Thread: 12 lb ball carry

Default 12 lb ball carry

I currently use a variety of storm/roto asym & sym balls--in 14 pounds--70 yrs old but fairly active. Current about 13 ball speed.
    Wondering if I would lose much carry if I tried a 12 pound ball --looking for more ball speed. I realize arm swing height etc could give me more speed, but that sometimes causes balance issues. Some back and knee arthritis issues.

Yes, from 14 lb to 12 lb you would see a tremendous lack of carry. You would also lose the ability to choose different cores as anything under 13 lbs utilizes a generic core (Storm and Roto). Rather than trying to drop weight to obtain more ball speed,, why not use some "weaker" equipment and learn to utilize the ball speed you have. I am 71 years old with massive back and neck problems. I use 15 lb equipment. My ball speed is slightly under 11 mph, and by using less aggressive, symmetrical equipment, I am able to average in the high 190's. By learning to let the ball do the work (roll it rather than throw it), you can save your body, and still bowl decently.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I use 12lb equipment due to physical limitations and currently average 208. Ball speed is 15mph at the pins. For me it was a gradual change in equipment. Used 14lb for years, then dropped to 13lb for years, and have now been using 12lb for the past 8 years or so. I noticed no appreciable change in carry. It is all about entry angle in the pocket. Get the ball in the pocket at the correct angle and it will do the job. I have teammates using 14, 15, and 16lb equipment and there is no noticeable difference in the amount of corner pins, splits, etc. being left between me and the other bowlers.

There are some manufacturers that use the same core shape in the 12lb balls that are used in the heavier weights. The Storm Omega Crux, for example uses the same core shape in 12-16. I actually don't concern myself as much with the shape of the core. The thing you have to watch for is core dynamics. When choosing equipment, I pay careful attention to the dynamics in terms of RG and Differential. I try to avoid anything that has an RG above 2.60 or so, or a differential under 0.030. I also tend to go for layouts that increase the overall differential potential to help with ball reaction.

The most important thing is finding the ball weight that allows you to bowl as pain free as possible. Always being sore during/after bowling can make for a miserable time.

Chats: 55

I so agree with Ryster on this one. After my elbow surgery, I was still in a lot of discomfort the day after bowling and forget the marathon 6 or 8 games of bowling at one time - impossible. I was at 14 lb. I tried a 13# Wild Beast but didn't see much difference in the discomfort.

PSO loaned me a 12 pounder to try out...bowled two days in a row with it and no discomfort!

Did tons of research on bowling ball cores as I knew the lower weights were typically a generic core. Didn't want to spend money for a "name" core and not actually get it. I even emailed some of the ball manufacturers to inquire to the core shape of their lower weights. There are balls out there with the same cores.

As Ryster mentioned, the Omega Crux has the same core as higher weights. I love mine. Thinking about adding the Tropical Surge as a secondary ball. A friend just gave me a Storm Mix, not sure if I will spend the money to plug and drill - need to do some research on it.

All in all, because my arm swing is looser, I am able to control the motion of the ball better and create the angle to the pocket required to carry. I haven't really lost much in carry and still maintain a decent average. My most important thing now is posting my shot - gives me leverage and accuracy and repeatability.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Default Thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Yes, from 14 lb to 12 lb you would see a tremendous lack of carry. You would also lose the ability to choose different cores as anything under 13 lbs utilizes a generic core (Storm and Roto). Rather than trying to drop weight to obtain more ball speed,, why not use some "weaker" equipment and learn to utilize the ball speed you have. I am 71 years old with massive back and neck problems. I use 15 lb equipment. My ball speed is slightly under 11 mph, and by using less aggressive, symmetrical equipment, I am able to average in the high 190's. By learning to let the ball do the work (roll it rather than throw it), you can save your body, and still bowl decently.
    Thanks for your reply
    Yak

Thanks Classy--yeah I was wondering if I could compensate with more ball speed with the 12.
    I'll probably just stick with my 14's---just wondering.
    Yak

Thanks Ryster----I'm thinking I might be a little more consistent on my spares at 12
    yak

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Ezeeduzit View Post
    Thanks Classy--yeah I was wondering if I could compensate with more ball speed with the 12.
    I'll probably just stick with my 14's---just wondering.
    Yak
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeeduzit View Post
    Thanks Ryster----I'm thinking I might be a little more consistent on my spares at 12
    yak
    One thing that I’m pretty sure that RobM and I will agree on is that what ever ball you use for spares, it should be the same weight as your strike ball. In an ideal bowling world every ball you use should feel exactly the same when you pick it up and put your fingers in it.

Where Rob and I disagree is on losing carry with the lighter ball. If you switch to a 12 pound ball and your speed remains the same, yes, you lose a lot of pin carry. However, since the force is proportional to the square of the speed, if you gain speed your ball may actually hit harder. The down side is that accuracy may suffer if you are consciously trying to throw harder, and you may have a harder time getting the ball to hit the pins at the right angle.
    John