Thread: Might want to get ready for long term storage of your balls.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Might want to get ready for long term storage of your balls.

Since all bowling has effectively come to a stand still for a indefinite time period, You might want to see about getting your equipment ready for long term storage.

I would suggest,
    1-remove all tape from your thumb holes and clean the hole if needed. Tape left in a hole a long time can get difficult to remove and/or leave sticky residues.
    2- If you have interchangeable thumbs, remove the insert. While it may be unlikely, you don't want to run the risk of it getting stuck in the hole for whatever reason.
    3- If possible use this time to resurface and de-oil your equipment. If you can't do that at least clean them thoroughly.
    4- Find a good place to store them, somewhere that the temperature stays constant.
    5- Try not to sit them on a hard surface, put them in your bag or a ball box.
    6- A recommendation to help reduce the chance of cracking is to store the ball in a ziplock bag or wrapped with plastic wrap or a plastic bag. You want as tight a fit as you can get, to insulate the ball from the outside air and store at room temperature.
    7- Another recommendation to help reduce the chance of cracking is to rotate the ball a quarter turn every few weeks.

Long term Ball storage and cracking
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...e-and-cracking
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-30-2020 at 12:33 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thank you so much for your tips, I hadn't thought of that. I store my bowling balls in vintage single ball bags from the '70s or '80s. Could that pose a problem long-term, or do you think that could be a problem? The bags are in great shape, and the balls sit on frames rather than on flat surfaces.

Stinks that I have to think about long-term storage. I just got my ball drilled, and I want to practice!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    Thank you so much for your tips, I hadn't thought of that. I store my bowling balls in vintage single ball bags from the '70s or '80s. Could that pose a problem long-term, or do you think that could be a problem? The bags are in great shape, and the balls sit on frames rather than on flat surfaces.

Stinks that I have to think about long-term storage. I just got my ball drilled, and I want to practice!
    I dont think there would be any problem, at most depending on if the frames are cushioned. I might would lay a small towel on the frame (bowling towel, washcloth etc. ) so theres no hard points pressing aganst the ball.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I dont think there would be any problem, at most depending on if the frames are cushioned. I might would lay a small towel on the frame (bowling towel, washcloth etc. ) so theres no hard points pressing aganst the ball.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll do that.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Since all bowling has effectively come to a stand still for a indefinite time period, You might want to see about getting your equipment ready for long term storage.

I would suggest,
    1-remove all tape from your thumb holes and clean the hole if needed. Tape left in a hole a long time can get difficult to remove and/or leave sticky residues.
    2- If you have interchangeable thumbs, remove the insert. While it may be unlikely, you don't want to run the risk of it getting stuck in the hole for whatever reason.
    3- If possible use this time to resurface and de-oil your equipment. If you can't do that at least clean them thoroughly.
    4- Find a good place to store them, somewhere that the temperature stays constant.
    5- Try not to sit them on a hard surface, put them in your bag or a ball box.
    6- A recommendation to help reduce the chance of cracking is to store the ball in a ziplock bag or wrapped with plastic wrap or a plastic bag. You want as tight a fit as you can get, to insulate the ball from the outside air and store at room temperature.
    7- Another recommendation to help reduce the chance of cracking is to rotate the ball a quarter turn every few weeks.

Long term Ball storage and cracking
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...e-and-cracking
    Ok, Thanks the tips!! I usually follow all of these tips except for the tip #7. That's probably why my Ebonite TPC Shooter has the dreaded split ring around the ball now. It sat in the bottom of a closet inside a old bag with towels under each ball. I just never thought about rotating them every few weeks.

Wow. Thanks for the tip. Now if someone can tell me how to get my ball out of my locker at the bowling alley it would be great. It is there and soooo lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by taxexpert2 View Post
    Wow. Thanks for the tip. Now if someone can tell me how to get my ball out of my locker at the bowling alley it would be great. It is there and soooo lonely.
    That stinks, dude. Maybe you can look up the contact info for somebody who works there, and see if they can help you?

High Roller

I have 2 of mine at the center. My Radical Conspiracy and my Hammer Black Widow Gold are in the storage room at the center. They will be there when we return I'm sure. Hope they are still ok but the BWG is over 2 years old and I hardly use the Conspiracy anymore so if I have to replace them I will.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!