Thread: When bowling impacts big life decisions...and its not even health related...

Chats: 204

Post When bowling impacts big life decisions...and its not even health related...

So, I've been looking for a better job for about a year now. I have had a couple offers recently and about 4 more possibilities that look promising.

Well, one of those possibilities I interviewed about yesterday and it looks like it involves a lot of travel...especially early on (the first year or so).

Now, it's a great opportunity and I like everything about the job...BUT...if I'm traveling every week...I can't bowl two leagues.

It sounds stupid, but bowling is the only thing "I do". And, besides being able to put my kid through college, the most important thing to me is being able to bowl in a couple leagues and enjoy life in my fee time. If I can't bowl...then what's the point? Ya gotta have time to enjoy your hobbies and my hobby requires that I can at least be free 2 times a week...preferably Mon-Thurs.

Is it 'possible' to work around most jobs and still bowl? Sure. There are some less serious weekend leagues. And, you could always try to sub rather than join a league as a regular. But, weekend leagues aren't as prevalent...and usually aren't very competitive. And, subbing is really difficult if you're not established at a house. I used to sub all the time at a center I lived next to...and it was great...but thats because I bowled there a couple seasons in a league and everyone knew me. I spent many nights, early in the season, walking over there and not bowling before teams started asking me to bowl with them. Once teams got to know me...then I was booked almost every week...but it took some time to get to that point. And that was in a rather large league. In a smaller house with just 8-12 teams...they may rarely ever need or want a sub.

So, we'll see. I turned down an offer out in South Dakota. I still got an offer out here in Iowa, although I'm sure that is about to expire soon and doubt I'll take it. I got a really good opportunity I am going to interview for Monday in Iowa, a really good opportunity I am interviewing for down in Florida for on Wednesday, and a really good opportunity I am interviewing for on Friday or the following Monday in Michigan. All of these should allow me to bowl in a couple leagues.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

High Roller
    Chats: 0

One of our teammates started a new job a few years ago with FedEx and he has a pretty messed up schedule so he has been pre-bowling this whole year. I know it isn't the same as being there with your friends but might work out so you don't have to give up bowling.

I work from home so can work from about anywhere with an internet connection. Been 'curious' a few times to just take off somewhere for a few months but then I'd miss bowling...lol.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Pin Crusher

Had to walk away from bowling in 2005 when my then wife up and left us. Then in 2011, I had rotator cuff surgery on my right arm (yep, right handed), which put my down more. Finally returned to league bowling in 2014. I think the ball I had at the time was the Icon 300? Anyway, damn near tore my bicep and my quad in the first few weeks trying to hard, but managed a 201 average that year.

Aslan, sometimes you walk away from things you love because it's the best thing to do. You'll find your way back.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

High Roller

Yep. I tore a tendon in my left elbow (I'm a lefty) in 2002 and had upper epicondilytis surgery. I was then on work comp for awhile so had to quit bowling. I started league bowling in 7th grade about 1981. I also ended up with bursitis, impingement, and bone spurs in my left shoulder so figured my bowling days were gone. Went to my granddaughters birthday party in December 2017 and bowled 2 games with a house ball and felt good so decided to give it a try again. Came back January 2018.

During that 15 years I didn't miss it but now that I'm back I don't want to quit again (unless I throw another 416...lol).
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Bowling is also the only thing "I do" away from the house as well. However, I do not get a paycheck and benefits from bowling. While hobbies are important, earning a living and saving for the future is more important.

Having to drop down to bowling one league per week in exchange for a better paying job seems like a fair trade. You still get to bowl, but you are earning more.

Evaluating job opportunities based on your bowling schedule/desires may not yield the best results. Don't let bowling stand in your way of getting that better paying job. The pandemic has shown that there is no guarantee that bowling will always be there. Also, moving forward to the future, there is no guarantee that bowling will stick around or that you will have interest in or be able to bowl. At one point, I had to take 5 years off from bowling due to an injury. I could still work normally, just couldn't bowl. I only went back after five years because the rest of my family continued to bowl and I needed something to do. Had they not bowled, I probably would have never returned to bowling.

One of my family members, who has bowled regularly for the past 25 years, is now contemplating retiring from bowling because they just are not having any fun anymore. It was a sudden day and night thing a few years ago. Literally, one day, they simply stopped enjoying it. They haven't had fun since, but have continued because the family bowls. However now they are seriously looking at quitting in April once the fall leagues end.

One of my teammates said that if their average ever dropped in to the 150-160 range as they get older they would quit. They currently average well over 200, and love bowling, but would not be able to enjoy it if they couldn't average 200.

It would be a shame to prioritize bowling over a better paying job, only to then have regrets a few years later if something happens and bowling is no longer a part of your life.

I am fortunate that my job and boss allow me to adjust my work schedule on bowling night, and they would have no problem letting me bowl more than once per week, but I do not abuse the privilege and keep it to once per week (unless I am asked to sub or something...which is very rare.) The past 2 years I changed to a slightly later league in the winter and do not even need to adjust my work schedule...therefore I am not asking my job to make a schedule change for me at all. The way I see it, the less of a burden you are for your employer, the better and more willing they will be to work with you when you ask them to.
    Last edited by Ryster; 11-13-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Pin Crusher

My only other hobby outside of bowling is shooting (trap, sporties, 5-stand, etc.). If you think bowling can get expensive....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739