Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New best series tonight

Ringer
    Chats: 0

If there is more than one bowler listed twice with different averages, it really does need to be fixed. It will just continue to cause issues otherwise.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    If there is more than one bowler listed twice with different averages, it really does need to be fixed. It will just continue to cause issues otherwise.
    Agreed but I doubt they go back and make retroactive changes. That would be a big task
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Agreed but I doubt they go back and make retroactive changes. That would be a big task
    Well, they wanted to be the secretary...

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Well, they wanted to be the secretary...
    If it's like most leagues I know, when they asked for volunteers to step forward everyone else took a big step backward. Seriously not that many people want to do that much for a league, even though with home computers, the option of paying the alley to post the standings and to bank through the house there isn't nearly as much work for the secretary as there was when I started bowling and the secretary had to calculate the averages manually and run the standings sheet on his church's mimeograph. Keeping track of the money is still a pain and seems to be getting worse with some bowlers apparently thinking that paying every week is optional.
    John

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    If it's like most leagues I know, when they asked for volunteers to step forward everyone else took a big step backward. Seriously not that many people want to do that much for a league, even though with home computers, the option of paying the alley to post the standings and to bank through the house there isn't nearly as much work for the secretary as there was when I started bowling and the secretary had to calculate the averages manually and run the standings sheet on his church's mimeograph. Keeping track of the money is still a pain and seems to be getting worse with some bowlers apparently thinking that paying every week is optional.
    Our house is both secretary and treasurer of our league, however the secretary and treasurer fees are still charged by the house and they donate the money to the junior league scholarship fund at the end of the season.

There are still some leagues that are "old school" and league members handle the standings and the money. I was league secretary for a league 20 or so years ago and hated every minute of it. It was a total time suck. I vowed to never do it ever again. A family member was also a treasurer several years ago and hated it as well. People tend to put their weekly league bowling at the bottom of their list of monetary obligations and just pay whatever they feel like, whenever they feel like it.

Regardless of who is doing the work, the duplicate entries need to be consolidated and the bowlers' averages corrected to ensure at the very least the handicaps are correct moving forward (if they aren't going to fix it retroactively...which I think would be the right thing to do.) It is also going to need to be fixed so the proper average gets reported to the USBC under the correct name at the end of the season.

High Roller

I don't envy them and IIRC they took it just cause nobody else wanted it. But I did text the league President and he said the owner takes care of standings so would have to bring it up to him but the 2nd person I mentioned has 2 entries because he hurt his hand and was bowling left handed so one entry is for left handed. Not sure of rules on that but I assume they did the right thing there. But as far as the first one (the one we bowled last night) his 2 entries have different spellings so guessing a teammate or something entered his name at some point and spelled it wrong, creating a new entry. It probably wasn't caught or was seen but nobody thought of the possible issues caused by it. If we end up getting shut down this week I'll probably just let it go since I was told the league will be considered over at that point but if we aren't cancelled I will get ahold of the owner. I'm willing to even go through and do the backstudying to see if any other teams were affected if they want to fix all that too. Like I said we will probably finish in last anyway at this point so fixing ours isn't a big deal but for future games it should be fixed.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru

I don't envy them and IIRC they took it just cause nobody else wanted it. But I did text the league President and he said the owner takes care of standings so would have to bring it up to him but the 2nd person I mentioned has 2 entries because he hurt his hand and was bowling left handed so one entry is for left handed. Not sure of rules on that but I assume they did the right thing there. But as far as the first one (the one we bowled last night) his 2 entries have different spellings so guessing a teammate or something entered his name at some point and spelled it wrong, creating a new entry. It probably wasn't caught or was seen but nobody thought of the possible issues caused by it. If we end up getting shut down this week I'll probably just let it go since I was told the league will be considered over at that point but if we aren't cancelled I will get ahold of the owner. I'm willing to even go through and do the backstudying to see if any other teams were affected if they want to fix all that too. Like I said we will probably finish in last anyway at this point so fixing ours isn't a big deal but for future games it should be fixed.
    I think the USBC rule is that when a bowler switches hands due to an injury, the board of directors must vote to allow him or her to switch back after it heals. When I switched to lefty I just stayed there the whole season. I have switched back and forth in a managed scratch league, so as long as the manager said it was ok I was fine.

As for your situation, a few points one week aren’t going to to change your team’s destiny, but if the other team has this happen more than once they might finish a place or two higher than they deserve. If you point that out you might not sound as much like a bunch of whiny losers. There’s already enough of that going around.
    John

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I think the USBC rule is that when a bowler switches hands due to an injury, the board of directors must vote to allow him or her to switch back after it heals. When I switched to lefty I just stayed there the whole season. I have switched back and forth in a managed scratch league, so as long as the manager said it was ok I was fine.

As for your situation, a few points one week aren’t going to to change your team’s destiny, but if the other team has this happen more than once they might finish a place or two higher than they deserve. If you point that out you might not sound as much like a bunch of whiny losers. There’s already enough of that going around.
    Yeah I don't want to rile anyone up over it as I get along with everyone (including the bowler mentioned) but just to prevent it from happening to anyone else. Heck we had a guy a few weeks ago still bowling with a balance hole. I saw it but didn't say anything. He struggled that night anyway...lol
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

I think the burglar that stole from our center also took the oil...lol. The lanes were the driest I think I have ever seen. In warmups I think I stayed on the left side of the headpin once. I'm not a big hooker that hooks the lane but tonight I had to. I started out with the Uppercut standing up against the ball return on 13 and targeting 25 and I had to add a little speed even then to keep it on the left side of the headpin. I could hit the pocket but kept leaving 7's. Tried moving in and targeting the 20 board but couldn't get far enough right with the ball return there. Game 2 went to get my Rhino from the back room to try to throw straighter but realized it was at home. The Igniter was the weakest ball I had. Tried a few different lines with it and finally near about the 7th frame of game 2 I settled on standing on 13 and targeting 30. Had to use speed and flatten my hand out. If I came around the ball at all it would cross in front of the head pin. Finished the night with this line.

Did the best I could with it and considering how bad it was I probably shouldn't complain about a 538. I'm not comfortable with hooking the lane but glad I was forced to so I could get more comfortable with it. I had to really come around the ball when I was crossing the lane otherwise when it hit the dry it would just roll out. So even though it sucked tonight I learned a little and got more comfortable standing on the right side of the lane.

Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru

I think the burglar that stole from our center also took the oil...lol. The lanes were the driest I think I have ever seen. In warmups I think I stayed on the left side of the headpin once. I'm not a big hooker that hooks the lane but tonight I had to. I started out with the Uppercut standing up against the ball return on 13 and targeting 25 and I had to add a little speed even then to keep it on the left side of the headpin. I could hit the pocket but kept leaving 7's. Tried moving in and targeting the 20 board but couldn't get far enough right with the ball return there. Game 2 went to get my Rhino from the back room to try to throw straighter but realized it was at home. The Igniter was the weakest ball I had. Tried a few different lines with it and finally near about the 7th frame of game 2 I settled on standing on 13 and targeting 30. Had to use speed and flatten my hand out. If I came around the ball at all it would cross in front of the head pin. Finished the night with this line.

Did the best I could with it and considering how bad it was I probably shouldn't complain about a 538. I'm not comfortable with hooking the lane but glad I was forced to so I could get more comfortable with it. I had to really come around the ball when I was crossing the lane otherwise when it hit the dry it would just roll out. So even though it sucked tonight I learned a little and got more comfortable standing on the right side of the lane.

Two things: as a lefty you should be counting the boards from left to right. If you were really standing on 13 and targeting 30 you would have been lucky to stay on the lane.
    Second, I’d be willing to bet that as you move your set up to the right you start to drift back left as you walk the approach. This is pretty common for players who are used to going straight. After all our normal tendency is to walk in the direction that we are looking. Next time you have to make a big move inside, or if you have the luxury of getting some practice in, check where your slide foot winds up compared to where you started.
    John

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast