Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Span of a bowling ball

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Yep. Hence why I won't buy a used ball. $50 for the ball then another $60 to plug and redrill and for just a little more I get a brand new one with no plugs. BTW-plugging a ball does affect it's OOB characteristics according to articles I have read. Someone like me would probably never notice it but pretty sure Mo talked about it before. Plugging a balance hole doesn't put the PSA back to the exact pre-balance hole location. IIRC the PSA goes just past 1/2 way back to the thumbhole but not the whole way
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I've never understood the used ball market.

Some bowler sells you a ball that has 150 games on it for $50. You then pay $45 to have it "revitalized" in the de-oiler and another $35 to get it plugged. Now you're out $130 for a ball that has about 2/3 of it's life left.

Meanwhile, a new ball costs $160 with free shipping and has 100% of it's life left.

Now, the only way it makes "remote sense", is if you get it from a pro shop and they have already de-oiled and plugged it. In that case, you're usually gonna pay about $65-$85 and sometimes they even drill it for free or at a discounted rate. For the pro shop, they still make money because a lot of times they get the used balls for free.

I've only purchased ONE used ball...and it was a plugged Ebonite Maxim (still using it in my current arsenal) that I needed as a 15lb spare ball. The pro shop had one for $35 and drilled it for free. It was either that or buy a brand new White Dot for $50. I figured, for a spare ball, it didn't really matter. I'm pretty much just gonna throw it until it cracks...and it may never crack...polyester balls last forever.
    When you buy the new ball online for $160, and then take it locally to be drilled, it costs up to $60 to be drilled. Now you are out $220 compared to the $130 for the used ball.

Even if you have the online shop drill it, they are going to charge the $160 plus $30 for drilling, so you are out $190.

The used ball does represent some savings over brand new.

Polyester balls don't last forever for me. They usually end up cracking/disintegrating around the fingers and thumb. I need a new one every 3-4 years.

High Roller

My PSO drills for free if you buy from him. Only charges you for inserts. Most balls I have got from him were about $160 out the door. I think the most expensive one I have seen on his shelf was $199
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Yep. Hence why I won't buy a used ball. $50 for the ball then another $60 to plug and redrill and for just a little more I get a brand new one with no plugs.
    BTW-plugging a ball does affect it's OOB characteristics according to articles I have read. Someone like me would probably never notice it but pretty sure Mo talked about it before. Plugging a balance hole doesn't put the PSA back to the exact pre-balance hole location. IIRC the PSA goes just past 1/2 way back to the thumbhole but not the whole way
    Bowling This Month had a article called "The Effect of Plugging and Redrilling on Bowling Ball Mass Properties" by Bill Bill Sempsrott the conclusion he reached was that in most cases, bowlers and pro shop operators really shouldn’t be too concerned with how they may be affecting the mass properties of their bowling balls when they plug and redrill them. Because the net impact of these changes, will only cause a very minor and largely insignificant difference in the on-lane motion of the ball.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    When you buy the new ball online for $160, and then take it locally to be drilled, it costs up to $60 to be drilled. Now you are out $220 compared to the $130 for the used ball.

Even if you have the online shop drill it, they are going to charge the $160 plus $30 for drilling, so you are out $190.

The used ball does represent some savings over brand new.

Polyester balls don't last forever for me. They usually end up cracking/disintegrating around the fingers and thumb. I need a new one every 3-4 years.
    Yeah buying a used ball can net you some good savings if your short on funds or just wanting to try something, You just got to be smart about it these days.

The used ball market has changed to what it was back when balls lasted for more than one season. Buying a used ball was more common, You didn't particularly see a loss in performance on balls that had some games on them.

Just like just plugging and redrilling a thumb hole to change the span to save some money on a used ball was common, As long as the player was okay with the fingers fit and had no major problem. (Plus you could always do the fingers later)

Was this a perfect solution? No, But you do what you could afford.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Yeah buying a used ball can net you some good savings if your short on funds or just wanting to try something, You just got to be smart about it these days.

The used ball market has changed to what it was back when balls lasted for more than one season. Buying a used ball was more common, You didn't particularly see a loss in performance on balls that had some games on them.

Just like just plugging and redrilling a thumb hole to change the span to save some money on a used ball was common, As long as the player was okay with the fingers fit and had no major problem. (Plus you could always do the fingers later)

Was this a perfect solution? No, But you do what you could afford.
    It is pretty common around here for people to either give used balls away, or just ask $20-$30 for used newer balls. Used balls have very little resale value, and it really isn't worth the effort to try and get a premium for them. Occasionally you have the guy that thinks they can sell their used ball for what they paid for it, which never works out. My favorite was a bowler that bought a new ball, threw it for 3 weeks, decided he didn't like it and offered it for sale. Someone said "I'm interested! How much?" Bowler says "Well, I paid $175, so I would be willing to sell it to you for $150." He refused to budge on the price and couldn't get any takers, and somehow convinced the PSO to take it back and do an even exchange for another brand new ball. I am sure the PSO took a loss on it.

I prefer to donate my used balls to the local junior bowling program at my bowling center. It means way more to those kids than it does to an adult just wanting to try something different. The center plugs and redrills them for little to no charge for the juniors, so it really helps the kids.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    It is pretty common around here for people to either give used balls away, or just ask $20-$30 for used newer balls.
    That's pretty much how it is here too, I usually just give them away.

Used balls have very little resale value, and it really isn't worth the effort to try and get a premium for them. Occasionally you have the guy that thinks they can sell their used ball for what they paid for it, which never works out. My favorite was a bowler that bought a new ball, threw it for 3 weeks, decided he didn't like it and offered it for sale. Someone said "I'm interested! How much?" Bowler says "Well, I paid $175, so I would be willing to sell it to you for $150." He refused to budge on the price and couldn't get any takers, and somehow convinced the PSO to take it back and do an even exchange for another brand new ball. I am sure the PSO took a loss on it.
    Yeah that's like looking on Ebay at all the guys with that "rare, super low serial number" $2 ball from 20 years ago their asking $500 for.

I prefer to donate my used balls to the local junior bowling program at my bowling center. It means way more to those kids than it does to an adult just wanting to try something different.
    I give mine away at the HS travel league that was before my tuesday league.

The center plugs and redrills them for little to no charge for the juniors, so it really helps the kids.
    One of the other houses on the other side of the county here did that too.

High Roller

I was gonna ask our PSO if anyone was interested in a couple of mine. Problem is they are lefty. He did say there was a guy that had shoulder surgery or something so was going to bowl lefty this year but I think he bought brand new ones. I'd be willing to part with the Kingpin for sure and maybe 1 other. I'd be willing to donate them to a needy youth bowler.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12