. i mean i can't do much worse than i am now.

and the squatch reads a little sooner and not as sharp off the break as the BWG. The BWG stays almost dead straight until the breakpoint where the Squatch will arc out a couple of boards then make a little slower turn in a little earlier than the BWG. Not a big difference between the 2 but a little. The BWG doesn't feel quite the same as my other ones. it tends to roll off my hand more and once in awhile it will just roll from the point i set it down. none of my other ones do that. just had new inserts put in too so not that. and as old as it is no point in plugging it. but might try the Rhino next time
    Last edited by boatman37; 02-26-2020 at 04:16 PM.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Problem is after last nights 116 game (452) it's hard to justify spending money on anything bowling related. Maybe after a few days I might get over that but just hard to get excited about it with scores like that.
    I don't blame you. I got real excited about maybe getting a jersey with my name on it...they got some pretty cool ones out there nowadays. Then I bowled a 505 series followed by a 533 series and I thought, "What kind of loser buys a jersey with their name on it for $115 when they can't even manage a 180 average on a THS?"

I'd love to help with the ball selection question, but I recently switched computers and my ball selection spreadsheet is in Excel and I am not in a financial place where I can manage Microsoft Office right about now.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I don't blame you. I got real excited about maybe getting a jersey with my name on it...they got some pretty cool ones out there nowadays. Then I bowled a 505 series followed by a 533 series and I thought, "What kind of loser buys a jersey with their name on it for $115 when they can't even manage a 180 average on a THS?"

I'd love to help with the ball selection question, but I recently switched computers and my ball selection spreadsheet is in Excel and I am not in a financial place where I can manage Microsoft Office right about now.
    you can download OpenOffice. it's free and will run MS Office files. i have it on this computer i'm on now.

as far as selection, wasn't really looking for help there although it doesn't hurt. just more of a complaint about spending money when i'm struggling so much knowing a new ball won't fix my issues. but i think i have figured out what i'm doing. i think i start out ok then start bending lower with more spine tilt and swinging my arm out wider. going to focus on that next week
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

but i think i have figured out what i'm doing. i think i start out ok then start bending lower with more spine tilt and swinging my arm out wider. going to focus on that next week
    They say that a defendant who decides to represent himself in court has a fool for a client. I wonder what they say about a bowler who arbitrarily tries to act as his own coach?

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    They say that a defendant who decides to represent himself in court has a fool for a client. I wonder what they say about a bowler who arbitrarily tries to act as his own coach?
    I coach myself all the time. When I throw a bad shot, a voice in my head says "don't do that again"....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

High Roller

I know when I start the night out I'm standing more upright at release then as the night goes on I bend further. I know this cause I have felt it and recognize it. Just not certain that is what is causing my accuracy. I am going to focus on trying to stay more upright every shot this week and see how it works out. But did talk to my PSO the other day about coaching. There is a girl in our summer league and he said he takes her to a coach 2 hours away in Erie. I struggle to find time to make it to practice 15 minutes away. 2 hours away? That might be a tough one.

So on average how many sessions does one usually go through? 1 session? Multiple? About how long is each session?
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 204

So on average how many sessions does one usually go through? 1 session? Multiple? About how long is each session?
    As your question started....with frustrations of finding a coach...a good coach...etc... It's not a simple answer.

There are some real problems with "coaching"....not limited to bowling of course...

1) We can argue all day about the chicken and the egg concerning bowling....did popularity wane leading to less money in the sport or did less money in the sport lead to popularity waning. But the facts are clear that there aren't as many bowling centers as there used to be. And, less and less centers have pro shops inside the center. And, there are less and less "support staff" (like coaches) available. In some areas...availability is robust...in most areas you'll be lucky if you have 1-3 coaches within a 2-hour drive. So...AVAILABILITY is a problem.

2) What IS a coach? Is a pro shop owner a good coach? Maybe. Maybe not. Is a high average bowler a coach? Doubtful...but maybe. Is a USBC Bronze Certified Coach a "coach"? Sort of...a lot of time yes...sometimes, they just got that as part of owning a pro shop. Is a "pro" a good coach? What IS a "pro"? Does a Silver or Gold level coaching certification guarantee the coach is good AND good for YOU?

3) What style of game do you have? If you're a 2-hander...might be harder to find a higher level coach...might be easier to find a lower level coach.

4) What LEVEL are you? Do you need a coach that can show you the basics of ball fit, stance, approach, release, spare shooting, etc...? There's probably at least one of them in every 45 minute radius. Do you average in the 170s-190s and can't seem to get to that next level? That might require a higher level coach.

So its not as simple as "you need coaching"...its more like, what level are you at and what level of coach do you need? So here's a guide based on my experience....and before you read this, take into account that I've received more actual coaching (6 different coaches, easily $1500 plus invested just in coaching...probably closer to $4,000...including a coach that has clients that are on the PBA national tour).

Continued.....
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast