Thread: Non-Corona Talk Thread

Default Non-Corona Talk Thread

The virus. It's all you hear about these days. It's all that people, the news, the forums want to talk about. I know it's effecting people big-time, but it isn't good to dwell on things you can't change. Here's a bowling thread to hopefully take people's minds off the panic, for at least a little while.

Feel free to talk about anything bowling-related... Just please don't mention the Corona.

Watch any good bowling videos on YouTube lately? Are there any bowling games you like to play at home? What do you think some of the most common mistakes are that pro bowlers make? I just got my Jagged Edge Solid drilled with fingertips, and I've never used fingertips before (see my post on this board for more info); do you have any tips for me?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Last video I watched was the PBA World championship from last Sunday. Kind of hard to discuss it without mentioning the “c” word.

I think you’re going to like the fingertip grips. I resisted going to fingertip grips for years, partly because I was a once a week recreational bowler and partly because I thought it would make it harder to hold onto the ball and that I’d have less control. What I found was that a well fitting fingertip ball is no harder to hold than a well fitting conventional grip and of course much easier to hold than a house ball. The added consistency of a conventional ball is rooted in the fact your fingers have much less leverage with that grip so any changes in wrist rotation or the firmness of the release are muted. While you may find that you’ll have to work on developing a consistent release, the benefits of the improved ball motion will be well worth the time spent.
    John

Thanks for sharing this. I only got in three games with the fingertips, and I noticed how much different everything was. I too worried about having a hard time holding it, but that does not seem to be a problem. One of my big problems is twisting my wrist just the right amount before releasing. Did you have that problem, too?

Don’t twist your wrist during the swing. The whole idea is to cup it a bit in your stance, keep it that way, and then just drop it like a yo-yo when it gets to the bottom of the swing. No need for fancy tricks, as you won’t be able to repeat them anyway.

When I first started with fingertips, I tried a dozen little tricks to ‘make it hook’. When I finally just relaxed my arm completely, the revs came.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Don’t twist your wrist during the swing. The whole idea is to cup it a bit in your stance, keep it that way, and then just drop it like a yo-yo when it gets to the bottom of the swing. No need for fancy tricks, as you won’t be able to repeat them anyway.

When I first started with fingertips, I tried a dozen little tricks to ‘make it hook’. When I finally just relaxed my arm completely, the revs came.
    Thank you for your input. I really don't know what I'm doing, fingertips are new to me, but while I was bowling the manager of the bowling alley came up to me and was giving me pointers. He told me to twist my wrist on the release. My ball was literally riding the gutter all the way down, nice and straight. I suppose I should just keep trying new things until I find something that works. Are you familiar with a Jagged Edge Solid and how it hooks?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    Thank you for your input. I really don't know what I'm doing, fingertips are new to me, but while I was bowling the manager of the bowling alley came up to me and was giving me pointers. He told me to twist my wrist on the release. My ball was literally riding the gutter all the way down, nice and straight. I suppose I should just keep trying new things until I find something that works. Are you familiar with a Jagged Edge Solid and how it hooks?
    Watch JR Raymond. He just released a cool video using a styrofoam ball at home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK8pbzWRSE8
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Watch JR Raymond. He just released a cool video using a styrofoam ball at home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK8pbzWRSE8
    Thanks! I'll certainly watch it when I have more time.