Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How aggressively to adapt to house conditions

After reading Aslan's latest post here, I think I must clarify. I still believe that bowlers should set up their arsenals using the low RG measurements. Where I disagree with some of the things that I have written in the past is using the word "progression." The word intimates that there is a pre-set order that ball changes follow. At one point many years ago, there was. Ball changes could be used to keep playing the same line without lateral moves by "balling down" to higher RG balls, as the oil line dried up. Now, it's just important that bowlers understand the individual balls in their arsenals as it is just as likely that a bowler will have to go to a "stronger" ball as lateral moves to the left (for righties) require more power to cover additional boards as angles change. I hope this clears up the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    lol. yeah. and i don't leave that many 7's. last night i left 4 but typically i might leave 2 or 3 in a night. last night i left 4 7's and 4 6's. lanes were bad though. both teams struggled to get strikes even though most were hitting the pocket consistently. my wife was the only one on our team to hit her average and that was only 106. i think only maybe 2 or 3 guys on the other team hit theirs
    This quote explains my resistance to the idea of setting up a "plan" based on past performances. Obviously, when no one on the pair makes their average, there is something different from past weeks. BTW please discount anyone with a 106 average as this level of bowler is not depending on lane conditions to score, but to physical differences from week to week.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    This quote explains my resistance to the idea of setting up a "plan" based on past performances. Obviously, when no one on the pair makes their average, there is something different from past weeks. BTW please discount anyone with a 106 average as this level of bowler is not depending on lane conditions to score, but to physical differences from week to week.
    Looked at the stats today and 2 of the 10 on our pair hit their average and it wasn't by much.

And yeah, that's why I kind of discounted her leaving 3 7-10's last night. She uses an 8lb ball straight down the middle with alot of deflection. But still odd seeing 3 7-10's in one night by the same person. I left a pocket 7-9 last night that was right in the pocket. My 6 pin leaves were all slightly high hits so they made sense
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    But still odd seeing 3 7-10's in one night by the same person.
    I've done that twice in the past three years, all pocket 7-10's. Not sure what the dynamics were that caused it, but I'd put a bunch of blame on the operator....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    I've done that twice in the past three years, all pocket 7-10's. Not sure what the dynamics were that caused it, but I'd put a bunch of blame on the operator....
    Yeah but I would EXPECT to see 7-10s from a straight-down-the-middle bowler, not from you hitting the pocket (which I still wonder about the physics of).

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Yeah but I would EXPECT to see 7-10s from a straight-down-the-middle bowler, not from you hitting the pocket (which I still wonder about the physics of).
    When I was young I, and probably most other league bowlers, thought the 7-10 was the result of going through the nose. Most of my teammates threw pretty straight and we had to hit high flush to carry. Go a little bit too high and you’ve got a 6-7-10, 4-7-10, 3-10, or 4-6-7-10 split, and on rare occasions the 7-10. As you said, for someone playing close to the middle, especially with a light ball, hitting too much of the headpin can yield a 7-10. For someone playing a more typical line, i.e. hooking or curving it into the pocket the 7-10 is more likely to be a light hit, one that would normally leave just a flat 10 or a 7 pin but leaves them both at the same time.
    John

A great, great majority of pocket 7-10's are the result of the ball losing energy before it gets to the pins. This is a direct result of house bowlers using balls that are way too aggressive for house conditions and refusing to move in off of the security of the second arrow.

Pin Crusher

A great, great majority of pocket 7-10's are the result of the ball losing energy before it gets to the pins. This is a direct result of house bowlers using balls that are way too aggressive for house conditions and refusing to move in off of the security of the second arrow.
    I'll buy that on 4 of the 6, but I know at least 2 of them were flat-out smashed. I'm also rarely near the second arrow. Most have been what I'd call a "square" hit. Not high flush, but not light either. Best of memory, I was off my shot a little, but since I don't watch the ball go over the arrows, I couldn't tell you where it was.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    I'll buy that on 4 of the 6, but I know at least 2 of them were flat-out smashed. I'm also rarely near the second arrow. Most have been what I'd call a "square" hit. Not high flush, but not light either. Best of memory, I was off my shot a little, but since I don't watch the ball go over the arrows, I couldn't tell you where it was.
    There could also have been some negative topography on that particular lane that robbed the ball of energy even though you were not playing near the second arrow. Also, it could have been a bad rack; pins off spot to the side are pretty easy to spot, but pins set either forward or back are really hard to see. Often 7-10's are the result of a 4 pin that's too far forward, so the seven pin stands on a ten pin leave.

Pin Crusher

There could also have been some negative topography on that particular lane that robbed the ball of energy even though you were not playing near the second arrow. Also, it could have been a bad rack; pins off spot to the side are pretty easy to spot, but pins set either forward or back are really hard to see. Often 7-10's are the result of a 4 pin that's too far forward, so the seven pin stands on a ten pin leave.
    I'd be more apt to believe (not that I'm disavowing by any means) the pin spotting over topography, as this happened in two different houses. Considering the sheer number of 10-pins I left Tuesday, I was surprised I didn't see one then....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast