Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Bowling

Chats: 204

Question Cost of Bowling

Hello All!!

Looks like activity is dwindling. Can't be a surprise considering.

I figured I'd stop in and post because I actually DID go bowling for the first time since leagues shut down in late March. I had some family in town and they wanted to bowl. So, I looked around for a center.

First thing I noticed was that just about every center...if not every center...is back up and running. I don't think we lost any center due to Covid. So, thats good news. Granted, one burnt down a year ago so we already were short a center in the area.

The second thing I noticed was the PRICES. WOW! I'm used to league bowling and occasional practice at league rates. I rarely ever looked at what the "normal people" pay to bowl.

I was trying to do the math in my head, to figure out how much this was gonna set me back, and WOW!

Prices varied per center, but here are the general nuts and bolts of it:

Games: $4.00 - $5.80 per game
    Shoe Rental: $3.25 - $3.99 per pair

So, I'm looking at 5 bowlers and just bowling a couple games and I'm staring at $56!

I guess I never remembered bowling being that expensive! I still remember going to the lanes and spending $2.50 per game and shoe rental was like 50 cents or something. With the cost of bowling so high, I don't know if its a viable business anymore?

It used to be that you'd spend $20-$40 bowling for a couple hours...get hungry...and buy some over-priced drinks and snacks. By the time ya left, you wasted a good part of 3 hours...bowled more than you intended to...and probably spend about $50-$75 to entertain the family.

Now, you're out $50-$60 just to bowl. There's no way you're staying past that second game or going up to the snack bar. You leave the place less than 2 hours later and it feels like when you drop $50 in a slot machine. "Where'd my money go?"

Now, yes...I KNOW there are more cost effective options than taking a group of 5 to a bowling alley on a Saturday afternoon. I used to take advantage of every single ONE of those options when I bowled by myself. I'd bowl in the middle of the night, take advantage of summer passes, league discounts, you name it. But, for most folks looking to experience bowling with the family...going in on a Saturday or a Sunday and bowling a few games is their experience.

Now, did we have fun? Yes. I didn't bowl very well. 2-3 months off seems to have furthered my spare shooting difficulties...only managed a 168 and a 172 (or thereabouts). But, the lanes were garbage and I was just using my Gold Rhino...so, whatever. But, we had fun. Could I afford to go bowling more than once a month with the family? I guess not.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 0

Most lanes in this area will allow up to 5 bowlers bowl on one lane for an hour for $50.00. But that being said, how much bowling can your really do in an hour especially if you decide to have something to eat. I am a league secretary - I bowl for free when I practice. But if that were not the case as a senior I would pay $2.00 per line. or I can bowl for 3 hours for $6.00 in the afternoon or after 9pm after leagues.

Yes bowling can be expensive especially if you add in the costs equipment and maybe a locker. But the average weekend warrior bowler probably does not have those expenses.

What are greens fees for golfing?

High Roller

i always pay 2.50/game when out for fun because i'm a USBC member. my understanding is this is good at any USBC 'approved' house? We also have certain times where its something like $15 for 2 hours
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Although Red Rock Lanes is not planning leagues until September, they are still giving league bowlers a $2.50/game rate.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    i always pay 2.50/game when out for fun because i'm a USBC member. my understanding is this is good at any USBC 'approved' house? We also have certain times where its something like $15 for 2 hours
    My guess is that would be any USBC approved house under the jurisdiction of your local association. Here in Fairfield county there is exactly one certified center. I’m not sure what the exact lineage is for league games. It varies by league and I haven’t been a treasurer in a few seasons. The discounted rate for league bowlers practicing during open bowling is at least $4 per game and youth bowlers and their coaches get an extra dollar off.
    John

So you spent $60 to entertain 5 people for 60-90 minutes? Seems fine to me. If your worried about that being too much 1-2 times a month it’s time to review your budget or find a new job.

On the other side...I’ve saved a ton since shutdowns, and made a very nice amount in the 2 weeks I’ve been back to work...I’d gladly pay $8-10 a game (not forever just as a short term price)just to get out and bowl, and help my home center that I’m sure is hurting for money to make ends meet

Quote Originally Posted by taxexpert2 View Post
    Most lanes in this area will allow up to 5 bowlers bowl on one lane for an hour for $50.00. But that being said, how much bowling can your really do in an hour especially if you decide to have something to eat.
    Thats always been kind've a "trap" at a bowling center. It's not as bad when they shut the lanes off when the time expires...and most centers will let ya finish if you're close to being done....BUT, some centers will just let you keep bowling and tack on an extra hour or will just shut the lanes down with a couple frames left. It's kind've a cruddy way to push bowlers to spend more by holding them hostage.

I've NEVER done the time limit bowling. I can buy one game and take an hour if I want. I've never had a center come over and tell me to hurry it up. I also never usually bowl when it is super busy. If the center knows me, they would just turn the lights out and start glow bowling...that would get me to leave before I even finished my games.

Quote Originally Posted by taxexpert2 View Post
    What are greens fees for golfing?
    I think it varies greatly by course. Back when I occasionally would go smack the ball around (I can't call what I did golfing)...I payed as little as $9 for a 9-hole, Par 3, City course to as much as $75 for 18 holes at a nicer course, at a college, on a weekend. I'm sure you could pay thousands to golf at a PGA course.

With the exception of the bowling stadium in Reno and the newer portion of South Point, I'm not aware of any bowling centers, that host PBA events, where you can't just go in the next day and just bowl at the usual rate as if nothing ever happened.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I'm not aware of a $2.50 USBC member rate.

Is that mandatory that all certified centers honor that at all times? I've never heard of that?

Most centers offer league rates to bowlers that bowl leagues at their center...and there are always different promotions going on...but I've never heard that USBC bowlers can walk into any sanctioned center at any time and get a $2.50 rate. If thats LEGIT...Aslan is getting his bowling ON!!

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I'm not aware of a $2.50 USBC member rate.

Is that mandatory that all certified centers honor that at all times? I've never heard of that?

Most centers offer league rates to bowlers that bowl leagues at their center...and there are always different promotions going on...but I've never heard that USBC bowlers can walk into any sanctioned center at any time and get a $2.50 rate. If thats LEGIT...Aslan is getting his bowling ON!!
    i never tried it anywhere else but thought i read it somewhere
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

If you could go into a sanctioned USBC and get a special rate as a USBC member, that would mean that we actually get something for the money we pay them each year. Not!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast