Thread: Why? Oh, why?

Chats: 55

Default Why? Oh, why?

Lately, it seems every bowling series I leave the 7-9 several times. Different houses, different balls. I am right-handed and these hits are in the pocket. I am assuming this would be a hit that might be driving too hard? Yes, no? Adjustment or no?

Just can't seem to get my head around a right-hander leaving this left-handed leave.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

It sounds like your problem could be a combination of entry angle and late hook. Does your ball "stand up" to the pins before entering the pin deck, or is it still hooking at the pins? What is your "normal" line. What is your ball speed and rev rate? What weight ball do you use?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Lately, it seems every bowling series I leave the 7-9 several times. Different houses, different balls. I am right-handed and these hits are in the pocket. I am assuming this would be a hit that might be driving too hard? Yes, no? Adjustment or no?

Just can't seem to get my head around a right-hander leaving this left-handed leave.
    It does seem like an odd leave. Corner pin leaves are usually the result of “weak” hits, but the nine pin for a right hander is from a shot the doesn’t deflect enough. I would tend to ignore the seven leave and make an adjustment based on nine. Making an adjustment to carry the nine, even if you don’t get a strike, you won’t be likely to leave a nearly impossible split.
    John

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    It sounds like your problem could be a combination of entry angle and late hook. Does your ball "stand up" to the pins before entering the pin deck, or is it still hooking at the pins? What is your "normal" line. What is your ball speed and rev rate? What weight ball do you use?
    Just back from elbow surgery last year, so ball speed is 10.5 to 11; rev rate is around 125; and currently using 12#. Normal line??? I bowl at Brunswick houses so there is no normal. Seems like this year the best line is around 12, 13, 14 out to about 8-10 keeping the ball out in front, as too much belly drives the ball too hard. I'm usually throwing a Tropical Breeze or Motive Thrill, yet sometimes the lanes are oily enough to bring out the Omega Crux. I try and play the lanes as straight as possible due to my lower speed.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

The seven-nine is not unusual given the deflection of a 12# ball. Hopefully, your elbow will get back to the point where you can increase you ball weight in the future. The ball speed is a big issue. My back issues limit my speed to under 11 mph, and I leave more seven pins than ten pins with a 15# ball!

This leave is generally due to late hook and the ball is entering high. You're inside the actual break point at the range finders. On a league shot, I usually just move my feet 1 board left and my mark 1 board right. If you start leaving the 4 pin after that move (better than 7-9!!), at least you know you're close. Try moving back on the approach about 4-6" or, if you have any loft in your ball, try getting the ball down on the lane earlier.