Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gardening Thread

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Smile Gardening Thread

Ok so seeds are popping up at local stores and plant nurseries starting to get some info out to the public. So do you have any plans for gardening this year?

Do you use seeds or buy potted plants?

Tell us what your gardening plans are?
    Go Broncos!

Chats: 3

I always keep a small herb garden in a long planter on my porch and some hanging baskets and large planters with flowers. I planted a new climbing rose bush last spring, so I'm anxious to get out, cut it back, and see how big it gets this year. I planted some new irises and day lilies too, they should flower this year. Plus I'd like to add some purple salvia to my corner garden.
    I always start out with plants, not seeds. The squirrels are horrible at digging around in the gardens....so the seeds never get a chance to mature.

should be a lot of work....my yard was over run with morning glories last year, they cling onto anything and suck the life out of it....I'm going to have to get out and spray with herbicide once a week to keep it under control.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries

Wow you have squirrels? I would love them, until they ate all of my plants. Yet how cool
    Go Broncos!

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries

I am thinking about a flower graden, yet in Colorado the weather sucks. So I am not sure yet
    Go Broncos!

If I were you, I'd plant wildflowers native to your area. They're pretty and they're used to the weather conditions for your area, making them hardy and requiring minimal care. I've got some tall prairie grasses, black-eyed susans, sunflowers, queen annes lace, and bachelor buttons in a garden...and it's gorgeous.

and the squirrels.....they're everywhere! My porch is covered in dirt every morning thanks to those furry little bastards. lol
    High Game-279
    High Series-733

Chats: 0

Last year I planted Iris and Tulip bulbs. I got a lot of foliage from the tulips, but no flowers. A few of the Irises bloomed. Already there is a lot of tulip leaves, I'm hoping to get some flowers this year. The Irises are showing leaves, again I hope to get flowers.

A few years ago I planted tomatoes, corn, green beans, green peppers, and watermelon. I got a few small melons that were very tasty. The rest of the plants produced enough for the girls an myself with some to give to friends, especially the tomatoes and peppers.

I haven't decided if I'm putting in the vegetable garden or not yet. Governor Terminator has declared the state in a severe drought and will enact serious water restrictions. I don't want to put in the garden and find out I can't water it.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

Chats: 0

As I left the house to go coach, I noticed my 1st Tulip getting ready to open. On closer look at the garden, it looks like a few of the Irises are soon to be in bloom also. My Roses started to flower last week. Spring is finally in the air!
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

My crocus should bloom soon, and my tulips are up about 3 inches out of the ground....haven't gotten a chance to check on my hyacinths yet...but it's looking like an early spring for us here.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThongPrincess View Post
    As I left the house to go coach, I noticed my 1st Tulip getting ready to open. On closer look at the garden, it looks like a few of the Irises are soon to be in bloom also. My Roses started to flower last week. Spring is finally in the air!

That is great. I am thinking about going with some of these companies that have set garden designs for a set price. Maybe it will all come out looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    My crocus should bloom soon, and my tulips are up about 3 inches out of the ground....haven't gotten a chance to check on my hyacinths yet...but it's looking like an early spring for us here.
    I hope with time I will learn all of the names of flowers I will have. Maybe even the Latin names! Ok probably not. lol
    Go Broncos!

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Early spring? Hmm, is this evidence of global warming? I used to garden when I lived in rural Indiana and there weren't many squirrels around. What I had problems with were rabbits. It's kind of an old wives tale, but a border of marigolds did seem to discourage them. We grew corn, tomatoes, onions, garlic, watermelons, peas and herbs. Watermelons were very aggressive. I learned to hate weeding.

They sell roses down here, but I never see them growing anyplace. I suspect all the molds and fungus kill them off. They grew great up north.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast