Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Bowling center reopening

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    My center just announced they are opening 6/16. They are having a meeting on 6/23 about summer league. That league will start that same night after the meeting. Our summer league used to be 2 man teams so 4 to a pair. Now they said they will do 3 man teams this summer. Probably to keep it to 6 to a pair and maybe skip every other lane? Doubt I will bowl the summer league as I had planned to sit out even before Covid hit.
    That is interesting. So they are reopening one day after going to the "green" phase? It is surprising they plan to increase the number of bowlers on a pair. Please keep us updated on how they structure the leagues (if the state even allows sports leagues to resume...some states are not allowing leagues to resume, only "recreational" business.) Locally here we have been hearing that it will need to be one lane between bowlers. The USBC is now allowing sanctioned leagues to bowl on a single lane instead of alternating lanes to help abide by the every other lane restriction.

That would mean a league that would normally use lanes 1-8, for example, would use lanes 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15. Then immediately after they are done bowling, the center would activate lanes 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 while they clean/sanitize the tables, chairs, consoles, etc. of 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15.

My center just announced they are opening 6/16. They are having a meeting on 6/23 about summer league. That league will start that same night after the meeting. Our summer league used to be 2 man teams so 4 to a pair. Now they said they will do 3 man teams this summer. Probably to keep it to 6 to a pair and maybe skip every other lane? Doubt I will bowl the summer league as I had planned to sit out even before Covid hit.
    Where is your bowling alley, if you don't mind me asking? I am really looking forward to bowling again!

Just heard that Earl Bowl is planning to reopen on the 19th. Every other lane. Yay!

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    Just heard that Earl Bowl is planning to reopen on the 19th. Every other lane. Yay!
    A lot of businesses in this area (salons, bowling centers, theaters, etc.) are getting way hung up on going "green" exactly 2 weeks after we go "yellow" tomorrow. That date has never been made official, and it is all hinging on the Governor making that decision based on a whole bunch of factors. It's great to be optimistic, but I won't believe it until it actually happens and am not getting overly excited about it yet.

In the case of Montgomery County, at the weekly update meeting last week a reporter specifically asked if we would be going "green" on June 19th, and the county representative said that was entirely up to Gov. Wolf and they couldn't guarantee anything. They went on to say that if new cases of the virus do not continue to trend downward it could delay getting to the "green" phase. Of course Montco is still averaging 80 new cases per day which is higher than what the Gov. would like to see. So, who knows what will actually happen?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    That is interesting. So they are reopening one day after going to the "green" phase? It is surprising they plan to increase the number of bowlers on a pair. Please keep us updated on how they structure the leagues (if the state even allows sports leagues to resume...some states are not allowing leagues to resume, only "recreational" business.) Locally here we have been hearing that it will need to be one lane between bowlers. The USBC is now allowing sanctioned leagues to bowl on a single lane instead of alternating lanes to help abide by the every other lane restriction.

That would mean a league that would normally use lanes 1-8, for example, would use lanes 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15. Then immediately after they are done bowling, the center would activate lanes 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 while they clean/sanitize the tables, chairs, consoles, etc. of 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15.
    I would guess they are increasing the number on each team because they will be using every other lane. Instead of the league taking twice as many lanes it will only take one and a half times more.
    John

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I would guess they are increasing the number on each team because they will be using every other lane. Instead of the league taking twice as many lanes it will only take one and a half times more.
    Although it also potentially splits teams up, and that might be a deal breaker for people who have specific people they want on their team.

High Roller

Where is your bowling alley, if you don't mind me asking? I am really looking forward to bowling again!
    Sims Lanes. Beaver Falls, PA. (hometown of Joe Namath) Just off the turnpike about 12 miles from the Ohio line. We are about 5 hours from Philadelphia.

Yeah, I think going to 3 man teams will reduce the number of teams so they can keep some lanes open. We typically had 40 teams with 2 per team. We also had alternates (we had 3 on our team and we rotated weeks). I'd guess a total of about 100 or so members total but I doubt all 100 will sign up for the summer league after everything that has happened.

I'm in Lawrence County. We went green last week. Beaver County still has not gone green. Every county in the western half of PA will be green by tomorrow except Beaver County which is ridiculous. There is a nursing home in Beaver County (Brighton Manor) where 90% of the cases and 90% of the deaths occurred. Take those numbers away and they are on par with all other counties around here.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Sims Lanes. Beaver Falls, PA. (hometown of Joe Namath) Just off the turnpike about 12 miles from the Ohio line. We are about 5 hours from Philadelphia.

Yeah, I think going to 3 man teams will reduce the number of teams so they can keep some lanes open. We typically had 40 teams with 2 per team. We also had alternates (we had 3 on our team and we rotated weeks). I'd guess a total of about 100 or so members total but I doubt all 100 will sign up for the summer league after everything that has happened.

I'm in Lawrence County. We went green last week. Beaver County still has not gone green. Every county in the western half of PA will be green by tomorrow except Beaver County which is ridiculous. There is a nursing home in Beaver County (Brighton Manor) where 90% of the cases and 90% of the deaths occurred. Take those numbers away and they are on par with all other counties around here.
    Thanks. Been to Beaver, but never bowled there. I'll have to look into that place.

High Roller

Thanks. Been to Beaver, but never bowled there. I'll have to look into that place.
    Beaver is only about 7 or 8 miles from B.F. Our marina we keep our boat at is about 1/2 mile from Beaver (Bridgewater). When you get off the PA turnpike at the B.F. exit you go towards Ellwood City and Sims is about 1/2 mile from the exit ramp. 40 lanes and all about bowling. Very few video games. If you are there it is for bowling. They have a bar and food too but you get the point. Pretty nice place and kept in good shape.

Just a side note, Rochester Bowl is about 10 miles away and is where Woody Harrelson bowled in one of the scenes in Kingpin. Haven't seen the movie in so long I couldn't even tell you which scene but I bowled there once and from what I remember I think it's only like 8 lanes. It's in about a 4 story building and IIRC it's on the 2nd floor.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Beaver County is going "green" on June 12th, so that is something to look forward to!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast