Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The LANE ISN'T FLAT | Topography in Bowling | What it means by Ryan Ciminelli

It never occurred to me that you are downplaying topography. You are absolutely right; most of us will never see a topography map of our lanes, but that doesn't mean that we can disregard topography... we can't!

This thread has had 216 views. Topography is, by far, the most important factor in modern bowling. What do you people think? Is it real? Do you adjust for it? How much does it affect you?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    This thread has had 216 views. Topography is, by far, the most important factor in modern bowling. What do you people think? Is it real? Do you adjust for it? How much does it affect you?
    Don’t expect 216 replies. This is at least the third time I’ve checked this thread to see what you, Al, and Boatman are saying.

I think it is real, and not just from watching the Kegel video of Norm and PDW getting lined up on one lane and moving to one that had been tweaked to the maximum amount out of level while being within USBC tolerances. I have bowled numerous times on a pair that is used in our sport league. Doesn’t matter what oil pattern is on lane 49, there is a spot that on most lanes would be in the breakpoint zone that is like a black hole. Some of the high rev guys can get around it to the outside but most people have to get to the inside of the dead spot.

I do try to adjust for it when I realize what’s going on.

It probably affects me more than it should for two reasons. While I’m pretty good at observing my ball going down the lane I still tend to lose track of it as it hits the pins. Secondly, I don’t practice getting out of my comfort zone nearly enough.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The majority of those views are from spambots and bots that are indexing for the search engines. Theres only 12 actual members who have looked at this one or more times.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I think it is real, and not just from watching the Kegel video of Norm and PDW getting lined up on one lane and moving to one that had been tweaked to the maximum amount out of level while being within USBC tolerances.
    You have inadvertently identified one of the biggest problems concerning topography; USBC lane certification. A few years ago I served on the Board of the local USBC Association. Part of what we did was yearly certification of lanes. It was a joke! If you checked a particular part of the lane and found that it was out of spec, you just moved forward or back on the lane a few feet until you found a spot that passed! Now, this year was the last time that the local Association is responsible for lane certification. Beginning next year, lane certification is going to be handled by the National Association... scary, scary thought!

Chats: 32

I do believe in lane topography we have older houses here its still possible to bowl on wood so you can tell the differences pretty easily. The certification process is a joke always has been and I seriously doubt the new system will be any better.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12