Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dang Corona Virus

Ringer
    Chats: 0

The county shutdown measures are a joke. Most "non-essential" businesses are staying open despite mandates by local officials to close. In this area, PA Governor Wolf decreed that all non-essential retail stores, entertainment venues, gyms, etc. in my county were to close until 3/27. So far, that has gone largely ignored. The State is closing all state run liquor stores on Tuesday, so now there will be a run on those stores today and tomorrow since here in PA they are the only place to buy hard liquor. I am assuming grocery stores will still be able to sell beer and wine as usual.

Bowling centers remain open, some regional association tournaments have been canceled while others are just postponed. Just this past Thursday night, there were over 300 people in the bowling center. Friday night leagues ran as usual. Some people decided not to bowl, but there were plenty of subs ready to bowl in their place. There was a local "walk-in" bowling tournament this morning, and 32 bowlers participated. Pretty healthy turn out given the doom and gloom being spouted all over the media.

If the spread of the virus continues as expected, I wager there will be more strict enforcement of the closure orders and the bowling centers will be "compelled" to close. However, as of now there is no penalty for them to remain open and no one is enforcing the Governor's closure request.

High Roller

Yeah I'm in western PA here. Hadn't heard about the State stores closing but I'm not a drinker so probably missed that one. Our center has 40 lanes so at the most we might have about 125-150 people in there tops. I think there is one night where 2 leagues bowl and it's a full house but I'm not there that night so not sure. On Tuesdays we have my 16 team league (5 man teams) then the womens leaugue is there too but they only have about 6 or 7 teams. The rest of the center is open bowling but there aren't alot that show up for that on Tuesday nights.

Wife works at the local school and all public schools are closed for at least 2 weeks. She just got a recorded call from her Superintendent saying they will not be paid for this time. 12 month employees will be paid but 10 month employees will not. She has about 80 sick days so wonder if she can use those?
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Some leagues seemed to be canceled, but because most bowling alleys are registered as "recreational" instead of "entertainment" or "sports" centers, they do not yet have to close (or at least that's what the manager at my local bowling alley said). They seem to be pretty empty, though. I guess lots of people are self-quarantining.

By the way, if anybody is finding empty shelves and can't get what they want, try a dollar store, like Dollar Tree. When everywhere else was packed and out of hydrogen peroxide, hand sanitizer, tissues, Vitamin C, hand soap, and bleach, Dollar Tree had only a few people in it and the shelves were fully stocked. Seemed like a good untapped resource. Just thought I'd share that observation with y'all. It's not the first place people think to look.
    "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might."
    - Ecclesiastes 9:10 (KJV)

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums.

My home house is closed to the public. Only leagues are going to bowl. They are uping there cleaning routines (this is always a clean well kept place) so no open bowling. My season is over as I tore a bicep tendon so don't effect me for practice. Be safe everyone. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Just heard that all leagues at Red Rock Lanes in Las Vegas have been cancelled until after April 1.

Just a update on where I am in n.y. Bowling alleys,rest. gyms will be closed after 8:00 p.m. I also got a text from a team mate and was told the rest of the season is canceled.
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by SRB57 View Post
    Just a update on where I am in n.y. Bowling alleys,rest. gyms will be closed after 8:00 p.m. I also got a text from a team mate and was told the rest of the season is canceled.
    Connecticut is working in unison with NY in shutting down all bars, restaurants, and gyms at 8 p.m. the news article did not specifically say bowling alleys. Don’t know what this will mean for the 6p.m. Leagues that never finish before 9. I’m dreading calling to find out what happens with my league that starts at 7:30.
    John

High Roller

just got a text that our league is postponed for at least 2 weeks. summer league is also on Tuesdays and starts the Tuesday after ours ends and they said as of right now they aren't planning to push back summer league so ours will likely be shortened but at the rate we are going i'm betting just cancelled completely for the rest of the season
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Leagues here have been suspended till who knows when. Heres the post they put out.

To Our Bowlers and League Community,
    As we diligently work with local, state and federal guidance to keep all of our guests and staff safe, we will continually update our policy for operations. The City of Tampa, the CDC, and the state of Florida has requested that all restaurant and bars or other hospitality business not have more than 50 person groups at any given time and to practice social distancing protocols during operations.
    Effective Immediately, all scheduled league competition is postponed for the foreseeable future. Some leagues may continue the schedule when the COVID-19 crisis has passed, and others may simply start their next season. Pin Chasers will make those decisions on a league by league basis in conjunction with league leadership. League bowling fees will not be due during those weeks affected. League payments will resume when the league resumes play. In the case of a shortened season, prize lists will be amended in accordance with USBC guidelines. We appreciate our league community’s cooperation as we navigate this unprecedented circumstance.
    Effective Immediately, all Pin Chasers locations will operate at half capacity and utilize only half of the lanes to help guests maintain suggested distance between themselves and others in the bowling centers. These changes to operations combined with stringent disinfecting practices instituted last week exceed requests by our local, state and federal for hospitality businesses.
    As mentioned in previous advisories for our staff and guests, this is a fluid situation and subject to change daily. We will keep all of you up to date with any changes to our policies or practices during this time. Thank you for your more than 60 years of support, and it is always our privilege and pleasure to offer bowling, food, and fun to our community. We can’t wait to get back to our normal operations for you all. If you have any questions, please call

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Yeah, it's pretty locked down here for the Chicago Land area. All of my son's bowling activities are suspended to at least April. My league was suppose to roll last night and all other leagues after Monday were affected. To my surprise, my league had a Team Captains meeting before practice and declared the rest of the season canceled. I understand why, but still very upsetting that everything has just come to a screeching halt. Meanwhile, it feels like I need to put on some war paint to go and get groceries for my household.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast