Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fall league meeting tonight

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Well week 1 down. The 2 guys that got Covid back in early March in our league when this all started were both there tonight bowling. The one had a lung removed about 10 years ago and was in ICU for a few weeks when this hit. Rules were masks at all times except when sitting at your table with your team and when on the approach. Mask on at all other times. We didn't do any skipping lanes or anything. The other rule was we have a set of tables up near the approach and another set further back. The odd numbered team will sit at the ones closer and the even numbered ones will sit in the back set. By odd/even I mean lane assignments, not team number. So it will alternate.

On to the bowling...my wifes first night ever bowling league. She said she didn't care for it and was bored but she said she signed up so will stick it out...lol. I'm fine if she doesn't want to do it. She bowled 87, 73, and 86 using an 8lb house ball. I was going to order her a ball tonight but wanted to see if she is going to stick with it first.

So we had a bye tonight but league rules state you need to bowl within 50 pins of your teams average to get the win. We couldn't calculate our average until my wife finished her 3rd game. In the end we won game 1 by 14 pins and won the next 2 pretty easily.

I started out with the Uppercut but after about 5 or 6 frames it started cutting too hard so I kept moving in. Switched to the Squatch for game 2 but just wasn't feeling it then end of game 2 switched to the Glam. Struggled with some spares tonight so need to get that figured out.

Had a 205, 173, and 199 (577)
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Well week 1 down. The 2 guys that got Covid back in early March in our league when this all started were both there tonight bowling. The one had a lung removed about 10 years ago and was in ICU for a few weeks when this hit. Rules were masks at all times except when sitting at your table with your team and when on the approach. Mask on at all other times. We didn't do any skipping lanes or anything. The other rule was we have a set of tables up near the approach and another set further back. The odd numbered team will sit at the ones closer and the even numbered ones will sit in the back set. By odd/even I mean lane assignments, not team number. So it will alternate.

On to the bowling...my wifes first night ever bowling league. She said she didn't care for it and was bored but she said she signed up so will stick it out...lol. I'm fine if she doesn't want to do it. She bowled 87, 73, and 86 using an 8lb house ball. I was going to order her a ball tonight but wanted to see if she is going to stick with it first.

So we had a bye tonight but league rules state you need to bowl within 50 pins of your teams average to get the win. We couldn't calculate our average until my wife finished her 3rd game. In the end we won game 1 by 14 pins and won the next 2 pretty easily.

I started out with the Uppercut but after about 5 or 6 frames it started cutting too hard so I kept moving in. Switched to the Squatch for game 2 but just wasn't feeling it then end of game 2 switched to the Glam. Struggled with some spares tonight so need to get that figured out.

Had a 205, 173, and 199 (577)
    Maybe when your wife gets to meet some of the other teams in the league she won’t feel as bored. I know that I do not enjoy bowling the vacant team as much as having some human competition.
    John

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Even though USBC now allows teams to compete on separate lanes instead of sharing a pair it would seem that some people have figured out having two teams share a pair and having every other pair vacant allows the same amount social distancing as putting single teams on every other lane.
    At least some centers are actually following the distancing guidelines. The center I go to is business as usual. Two teams per pair, no vacant lanes in between. They tried getting creative with seating, but it made no difference (and actually made it worse.)

On the Senior summer leagues, they were doing one team per lane with an empty lane in between. Next week, they announced they are changing the Senior fall leagues to two teams per pair, with an empty pair in between. Evening adult leagues will remain business as usual of two teams per pair with no empty lanes in between.

League participation is down 40% for the fall compared to last season. Hopefully things will gradually pick back up over the next several months.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Maybe when your wife gets to meet some of the other teams in the league she won’t feel as bored. I know that I do not enjoy bowling the vacant team as much as having some human competition.
    Maybe but her and another girl on our team are the only 2 females in our league from what I saw...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Went to the doctor today for my annual checkup. The doctor was not pleased to find out I was bowling. Apparently that throws me in the "high risk" group for catching Covid-19, and I was given explicit instructions on how to get tested when, not "if" but when, someone on the league gets the virus. Doctor said it is a certainty that someone on the league will come down with it and not to call their office. Find a local testing site and go there was the instruction.

That discussion certainly didn't inspire confidence in the safety of bowling right now. Thankfully my fall league is looking like it will be only 24-30 total bowlers so hopefully that will help reduce some of the risk.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Went to the doctor today for my annual checkup. The doctor was not pleased to find out I was bowling. Apparently that throws me in the "high risk" group for catching Covid-19, and I was given explicit instructions on how to get tested when, not "if" but when, someone on the league gets the virus. Doctor said it is a certainty that someone on the league will come down with it and not to call their office. Find a local testing site and go there was the instruction.

That discussion certainly didn't inspire confidence in the safety of bowling right now. Thankfully my fall league is looking like it will be only 24-30 total bowlers so hopefully that will help reduce some of the risk.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure somebody in our league will get it again. the only way not to get it would be to stay in your house and nobody come in or out until this is over. Just have to be as careful as you can. My 2 step-sons were tested for the antibodies and both were negative. One is a supervisor at a plastics manufacturer and his employer required it for everyone and the other is a detective so is always around others and one of his co-workers tested positive so anyone that had contact with that person was tested to see if they had ever had it. Not sure why they didn't test to see if they currently had it
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty sure somebody in our league will get it again. the only way not to get it would be to stay in your house and nobody come in or out until this is over. Just have to be as careful as you can. My 2 step-sons were tested for the antibodies and both were negative. One is a supervisor at a plastics manufacturer and his employer required it for everyone and the other is a detective so is always around others and one of his co-workers tested positive so anyone that had contact with that person was tested to see if they had ever had it. Not sure why they didn't test to see if they currently had it
    I agree. Just have to remain as careful as possible. Last night was our last night of summer league. I was so glad that it was over. It was only 10 weeks, but it was not very fun. It is a sanctioned league, but the vast majority of the people on the league treat it as though it was not sanctioned. General disregard for basic league rules, equipment rules, etc. I made the decision last night to find a different summer league next year.

Fall league starts next Friday! It is a competitive, scratch league with a good group of people. Always a fun time.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    I agree. Just have to remain as careful as possible. Last night was our last night of summer league. I was so glad that it was over. It was only 10 weeks, but it was not very fun. It is a sanctioned league, but the vast majority of the people on the league treat it as though it was not sanctioned. General disregard for basic league rules, equipment rules, etc. I made the decision last night to find a different summer league next year.

Fall league starts next Friday! It is a competitive, scratch league with a good group of people. Always a fun time.
    Ours is the opposite. Our summer league is very competitive with guys coming from 50 miles away. Payout for the 1st place team is always at least $1500. Our fall league is more recreational with some older folks in there. I guess the Wednesday fall league is more competitive but I'm not in that one. Our Tuesday league was the only one that was strictly mens but now this year its open to mixed
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123