Thread: Greetings Friends LTNS

Chats: 0

Default Greetings Friends LTNS

I'm guessing that at least a few have been wondering where I've been, maybe not. Well it's a bit complicated to say the least. I'll start by saying I'm back in Illinois. I have been back since late November and it's permanent for at least a while. Wifey had her back surgery back in August which was only weeks after getting the new job. I came back up for it for a couple weeks until she was able to get back on her feet. The surgery initially went well but it was far more extensive than they anticipated. I was able to go back down and continue working and bowling. I was able to come back up for a week in Sept but the recovery wasn't going well.

Unfortunately instead of her getting better she got worse, much worse. I ended up having to quit my dream job and move back in November. She went completely downhill and is now confined to a wheel chair and spending all her other time in a recliner in our family room. She cannot even sleep on a bed. We don't know went wrong and the doctors haven't really come up with much. She's in a lot of pain all of the time. The only treatment option they feel she has is to insert a spinal stimulator to control pain receptors. It doesn't do anything to help her walk again. The deterioration of her spine is extensive so bottom line the surgery failed.

Since then I have been unemployed because of the constant care she needs. I can't go back to my former job here in IL because since I've left they have had to let others go and cut hours. In addition to all this, since about June of last year I was having issues with my right arm, it would usually hurt when trying to sleep. Being how I am I thought nothing of it. When down south I was bowling a ton and at the top of my game. Suddenly my follow through was very erratic and I couldn't figure out why. Even watching video it was literally different every ball. Furthermore, I'd get to like game 5 in a day and my arm was just fatigued. It made no sense to me.

Finally after I got back I made an appointment to see a doctor. I was told it was simply bursitis. I went to an orthopedic and he gave me a shot of cortisone. I figured "Okay, a couple days I'll be good to go." Well, that wasn't true. It got worse and worse. I went back, got some scans done and it turns out I tore my bicep muscle, and have severe bone inflammation. I have no clue how I did it and bowling wasn't to blame. Doc says I needed some physical therapy. Okay, so I did that and it still got worse. In the meantime one night I got up and got tangled on my wife's wheelchair and fell smack on the wood floor right on my shoulder. That sure didn't help matters any.

Since then I went for an MRI and in addition to the previous issues, now I have a torn rotator cuff and a large pocket of fluid causing restricted range of motion. I was told two days ago that surgery is the only fix. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen because of the Coronavirus because it's not considered essential surgery. I understand that so I just have to deal with it. One of the things with this is my range of motion for my right arm is very low. I can't reach my wallet in my back pocket and I can't raise it enough to wash my hair in the shower. Doc says, soon it's going to freeze in place and won't move which they call frozen shoulder. I'm going to keep stretching it the best I can every day to try to avoid that. Taking care of wifey with one good arm and limited second arm is bad enough. Needless to say even if the centers were open I won't be doing it again for at least a year minimum even after surgery. Biggest problem is, with the restricted movement I keep trying to do tasks like normal forgetting about the restrictions and I end up on my knees grasping my arm for 10 minutes. Well, I've been using it normally for 48 years, it's hard NOT to you know?

So I guess I got to live the good life for a very short time. I was absolutely killing it on the lanes and a great job. Funny how life goes. Now with the pandemic it's ironic how I really don't even care about bowling or the job either. That suddenly became unimportant, now it's about survival. When the stay at home thing gets lifted I will have to figure out a way to work. Likely not going to be at a bowling center. I can't exactly do much at a bowling center one armed, can't tend bar, can't fix a pin spotter. Technically I'll be in the same situation as a huge population of America except I also have to find a way to make sure my wife gets the care she needs while I'm not at home. I'm not giving up though. I'm not giving up on TN or bowling, it WILL happen again and we WILL make it there.

I wish I had a better story to tell. Honestly I've been avoiding coming on here for a while because it's rather depressing to say the least. However, with this virus pandemic going on, the past few months are pretty moot anymore so I have nothing to lose by telling the story. It's good to still see people posting on here, I've read through a few. I needed a break from the rest of the social media and I can only binge watch so many TV shows. LOL
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I’m glad you’re back here on the boards, and sorry to hear that life is putting you and your wife through the wringer.
    John

Thank you J. Meh, it is what it is. Right now I'm more concerned with keeping them safe and healthy. Nothing else matters. I got where I was once, I will do it again. I already have a plan in the works don't worry. =)
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

That sucks. Hope everything works out. And don't be so hard on yourself about the one arm thing. I've been doing it for 47 years...lol. I was in a bad car wreck when I was 4 and can't use my right arm at all. Granted I have 47 years of experience getting used to it but it an be done. Where there's a will there's a way
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    That sucks. Hope everything works out. And don't be so hard on yourself about the one arm thing. I've been doing it for 47 years...lol. I was in a bad car wreck when I was 4 and can't use my right arm at all. Granted I have 47 years of experience getting used to it but it an be done. Where there's a will there's a way
    The arm thing is more of a mental issue than anything. Given that I am a high energy person who can't sit still I don't like having limitations, it drives me crazy. Being told that I shouldn't do something is easier to ignore than not being able to do it. LOL There are times I sit here literally wanting to tie my arm to a door knob and just yank it the directions it's supposed to go and don't anymore. Of course I won't do anything that drastic.

If this was merely frozen shoulder that is basically the fix, they sedate you and grab your arm and move it through the full range of motion, hence freeing it up. The thought of that makes me cringe but I did ask my doctor to do it so I can get on with my life. Unfortunately given what's going on with it, he said if he did that the effects would be very temporary and it would go right back where I am now. That's why surgery is the only fix.

I still try to do things that are at least constructive to keep busy, most of the time it doesn't end well. The other day I changed the oil on wifey's car. It was WAY over do and I had the stuff. I wasn't stupid, I didn't wrench righty. The problem came when I tried to get up from being under the car, it was another of those 10 minutes in agony situations. Then 10 minutes more of agony listening to wifey saying, "See I told you not to do it". Augh! I got it done nonetheless! LOL

I am seriously pissed that I can't bowl though, I've been complaining to my doctor about it since visit one. They say everything happens for a reason but for the life of me I can't understand why I was meant to come back to bowling after 15 years, get really kick *** at it again only to then have it taken away from me. LOL Kinda cruel if you ask me. =)
    Bowling Center Manager

Jeez dude, I am sorry to hear that. Just remember that all things are temporary, and i know you’ll find a way through to the light.

Wow!! I am very sorry to hear your situation. It almost sounds like the book of Job were everything this man had was taken away. On the upside, he ended up way better than he started. Just keep the faith, pray, and PUSH (Pray Until Something Happens)!

Sorry to hear - that's a lot of challenging and bad things piling on all at once. I hope that things get better for you and your family.