Thread: Please be Careful!

Default Please be Careful!

In the past week we have start to see a marked increase in Covid-19 infections. Some of this has come as a natural result of the reopening of our society. The protests with masses of unmasked people yelling in close proximity to each other has probably added to it as well.

Yesterday I went to my local bowling center to pick up league money for this past season. I decided to bowl a couple of games with my doubles partner being as I haven't touched a bowling ball in nearly 3 months. The center was renting single lanes, every other one, for open bowling. I was terrified to see that I was the only bowler in the entire facility (60 lane center) who was wearing a mask. I really don't understand this.

It's a pretty simple concept; if you are wearing a mask, washing and sanitizing your hands, and keeping 6 feet of social distancing, you cannot get, or spread the virus to others. Yes, wearing a mask is a pain, but it sure beats having to stay inside for another three months. Please be careful, and do your part to keep our society moving forward.

And roughly how many people were actually bowling?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    And roughly how many people were actually bowling?
    30 lanes in use with an average of 2 1/2 bowlers per lane: about 75.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    In the past week we have start to see a marked increase in Covid-19 infections. Some of this has come as a natural result of the reopening of our society. The protests with masses of unmasked people yelling in close proximity to each other has probably added to it as well.

Yesterday I went to my local bowling center to pick up league money for this past season. I decided to bowl a couple of games with my doubles partner being as I haven't touched a bowling ball in nearly 3 months. The center was renting single lanes, every other one, for open bowling. I was terrified to see that I was the only bowler in the entire facility (60 lane center) who was wearing a mask. I really don't understand this.

It's a pretty simple concept; if you are wearing a mask, washing and sanitizing your hands, and keeping 6 feet of social distancing, you cannot get, or spread the virus to others. Yes, wearing a mask is a pain, but it sure beats having to stay inside for another three months. Please be careful, and do your part to keep our society moving forward.
    I agree with the mask comment. Here they are saying that when bowling eventually reopens, the center will require masks when walking around the center or when you are away from your lane. But it will not be required when you are actually bowling. That makes absolutely no sense and defeats the whole purpose. Who wants to be putting on/taking off their mask up to 36 times across 3 games? I plan to just keep mine on the whole time I am in the center. Not to mention, they plan on immediately jumping in to a short season summer league season. I am going to open bowl a few games first, see how it goes, get a feel for how seriously the center and the other customers are taking hygiene, and decide if it seems safe to bowl there once a week. I have a teammate I usually bowl with in the summer that is vehemently opposed to wearing a mask, so I know he will not be masked if he is on our summer league. Plus, he is considered the "high risk" group which one would think would make him want to wear the mask.

With regards to getting the virus...wearing a mask, social distancing, and regularly sanitizing/washing your hands is not a guarantee of safety. It certainly dramatically reduces the likelihood, but there are no sure-fire guarantees. All it takes is that one time you touch a surface the virus is on and then accidentally touch your face, scratch your nose, etc. and you are potentially exposed. Turns out the ground is a huge spreader of the virus. If people don't have on a mask, then sneeze, and the droplets land on the floor and you step on them now it is on your shoes. Then you touch your shoes to take them off, accidentally touch something else before washing your hands...it is a never ending cycle of possible exposure.

An article came out yesterday about the highest risk places to catch coronavirus. Bowling alleys were on the list, and were given a rating of 5 (out of 10) for risk of catching coronavirus. They received the same rating as planes, beaches, and backyard BBQs. Like you said, you just have to be super judicious with where you go, super conscientious with hygiene and limit your time in risky environments.