Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So will the virus finally kill bowling as we know it?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I don’t think you can blame the loss of a bowler who’s not having fun anymore, and who has already hinted about not coming back next year, on the Corona virus.
    Not at all but if they are already on the fence this may push them over. Maybe not. I know the longer I am away from something the easier it is for me to walk away from it.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I would think that most bowling alleys that are local and not owned by big (?) bowling companies (think AMF and BRUNSWICK) will qualify for relief from federal government. They desperately do NOT want small businesses going out of business due to the current crisis and are woeking to provide relief and stimulus to these companies. In addition most of them, if prudent, probably have "interruption of business" insurance but coverage might depend on the terms and type of interruption.

Do not fear bowiling will survive - at least for me.

I’d be bowling right now, if I could. Golf is probably the only sport with more ‘social distance’.

I personally think it will hurt it for a little bit. Depending on how long centers as closed. In my state they are closed till at least sometime next month. May not hurt the bigger centers near me (Stars and Strikes for example) but it could hurt the little family owned lanes near me.
    Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com

I am a proud winner of a Bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Default Sports with Social Distancing

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I’d be bowling right now, if I could. Golf is probably the only sport with more ‘social distance’.
    Fishing = social distancing it is the epitome of the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by taxexpert2 View Post
    Fishing = social distancing it is the epitome of the idea.
    Hiking and biking are up there on the list somewhere, too. If only the parks and hiking trails weren't being closed off due to the Corona... :|

High Roller

Well we have a boat that we keep in a slip at a local marina all summer. Great social distancing opportunity but we keep it stored in an underground mine for winter. Called them today to schedule a pickup to get it home and get it ready and they are booked until middle of next week due to scheduling and they will email us the invoice for us to sign and pay in advance so we won't have any interaction with anyone when we pick it up
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I am going to choose to use an optimistic view. I think once this is all over people are going to be flocking to go do something and the bowling centers will be packed. With the many essential travel only soft lockdowns people will be getting cabin fever and by chomping at the bit. If anything I feel bowling will surge along with everything else. This of course if the centers can go the distance to make it through until that happens. Also if they come up with a vaccine, mere treatment options aren't going to be enough to get people to become social again. That will take time. Bowling won't just go away, it's been around for hundreds of years. Will it ever be the way we knew it? Hmmm....too soon to tell.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I am going to choose to use an optimistic view. I think once this is all over people are going to be flocking to go do something and the bowling centers will be packed. With the many essential travel only soft lockdowns people will be getting cabin fever and by chomping at the bit. If anything I feel bowling will surge along with everything else. This of course if the centers can go the distance to make it through until that happens. Also if they come up with a vaccine, mere treatment options aren't going to be enough to get people to become social again. That will take time. Bowling won't just go away, it's been around for hundreds of years. Will it ever be the way we knew it? Hmmm....too soon to tell.
    I wouldn’t be too sure about it taking a long time for people to resume their old social habits. For men my age, a bit more than a decade older than you, shaking hands is long standing habit. As long as we’re in this limbo of minimized social contact, the old habit will not be replaced by a new form of greeting.
    John

They already said they were talking about the good ol Spock "Live Long And Prosper" hand sign to replace the handshake. I personally can do it just fine, lefty and righty but it's funny how many people can't do it.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast