Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Our Bowling center reopening

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    The mask subject is a very polarizing issue these days. It is turning in to some sort of political/constitutional rights type of issue when it is none of those things. It is simply a new way of life for American citizens and it is very difficult for people to adapt to changes in the traditional American lifestyle. There are people out there who will use any excuse available to not wear a mask. At the same time, there are certainly people who shouldn't wear masks. If that is the case, they should make every effort to go to stores during times set aside for at-risk customers or work with the store to get what they need in accordance with reasonable modifications afforded to them by the ADA.

The main thing to remember is that the purpose of the mask is to protect other people. Unfortunately, it is becoming increasingly obvious that people are more concerned about their comfort than they are helping protect each other from a highly contagious virus.

There are specific situations where someone will be required to prove a health condition (insurance policies, employers, benefit eligibility, etc.) Those situations are the exception, rather than the norm. Outside of those types of scenarios, no one has to prove anyone to anything. I never said they did.
    Did you hear the CDC announce that asyptomatic carriers are “very rare”? If somebody has symptoms, then of course they should wear a mask. If somebody is able to wear a mask without posing harm to their physical/mental health, then by all means do. I'm just saying that those who can't or shouldn't are having a really tough time and people are being brutal to them. They don't deserve the backlash they are getting. It makes me angry at the way they are being treated. People should really think twice before judging somebody without a mask, as they may have a very good reason.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    Did you hear the CDC announce that asyptomatic carriers are “very rare”? If somebody has symptoms, then of course they should wear a mask. If somebody is able to wear a mask without posing harm to their physical/mental health, then by all means do. I'm just saying that those who can't or shouldn't are having a really tough time and people are being brutal to them. They don't deserve the backlash they are getting. It makes me angry at the way they are being treated. People should really think twice before judging somebody without a mask, as they may have a very good reason.
    The asymptomatic studies are largely inconclusive and change regularly. A few weeks ago, the World Health Organization had to walk back the comments they made about asymptomatic transmission being very rare and basically admit that it is too difficult to determine. There are also pre-symptomatic people who are infected, go out in public for a few days before exhibiting symptoms assuming they are OK, and then all of a sudden have symptoms and find out they are positive. This virus is really throwing scientists for a loop and it is still a challenge for them to get a handle on what exactly is going on. It has also been determined there are at least three distinct strains going around. The strain that infected Washington State is different than the strain that infected New York, and the strain in the Upper Midwest is totally different than the other two. That makes it very hard to develop a vaccine.

A few studies have predicted that by the time this pandemic is over, upwards of 70% of the population will have been infected with it. That is 7 in 10 people. I hope to stay in the 30% that can avoid it, but one never knows.

They don't deserve the backlash they are getting. It makes me angry at the way they are being treated. People should really think twice before judging somebody without a mask, as they may have a very good reason.
    It makes me angry at the way many, many people are willing to put other people at risk because they don't want to be inconvenienced by wearing an uncomfortable mask! For every one person that has a "good reason" for not wearing a mask, there are one thousand who just don't want to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    It makes me angry at the way many, many people are willing to put other people at risk because they don't want to be inconvenienced by wearing an uncomfortable mask! For every one person that has a "good reason" for not wearing a mask, there are one thousand who just don't want to do it!
    Wow. I got way more of a reaction with my chatting about masks than I ever did with my religious posts. Sorry folks. I didn't mean to rub anybody the wrong way. I was just trying to offer people a differing perspective. Apparently, differing perspectives get argued with.

I'll just stay out of it. My opinions don't seem very welcome, even if I didn't say anything wrong or say that people shouldn't wear masks. I don't think everybody shouldn't wear masks. I just hate to see people who can't wear one being put through Hades because of it. It's not right. That's all I was saying. Over and out.

High Roller

Wow. I got way more of a reaction with my chatting about masks than I ever did with my religious posts. Sorry folks. I didn't mean to rub anybody the wrong way. I was just trying to offer people a differing perspective. Apparently, differing perspectives get argued with.

I'll just stay out of it. My opinions don't seem very welcome, even if I didn't say anything wrong or say that people shouldn't wear masks. I don't think everybody shouldn't wear masks. I just hate to see people who can't wear one being put through Hades because of it. It's not right. That's all I was saying. Over and out.
    Yep. And that is why I quit posting here. Been attacked too many times. Not agreeing or disagreeing with your view but confirming your thoughts on how people are treated here. I still read the threads but haven't posted here in a couple of weeks now except in the results thread
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Yep. And that is why I quit posting here. Been attacked too many times. Not agreeing or disagreeing with your view but confirming your thoughts on how people are treated here. I still read the threads but haven't posted here in a couple of weeks now except in the results thread
    Thanks Boatman. I noticed that you vanished, and thought that may have been why, but I wasn't sure. It stinks that often even the non-bowling posts get attacked. It feels like highschool again, where you either group-think with the crowd or get bullied by the crowd. Funny thing was, I wasn't even disagreeing with wearing a mask!

Ringer

With respect to the mask posts, I wouldn't consider any of the posts personal attacks. It was more of a point-counterpoint discussion. No one was disagreeing with the assessment that there may be legitimate reasons why someone shouldn't wear one. Based on what everyone posted, I think we can all agree that if you have a legitimate reason not to wear one, don't wear one. If you are able to wear one, and it is mandatory in your community, then there is simply no excuse not to wear it. It is a very passionate subject for people and results in very lively conversations whether here, at the office, at the bowling center, on the news, or wherever it comes up.

The scientific data on this virus changes all the time, and there are numerous conflicting schools of thought on the whole thing.

If anyone felt belittled or bullied by any of the posts that wasn't the intention.

J Daisy: I apologize if I hurt your feelings. Please allow me to explain. I am a 71-year-old with asthma, diabetes, a stent in my heart, and immunosuppressant thanks to daily asthma medication. If I catch the virus, I am dead! I am also a retired Special Education teacher. I would never overlook a persons disabilities in relation to their' wearing a mask, or anything else. It just so happens that prior to your posting, I went to my local bowling center that does require everyone to wear masks, and observed several people who were wearing masks and would approach others (myself included), drop the mask below their mouths in order to be heard, and proceed to talk, well inside of the 6' social distancing guidelines. Personally, I really appreciate you sharing your views on this forum. Please understand that it's just words. Don't let your feelings get hurt. We are all just people, trying to get through this.

Boatman: I apologized to J Daisy. I am not going to apologize to you. You have a special quality: you really want to improve your bowling. Unfortunately, among the hundred or so articles that I wrote for BTM, I often talked about the need for bowlers to learn to use different bowling balls in order to adjust to changing lane conditions. Many bowlers took this advice waaay past where it was mean to go. I feel really guilty about promoting using the magic marble to improve your bowling. I never meant it to go this far! My teaching methods are not always gentle. For example, one time I was giving a lesson to a high-average bowler who was having trouble closing the deal in the tenth frame. Finally, he had a good game going and threw the first strike in the tenth. I said, "OK, what are you going to do next?" He replied, "Throw two more." I proceeded to hand him two bowling balls, and said, "Go ahead." Was that mean? Maybe. What did he do? He threw the next two, one at a time, and never again had a problem "closing the deal."

I am only trying to help you. If you would rather I didn't comment on your posts, please let me know, and I will refrain from posting. Whatever you decide, please don't stop posting. Let me know what you want me to do.

Rob Mautner

Neither of you guys offended me. Some people, like me, just really don't like to argue or have conflict. I'm sorry I started something... I really didn't think what I said was something anybody could argue with. I chose my words especially carefully to avoid conflict, because I've noticed some people on here seem to like it. It didn't work. I don't post much any more for that reason.

However, I would never ask anybody to not post or reply. They have the freedom to say what they want. I just think there's already so much stress and conflict in this world that I/we don't need more of it on a bowling forum, of all places. I'd rather not post than have people argue with posts they don't even disagree with!

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope you stay well. I'll pray for you.

Ringer

It is very difficult to enjoy league bowling these days. My bowling center does not require masks, has made weak attempts to socially distance customers, and is doing the bare minimum to effectively promote the safety guidelines put in place by the state. Last night there were 60-70 bowlers on the league. Only 6 or 7 of us were wearing masks. People were giving each other "five", sitting together at the tables {where you are certainly less than 6ft from the person next to you) and generally acting like it was business as usual.

I suppose I am just not as care-free as other people, but it would be nice to see people take this a little more seriously. It is a privilege to be able to be back to bowling, and the state has permitted bowling centers to reopen. It can also be taken away from us again at a moments notice if the surge of cases is too great or there is some sort of outbreak actually at the bowling center. Customers aren't being screened/temperature checked so it is quite possible for a league bowler to be in there and actively have the virus.

I will continue to wear my mask at all times and stay as far away from non-household members as possible, but there is definitely some inherent risk associated with being in the bowling center for 2 hours each week (as opposed to going to the grocery store for the weekly 20-30 minute essentials run and right back home.)

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast