Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dang Corona Virus

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Default Dang Corona Virus

My Thursday afternoon league has been cancelled for this week due to concerns about Covid-19. This was hours after the league secretary had sent a few e-mails saying that we would definitely be bowling, but would have a meeting 5 minutes before the start of practice to discuss the situation. Most of the league is older and some have some serious underlying health problems. I’m sure he was bombarded with replies that whole teams would be staying home.

Anyone else run into this? How bad is this going to be for the alleys? I have to find out if we still have to pay lineage for weeks that we don’t bowl, or if we will have to make up these weeks.
    John

We are expecting to hear that up a bit north of you too, no news yet though. General consensus in the classic league last night was that it was probably the last week we'd be there, but we'll see.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I work from home but a guy I work with had to get tested. He lives outside NYC and the attorney that got it up there...well his doctors kids go to school with my co-workers kids. His whole family came back negative. I have never met him in person but talk to him every day.

Haven't heard anything about our league, or any of the leagues yet
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Our entire county is basically shutting down except for essential retail (pharmacies, gas, grocery) and medical and government offices starting tomorrow. Last I heard, the bowling center is business as usual despite the coronavirus initiated shutdowns. I plan to go to league tomorrow, but will probably not be giving five or anything like that.

High Roller

Just read that the NASCAR race this weekend in Atlanta will be closed to fans and heard the mayor of the town they will be at next week is trying to shut it down. Heard something like NHL suspending their season too? Went to Rite Aid today to pick up prescriptions. Wasn't too bad in there. Only a handful of people in there and shelves seemed stocked. At this point I won't be surprised if our league cancels. I hope not but it's not my call.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Just saw that the USBC has postponed nationals until May 1, saying that schedule adjustments will need to be requested if your slot is affected.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Just read that the NASCAR race this weekend in Atlanta will be closed to fans and heard the mayor of the town they will be at next week is trying to shut it down. Heard something like NHL suspending their season too? Went to Rite Aid today to pick up prescriptions. Wasn't too bad in there. Only a handful of people in there and shelves seemed stocked. At this point I won't be surprised if our league cancels. I hope not but it's not my call.
    It's a total frenzy around here in Southeast PA. Stores are packed with people, shelves are bare. Cleaning products, soaps, canned soup, first aid products, paper goods, OTC medications, etc. are virtually impossible to find. People are even starting to hoard breakfast cereals for fear of being stuck at home for weeks. I have never seen anything like it!

Hardly anyone was open bowling at my local center yesterday during the morning and afternoon, which is very unusual. There is typically a healthy open bowling business. However, all leagues bowled as usual last night. 220+ league bowlers in the place. I reached out to someone that works at the center, and they were also surprised that word hasn't come down to close for the next two weeks. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming days.

Pin Crusher

Not getting silly yet in Milwaukee, but I'm sure it's coming. Stopped at the local grocery store yesterday, and it was packed with toilet paper buyers. As of now, we don't have a recorded case in Milwaukee county, and I think only 4 or 5 in the state so far. Might have something to do with the amount of alcohol we run through our systems....

Sadly, they canceled my beloved GatorNationals this week (all the pro classes).
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    My Thursday afternoon league has been cancelled for this week due to concerns about Covid-19. This was hours after the league secretary had sent a few e-mails saying that we would definitely be bowling, but would have a meeting 5 minutes before the start of practice to discuss the situation. Most of the league is older and some have some serious underlying health problems. I’m sure he was bombarded with replies that whole teams would be staying home.

Anyone else run into this? How bad is this going to be for the alleys? I have to find out if we still have to pay lineage for weeks that we don’t bowl, or if we will have to make up these weeks.
    On the bright side:
    One fifth of the league showed up to roll a few practice games.
    Because league was cancelled I could help coach the youth bowling clinic which was moved from Wednesday to Thursday this season, in direct conflict with my league.
    John

High Roller

Went down for some practice today and talked to the owner. Asked him if there was any talk of cancelling or suspending our league. He said nope. If you are coughing or sneezing stay home and get a sub. We have unlimited sub spots on the roster. Not to say the state or feds overrule that but as far as he is concerned we will continue.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast