Layout:
65 x 5” x 40

If you are looking for a urethane-shaped reaction but still want something that bites through the pin deck a bit harder, the MOTIV Desert Tank is what you want to have. Continuing the success of the Microcell Polymer technology from the previous two Tanks, this iteration takes the strength of the cover to a new level while adding more control with a higher RG, lower differential core. The nature of MCP, along with the 2000 grit LSS finish, provides the traction and continuation you would like from a lower-volume ball while the Flux core (2.57RG, .015Diff) gives the most control of any MCP ball to date due to its low differential. By lowering the flare potential of this ball, the Desert Tank provides the most urethane-like shape that is not a true urethane. Urethane shape but with MCP technology provides good hitting power longer through the day as the lanes get scorched, or you need ultimate control on a low volume.
Based upon my observations above, I laid my Desert Tank out with a longer pin, lower flaring layout so that as the lanes break down I could move myself back right and have something that is clean and smooth through the track. While the cover does take a game or so to be broken in (this was hooking a solid five feet sooner on the lane than my Forge Fire out of the box!), once there it has lived up to its hype. On a typical league night for myself, game three is a crap shoot between getting ridiculously left and wide open or just trying to control the pocket and make your spares. This Tank has allowed me to throw those options out of the window for a far superior one. The nature of this ball does not make it jump the moment it finds dry which means that I have been able to square back up and play less volatile angles. The MCP coverstock also retains exceptional hitting power, so even though the reaction shape is smooth and controlled, the pin action and carry is up there with true reactive shells. The only times I run into danger with this ball is when there is too much oil up front, meaning there is no way for traction to be gained until after the pattern, or when I attempt to open up my angles too much, trying to make it work harder on the backend than it is designed for.

Trent Overbey
In the Zone Pro Shop
MOTIV Staff
www.motivbowling.com