Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So will the virus finally kill bowling as we know it?

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I can definitely see some leaving. We have a guy on our team that is really struggling this year and admitted he isn't having fun anymore and more than once mentioned not bowling after this season. I'm sure there are more like him that are on the fence that won't come back. And I agree with the small centers closing down. I think ours will be ok as long as the owners can make it until they re-open. It's the only center within about a 15 mile radius and is a nice place with pretty big leagues almost every night so I think they would get enough back right away to at least keep the lights on.
    For me (selfishly) I could see the break as a benefit in a sense. While I do agree with a comment you made later in the thread about the longer you are away from something the easier it is to walk away, there is another side of this coin (especially when talking league bowling). For a few months now I have mentally been disconnected from bowling and really needed a refresh - but with league there is no refresh because of the commitment to the team and the lead-up to state and nationals. Now, with this happening I have been able to separate from bowling for a little bit - it has been a little bit since I have come on the boards, haven't touched a ball, basically have tried to separate my mind from bowling - for my personal experience I think it will be a positive. I'll probably get back in the grind in a couple of weeks, but with how things are going I don't suspect we are going to be bowling the remainder of the spring season. Now there are also greater considerations that take effect - especially the health of the centers we bowl at when thinking about this situation.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    They already said they were talking about the good ol Spock "Live Long And Prosper" hand sign to replace the handshake. I personally can do it just fine, lefty and righty but it's funny how many people can't do it.
    Good thing I can do it, haha. Although I'm pretty sure a wave would work just as well.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    For me (selfishly) I could see the break as a benefit in a sense. While I do agree with a comment you made later in the thread about the longer you are away from something the easier it is to walk away, there is another side of this coin (especially when talking league bowling). For a few months now I have mentally been disconnected from bowling and really needed a refresh - but with league there is no refresh because of the commitment to the team and the lead-up to state and nationals. Now, with this happening I have been able to separate from bowling for a little bit - it has been a little bit since I have come on the boards, haven't touched a ball, basically have tried to separate my mind from bowling - for my personal experience I think it will be a positive. I'll probably get back in the grind in a couple of weeks, but with how things are going I don't suspect we are going to be bowling the remainder of the spring season. Now there are also greater considerations that take effect - especially the health of the centers we bowl at when thinking about this situation.
    One thing that I think will have to change is how house shoes and balls are cared for. The places I worked rarely cleaned the house balls. Even with kids drooling and wiping their snotty noses then shoving their fingers in the balls. Not to mention people shoving their gum down the holes. I would never use those things even in a pinch given what I saw.

The shoes are usually just given that quick spritz of spray which doubtfully does a whole lot. The GM would yell at us telling us if we doused them thoroughly we were wasting money because the spray was expensive. I remember times standing behind the counter wondering which pair of shoes someone turned in that had the major foot odor pouring out of them. When it got crazy busy I know people put them back without any spray at all. In the light of all this I suspect these practices will have to change. I hope so.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Phoney! Was just thinking the other day wondering where you have been...lol.

Yeah a few weeks ago I was ready for a break. I had a 6 week stretch before X-Mas that I averaged 206-207 and thought I had figured it all out. Then a week later I was struggling to break 500. That went on for about 8 weeks and a break would have been welcomed. I was even re-thinking bowling next year and had already ruled out the summer league. The the last 2 weeks I went back to basics and rolled a 593 and 610 so think I'm back on the right path and was looking forward to consistent 600-650's but now it looks like our season may be over. So for me at this point in the season I'd rather be bowling. A month ago I'd be happy I wasn't...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Phoney! Was just thinking the other day wondering where you have been...lol.
    I figured you were. First thing I did when I logged on after checking my messages was look for your trademark "Where's Phonetek?" posts you do when I leave for a while. I guess I came back in the nick of time before you did it. =)
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

lol. figured you had been busy. hope everything works out for you
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123