Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBA League Telecast

Default PBA League Telecast

It seems that every year I feel the need to ask the question: Being that watching the PBA League telecast is the most valuable thing that a league bowler can do to learn about how to adjust to changing lane conditions, why is it that no-one seems to want to discuss it? Did you watch? Did you learn anything?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I have watched everything up to the first 2 games last night but haven't seen the rest. I recorded it so will probably watch it on my lunch break today. I think the biggest thing I learn from it is about the oil patterns and the breakdown. The tinted oil helps to illustrate that. I always watch closely at the beginning when they announce the pattern and Randy describes the way to play them. Since my experience on sport patterns is extremely limited it's nice to learn about them.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    It seems that every year I feel the need to ask the question: Being that watching the PBA League telecast is the most valuable thing that a league bowler can do to learn about how to adjust to changing lane conditions, why is it that no-one seems to want to discuss it? Did you watch? Did you learn anything?
    So far I have watched everything except the finals. Mostly watching as a fan and being disappointed when my favorite bowlers’ teams have been eliminated. Still have two favs in the hunt, one of whom I have known since he was in high school.

I want to discuss the shows. I’ve just been waiting for someone else to start the thread.

I have learned:
    That the pros can make a sport shot look easy.
    Very few teams can overcome an open frame unless the other team opens as well.

I have questions too:
    Does it seem like the racks are slow coming down? Or is it just that the balls are traveling 3-5 mph faster than the average league bowler throws?
    Does it seem like a lot of hits that look like the are dead on the nose are getting strikes instead of splits?
    Do you ever see this many tripped 4 pins in your league?

Thank for starting the conversation Rob.
    p.s. are you rooting for Las Vegas?
    John

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I learned that while the pros are talented with incredible hand/eye coordination, they rely heavily on equipment changes and manufacturer staffers to suggest things to them to try. A couple of players may have tweaked their release slightly, but most were simply adjusting ball speed more than anything. How many times last night did we see Wes Malott try different balls and layouts on his fill shots? I get that he is bowling for a championship, but seriously. Buries two shots in the 10th, then tries a different ball to see what kind of look he has on a lane he won't be bowling on for the next game. Kind of pointless. Weak layout vs. strong layout vs. Rubicon vs. Hyper Cell...whatever. Andrew Anderson was switching back and forth between a Zing and a Bonus. I thought he should have stayed with the Zing as the Bonus seemed a little weak for the shot. He got it to work, but it didn't give him the same kind of area the Zing was giving him.

Tim Mack, the manager of the Lumberjacks, was getting a little overbearing with his constant "One good shot!", "Which ball...weak or strong...", "What did you do there", "What is your plan" type of comments all night. At one point Malott shot him some side eye and said "It was just a bad shot. I plan to throw it better next time, that's all".

The ball tracking analysis showed that all of the right-handed players were basically feeding their equipment up the same line, to the same break point. As a result, the players were sharing intelligence amongst themselves but even that has its limits. Scores started to suffer a little when the left lane started to carry down, leaving some of the players scratching their heads. At one point, Randy Pedersen asked manager Amletto Monicelli what his plan was for his players on the left lane, and even Amletto said basically "good question...I guess we will just adjust as needed but not that much."

Overall, the telecasts were fun to watch and I look forward to the PBA League every year. The telecasts coming up this weekend will probably be better suited for actually learning from since we will be able to focus more on individual bowlers and how they progress through 10 full frames themselves instead of only bowling 2 frames per game.

I always miss tv shows. It’s like impossible to search for bowling on Comcast Cable. Is there a website anywhere that has up to date times on when PBA telecasts happen and what channels so i can find them to dvr?

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by chrono00 View Post
    I always miss tv shows. It’s like impossible to search for bowling on Comcast Cable. Is there a website anywhere that has up to date times on when PBA telecasts happen and what channels so i can find them to dvr?
    I have Comcast. I do a search by keyword for "BOWLING", and will get all bowling telecasts scheduled for the next 14 days both new and repeats, pro, men, women, college.

PBA.com also has the PBA television schedule posted.

There are 2 new shows this Sunday on FS1. First is 5:30-7:30PM, second is 7:30-9:30PM.
    There is also 1 new show on Monday on FS1 at 9PM

https://www.pba.com/Television

Just did a BOWLING keyword search and several of the recent shows are repeating over the next few days as well.
    Last edited by Ryster; 10-01-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    I have Comcast. I do a search by keyword for "BOWLING", and will get all bowling telecasts scheduled for the next 14 days both new and repeats, pro, men, women, college.

PBA.com also has the PBA television schedule posted.

There are 2 new shows this Sunday on FS1. First is 5:30-7:30PM, second is 7:30-9:30PM.
    There is also 1 new show on Monday on FS1 at 9PM

https://www.pba.com/Television

Just did a BOWLING keyword search and several of the recent shows are repeating over the next few days as well.
    Yea Comcast will show stuff, but the new/repeat part isn’t always right and they way the results come up it’s hard to figure out which is what. I’ll check the website thanks

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    I learned that while the pros are talented with incredible hand/eye coordination, they rely heavily on equipment changes and manufacturer staffers to suggest things to them to try. A couple of players may have tweaked their release slightly, but most were simply adjusting ball speed more than anything.
    The pros do have that option to rely on equipment changes more than regular bowlers, They know their equipment and how it performs better than regular players typically do about theirs and have more access to extra equipment. (I have more balls than a lot of players, but I only have a basic knowledge of their comparative performance, which is more than a lot players have. But my level of knowledge to me only lets me make gross adjustments and not quite the fine tuning adjustments that the pros do.)

The ball tracking analysis showed that all of the right-handed players were basically feeding their equipment up the same line, to the same break point. As a result, the players were sharing intelligence amongst themselves but even that has its limits.
    This is one of those things that makes it hard for people to equate what the pros do to a normal league situation. On a average league you don't typically have teams made up of players that all bowl the same line, with similar styles etc. which is going to break down the pattern in a more predictable way. Plus having a team of players that all can coordinate their adjustments off of each others shots.

This is where I'd like to see a real league night with ordinary players on the blue oil, with the tracking. Then go back and dissect those games

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    The pros do have that option to rely on equipment changes more than regular bowlers, They know their equipment and how it performs better than regular players typically do about theirs and have more access to extra equipment. (I have more balls than a lot of players, but I only have a basic knowledge of their comparative performance, which is more than a lot players have. But my level of knowledge to me only lets me make gross adjustments and not quite the fine tuning adjustments that the pros do.)

This is one of those things that makes it hard for people to equate what the pros do to a normal league situation. On a average league you don't typically have teams made up of players that all bowl the same line, with similar styles etc. which is going to break down the pattern in a more predictable way. Plus having a team of players that all can coordinate their adjustments off of each others shots.

This is where I'd like to see a real league night with ordinary players on the blue oil, with the tracking. Then go back and dissect those games

Agreed on typical league night. We have about 15 high revvers in our league that throw just like the pros, about 25 or so that throw a straighter line to the pocket and the rest somewhere in between. Oh, and then there are about 10 lefties that have no impact on the right side of the lane. Last year we had 3 lefties on my team but we all had 3 different lines and styles. I would love to see the tinted oil in leagues
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Agreed on typical league night. We have about 15 high revvers in our league that throw just like the pros, about 25 or so that throw a straighter line to the pocket and the rest somewhere in between. Oh, and then there are about 10 lefties that have no impact on the right side of the lane. Last year we had 3 lefties on my team but we all had 3 different lines and styles. I would love to see the tinted oil in leagues
    Who ever does your laundry probably wouldn't like it.

I doubt if the pros pay much if any attention to the blue. They have trained themselves to watch for how their balls are moving. It is now a well known fact among them that lane topography has a bigger effect on ball motion than the oil pattern.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast