Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus surge...

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default Coronavirus surge...

Well, it looks like the coronavirus surge has started to show up at the bowling center. A bowler on my team is out for the next 2 weeks after getting it, and there are bowlers on several other leagues now out as well with the virus. We also found out that there had previously been bowlers with it who also took themselves out for a couple of weeks, but the bowling center never announced to anyone that there were cases. They are leaving it up to individuals to both find out and then decide how to handle it.

For example, I was not informed of our teammate having it until I arrived at the center and another teammate said "We have a sub for the next 2 weeks because so-and-so is out with coronavirus. They think they got it from someone on one of their other leagues here." Our bowling center and league does not have a formal plan for how these types of situations should be handled, and casually told us we should do what we feel is best. Technically the entire team should be sitting out the next 10-14 days, and I would also think the whole league should take a 2 week break because the infected bowler on our team also plays the league card game which means the cards go in the deck and are reused each game. That is a possible exposure point for others.

Instead, we are continuing to bowl and just watching ourselves for symptoms. I have been checking my temperature regularly and basically just staying at home. It has been 10 total days since my last exposure to the teammate, and I have had absolutely no symptoms so I think I am OK. One of our other teammates is thinking of getting tested since he still has to go to an office for work, so if he comes back positive then I will have to go get a test (which around here is easier said then done.)

It is a little disappointing that the bowling center remained quiet about it, and then also did not shut down and do a cleansing/sterilization of the entire facility as mandated by the state. I get that they are in business to make money and don't want to alarm people, but they also have an obligation to keep their employees and customers as safe as possible. At the very least an announcement at the beginning of leagues such as "Some leagues may be seeing some members out due to direct exposure to, and possible contraction of, the coronavirus. Please keep this in mind and be mindful of mitigation efforts to remain as safe as possible."

High Roller

We have league tonight but won't be surprised if we get shut down again. So far we had 1 league member that i know of that got it. May be others but thats all I have heard of. But he came back a few weeks ago
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

I agree that it is just a matter of time before PA Governor Wolf halts all indoor recreational sports, gyms, etc. He kind of alluded to more restrictive measures coming when he spoke yesterday. If the infection rate doesn't go down, he said he will be forced do something. Based on what has been said by the management at our center, they are either going to ignore any future closure order and remain open (and take their chances) or simply close permanently if they are forced to shut down. There will be no in-between for them.

Ringer

And just like that, literally just found out that a few more people on our league have tested positive for coronavirus...

High Roller

ugh. i won't hear anything until i go in tonight but the one team has been short-handed the last few weeks. the one week 2 member pre-bowled and the other 3 didn't show up so they had to forfeit anyway
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

At this point, I fully expect Gov. Wolf to announce new restrictions right before the Christmas and New Years holidays to discourage get-togethers, holiday parties, etc. My guess is we have maybe 2 more weeks. I will be surprised if indoor sports and other types of activities are permitted to continue that much longer.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Well, it looks like the coronavirus surge has started to show up at the bowling center. A bowler on my team is out for the next 2 weeks after getting it, and there are bowlers on several other leagues now out as well with the virus. We also found out that there had previously been bowlers with it who also took themselves out for a couple of weeks, but the bowling center never announced to anyone that there were cases. They are leaving it up to individuals to both find out and then decide how to handle it.

For example, I was not informed of our teammate having it until I arrived at the center and another teammate said "We have a sub for the next 2 weeks because so-and-so is out with coronavirus. They think they got it from someone on one of their other leagues here." Our bowling center and league does not have a formal plan for how these types of situations should be handled, and casually told us we should do what we feel is best. Technically the entire team should be sitting out the next 10-14 days, and I would also think the whole league should take a 2 week break because the infected bowler on our team also plays the league card game which means the cards go in the deck and are reused each game. That is a possible exposure point for others.

Instead, we are continuing to bowl and just watching ourselves for symptoms. I have been checking my temperature regularly and basically just staying at home. It has been 10 total days since my last exposure to the teammate, and I have had absolutely no symptoms so I think I am OK. One of our other teammates is thinking of getting tested since he still has to go to an office for work, so if he comes back positive then I will have to go get a test (which around here is easier said then done.)

It is a little disappointing that the bowling center remained quiet about it, and then also did not shut down and do a cleansing/sterilization of the entire facility as mandated by the state. I get that they are in business to make money and don't want to alarm people, but they also have an obligation to keep their employees and customers as safe as possible. At the very least an announcement at the beginning of leagues such as "Some leagues may be seeing some members out due to direct exposure to, and possible contraction of, the coronavirus. Please keep this in mind and be mindful of mitigation efforts to remain as safe as possible."
    The center where I bowl has been doing a very good job dealing with this mess. When one of the families in our youth league tested positive the center contacted every one who had bowled with the child the previous Saturday. The father, who definitely had it, was told he needed a negative test result before he could return to his leagues, even though he had quarantined for 20 days. They are very good about enforcing mask wearing in the concourse area and leaving enough room for bowlers to distance themselves. They have chosen not to hassle their customers about wearing masks in the settee areas but they are trying to encourage bowlers to stay right near their lanes. The massive league wide card games are out as well as brackets.
    John

Ringer

Don't get me started on the whole masks must be worn in the concourse area, but are optional in the settee area issue. It makes absolutely no sense. They should be worn by everyone, at all times, even while bowling. When you are sitting/standing/talking in the settee area with people not from your household for 2-3 hours at a time is when you should most certainly have it on.

But I digress...sounds like your center is doing it right!

Sigh.

Ringer

Sounds like Gov. Wolf might be announcing new restrictions tomorrow or Thursday. They would take effect this weekend and go through New Years. Should be interesting.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast