Thread: Another alley bites the dust

Chats: 1

Default Another alley bites the dust

Just last week I was told that Stelton Lanes in Piscataway, NJ was closing. It was one of the few non-corporate alleys left in my area. Bowlero has been snapping up houses left and right. Stelton took in the Somerset County Fireman's league which has been around for 60 years after Bowlero bounced us from Strike and Spare which they took over to Carolier, which they had also acquired. After refurbishing Carolier, they decided that we were too small of a league and offered us a spot in an alley 20 miles down the road. Stelton told us to come on over, you're welcome in our house. After 3 years, the quarantine did them in. We're back to hunting for a new house. Bowlero invited us back a couple of years ago after they found that bowling parties weren't enough to keep them going. We turned them down. We might have to go back to them, if we want the league to keep going.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Lake Erie Lanes in Vermilion, OH just folded. IMO, this is just shaking out the weak hands.

There’s another center next town over that’s doing just fine. Good food, good atmosphere, good people.

COVID is accelerating the bowling alley attrition, and consolidating the houses a bit. I suspect prices will be much higher in 2021 when the corporate owners look at their earnings.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    COVID is accelerating the bowling alley attrition, and consolidating the houses a bit. I suspect prices will be much higher in 2021 when the corporate owners look at their earnings.
    The owner of our local independent center has steadily been increasing the linage for leagues for years. The league secretary of my Thursday league was shocked when the owner came up to him during our meeting to give the end of season payouts, and said there would be no increase for next season.
    John

Surprisingly enough, we're opening another one in Mid TN. Considering some are struggling, you'd think they'd focus on them instead.
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and ball contest winner
    What's in the bag: Radical Zing/Ebonite Choice Pearl/Track Tactix