Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wish my luck would change

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default wish my luck would change

So yesterday I went out the front door to check my mailbox. 20 years ago I put a higher end Larson storm door on. We rarely use this doorway so it rarely gets opened. Basically once a day to check the mail. Yesterday I go out and hear the door creak. Come back in and hear it again. Go back out and look and see it sagging slightly. Top hinges are broke. Look closer and the hinges are integrated into the frame so have to replace the frame to fix it. When I went to go back in the next hinge down broke. Went to Lowes today and got a new one. $300 later I get home and get to work. Wife starts cooking. and yells out that the stove isn't working...ugh. This had happened before so I go down and turn the breaker off for a few minutes and then back on. Fixed...lol. Minor setbacks but just frustrating.

Here is the backstory on the stove. Back in 2007 we won a brand new BMW X3. My wife had a 2006 Jeep Commander that we bought new a year earlier and I had just bought a new 2007 Dodge Ram 3 weeks earlier so we took the cash and had the kitchen remodeled. Bought all new Maytag stainless appliances. The slide in electric range started acting up right away. Called Lowes and they sent a guy out and he replaced the circuit board. A few days later still doing it. Called them back and they brought me a new identical model. A few days later same thing. Guy comes out and tells me we have a strange electromagnetic field in our neighborhood and we would not be able to use a Maytag electric range???? So we decide to deal with it since it would start working after shutting the breaker off. So about a year later we bought new Maytag washer and dryer (front loaders). A few months later the washer starts making all kinds of noise then quits. Called Lowes. Guy comes out and reaches in and grabs the drum and shakes it. Says the bearing is bad and he would order the new parts. Says the parts would be delivered to our house and to call him and he would come replace them. A few days later they are there so he shows up and takes the back panel off and says 'oh crap'. Says the belt is broke. No problem I think. Told him to replace it. Says he doesn't have one. Told him I would cal around and go get it so he could get it fixed. He tells me I won't be able to find one. He was right. So he replaces the other parts and says he would order a new belt and come back to replace it. Guy then says he can't fit the old broken parts in his van and asked if I could get rid of them. He replaced the whole drum and mounting hardware. A week goes by and nothing. Call Lowes and they tell me the guy told them it couldn't be fixed and they were sending me a gift card for a new one. What??? So I tell them I'd rather just have a refund check. Get a $900 check in the mail a few days later. Spent $25 on a new belt and still have it...lol. Right after the warranty runs out the dryer quits working. $250 for a new circuit board.

So shortly after the warranty ran out the refrigerator quit working. Called Maytag and complained and asked them to send me the $75 part for all the trouble I had been through with their junk. They refuse so I fix it myself. This was all withing about 3 or 4 years of buying all of these.

Kind of comical but after I fixed everything they have been pretty good other than the stove. It does this about 5 or 6 times a week but works fine once it starts working.

Bottom line is my luck isn't very good (other than winning the BMW). Just be nice to have some good luck once in awhile...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Aside from the inconvenience of the multiple service calls under warranty and having a stove that trips the circuit breaker that your luck is pretty good. Get check for $900, spend $25 on belt, $250 on circuit board for dryer, you’re still ahead by $650.
    Doing a little internet research the average home appliance lasts between 8 years ( microwaves ) and 19 years ( gas ranges).

I would think that a high end storm door would last longer than twenty years. I just replaced an old aluminum storm door that still worked fine after 30 or 40 years for a customer who plans to put her house on the market in the spring and wants to make everything look nice.
    John

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Aside from the inconvenience of the multiple service calls under warranty and having a stove that trips the circuit breaker that your luck is pretty good. Get check for $900, spend $25 on belt, $250 on circuit board for dryer, you’re still ahead by $650.
    Doing a little internet research the average home appliance lasts between 8 years ( microwaves ) and 19 years ( gas ranges).

I would think that a high end storm door would last longer than twenty years. I just replaced an old aluminum storm door that still worked fine after 30 or 40 years for a customer who plans to put her house on the market in the spring and wants to make everything look nice.
    Yeah in the end the appliances have lasted but all of those problems were in the first 3 years or so of buying them. The door is a Larson Signature series full view $220 for door and $50 for new handle kit). Same one I put on it 20 years ago. 20 years but like I said, it is hardly used. We use the side door or the garage. Now that I mention it we have an Andersen french door on the side that was installed 20 years ago. Had to replace the latch assembly twice and now all of the vinyl cladding on the exterior is all coming off. And to latch it I keep a pry bar on the shelf next to it and have to pry up on the bottom of the door to get it to latch. Really need to have that replaced soon...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

So....how did you win the bmw?

High Roller

There is a fire department in Chester, WV that sells tickets for a 'Fall Bash'. $100 a ticket. We usually buy 2 a year and that year we won the BMW. They draw every 5 minutes and give away over $600,000 in prizes. I think the last one of the night is $100,000 cash. Alot of them are $500-1000 guns and a few ATVs and about 6 or 7 cars and trucks. My dad won $10,000 either the year before or the year after we won the BMW. We took the cash. The cash value was about $32,000 but they kept I think $9016 for taxes so we got $23,000
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I can't imagine winning a car, even once in your life, and then complaining about your luck. Talk about spoiled!

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I can't imagine winning a car, even once in your life, and then complaining about your luck. Talk about spoiled!
    lol. Yeah but that is about the only thing I have ever won. But the post was more about recent issues. Storm door broke one day then stove quit again the next while I'm fixing the door. And the stove doesn't trip the breaker. It just goes blank and nothing happens. I have to turn the breaker off and wait then turn it back on to get it to work again. The whole Maytag story was more of a backstory on my experience with Maytag. 6 pieces of Maytag equipment (stove, fridge, microwave, dishwasher, washer and dryer) broke multiple times in the first few years. Stove twice (well about 5 times a week but 2 major breaks), fridge twice, washer 3 times and dryer twice. After I have replaced just about everything in them there isn't much Maytag left to them...lol
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Between the BMW and the bowling ball raffles you have won, you have won more than I have EVER won in my entire life of buying raffle tickets and entering contests/sweepstakes. To win as much as you have beats a lot of odds and sounds like some pretty good luck to me.

Stop buying Maytag, and that will solve your appliance problem.

Yea sounds pretty lucky to me too. Although if I won a bmw....I’d pro take the cash too. Go buy a cheaper used Prius or something good on gas (if I even needed at the time) and go on vacation, or most likely do either what you did and spend most of to upgrade the house, or invest it in say another rental property

I won a case of Lifesavers in the Cub Scouts when I was a kid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast