Thread: New Shoes

Chats: 55

Default New Shoes

Help me decide....

I currently wear a women's Dexter The-9s. They are breaking down and starting to hurt my feet. They are really heavy as well.

I'm looking for a lighter weight shoe, with good support (leather/not synthetic) and interchangeable soles. I could go to a men's in a smaller size.

The cost isn't really relative as much as the quality and fit.

Suggestions?
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Ringer
    Chats: 0

My Mom's Dexter The 9's lasted about 2 seasons before they started falling apart. Dexter told us that was normal and the shoes aren't designed to be durable.

She then bought a pair of women's Team Brunswick shoes and a pair of Hammer Lady Vixen shoes. Overall she prefers the Hammer shoes. They are made by KR, but aren't genuine leather.

There aren't many real leather options other than the 3G Tour Ultra or Sport Ultras. 3G shoes are very nice as long as you don't mind the slightly different style used for the replaceable soles and heels compared to Dexter.

Chats: 55

When you say slightly different style used for the replaceable soles and heels...are you referring to the 9s having the flexible tubing rather than the flat sole (my SST 8s were flat)?

I understood the 3G Tour to be kangaroo leather...whatever that might withstand...

Good information, thanks!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Chats: 221

The 3G Tour Ultras are super comfortable
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    When you say slightly different style used for the replaceable soles and heels...are you referring to the 9s having the flexible tubing rather than the flat sole (my SST 8s were flat)?

I understood the 3G Tour to be kangaroo leather...whatever that might withstand...

Good information, thanks!
    On the 3G shoes, the sole has a permanently attached outer border on the sole, about 1/4 inch wide. The center part of the sole is the interchangeable part. So the sole's border, over time, can get very dirty.

The heels have a hole on the center that sets in to an anchor piece on the heel of the shoe to help center it.

Kangaroo leather is very soft, supple, and lightweight. Also very comfortable and durable. The Tour Ultras are kangaroo leather, while the Sport Ultras are regular leather.

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    My Mom's Dexter The 9's lasted about 2 seasons before they started falling apart. Dexter told us that was normal and the shoes aren't designed to be durable.
    I've had my 9's going on near 3 years. No signs of falling apart.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

I love my Sarah XXX Tenth Frame shoes. They are comfortable and very supportive. However, I don't think they are real leather, although the fake leather actually looks good. They do have nice interchangable soles.