Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick question (probably dumb too)

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default quick question (probably dumb too)

So if the lanes are on the drier side and my ball is reacting hard does it make sense to not wipe the ball before every shot or still wipe it?
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Personally, I do not think it makes any difference. It is more important to maintain your typical pre-shot routine. If that means wiping the ball before every shot then just keep doing it. Any oil that is on the surface from the previous shot will have mostly "soaked" in to the cover anyway by the time your next turn comes up in league (unless you are using polyester or urethane.)

I experimented with adding the wiping of the ball to my routine at one point during my bowling "career", but ultimately found no value to it.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So if the lanes are on the drier side and my ball is reacting hard does it make sense to not wipe the ball before every shot or still wipe it?
    I started wiping the ball off before every shot decades ago. This wasn’t for any of the current reasons given by bowling experts. It was to keep from permanently staining any more shirts because I would (and probably still do) rest the ball against my stomach while getting my feet in position.
    I think you probably should keep wiping. You want to keep things the same in terms of routines and habits, at least the good ones, from week to week.
    John

You're right! Please try to stop over-thinking everything, and just knock the pins down.

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    You're right! Please try to stop over-thinking everything, and just knock the pins down.
    We need a button on here to "like" a post....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

High Roller

Kind of what I was thinking. I have read alot about how you need to wipe the ball before every frame but by the time I go back up there isn't anything left to wipe off. I do clean them with cleaner before I leave every night.

I see many people in my league that wipe theirs every shot but seems the higher average guys don't wipe theirs at all. I can't use my right arm at all so it is harder for me to clean mine at the return but I can do it, just takes longer. I had been trying to wipe it every frame but started wondering how important it was and if it really made a difference.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Kind of what I was thinking. I have read alot about how you need to wipe the ball before every frame but by the time I go back up there isn't anything left to wipe off. I do clean them with cleaner before I leave every night.

I see many people in my league that wipe theirs every shot but seems the higher average guys don't wipe theirs at all. I can't use my right arm at all so it is harder for me to clean mine at the return but I can do it, just takes longer. I had been trying to wipe it every frame but started wondering how important it was and if it really made a difference.
    If there’s nothing on the surface there’s no point in wiping it off. Wiping it off would only make sense for you when you’re practicing by yourself. There would still be oil left on the surface to wipe, unless they stick you on a lane that’s toast, ad it would keep you from the frantic practice pace which some bowlers fall into.
    John

So many of the beliefs that bowlers have are a result of things they learned decades ago. Back in the days before reactive resin balls, friction was a very precious commodity and bowlers did everything they could to get every little bit that they could find. Today, the amount of oil that's used on synthetic lanes is so small, and the amount left on the ball is even smaller, that wiping it off, or not wiping it off makes no noticeable difference in ball reaction. The only reason that I can see for wiping the oil off of the ball is, as J Anderson said, to keep from soiling the front of your shirt.

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The only reason that I can see for wiping the oil off of the ball is, as J Anderson said, to keep from soiling the front of your shirt.
    .....as most of us pick up the ball, cradle it between our arm and torso (hopefully covered with a shirt), and then wipe the ball off.....

2.5 years ago, after my left shoulder surgery, I lost the ability to just freely pick up the ball and spin it on a towel. I had to cradle the ball in one arm and wipe the ball off with the other hand. My shirts have never been the same.....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    .....as most of us pick up the ball, cradle it between our arm and torso (hopefully covered with a shirt), and then wipe the ball off.....

2.5 years ago, after my left shoulder surgery, I lost the ability to just freely pick up the ball and spin it on a towel. I had to cradle the ball in one arm and wipe the ball off with the other hand. My shirts have never been the same.....
    I pinch my towel between my right arm and stomach then set the ball on the towel (on my right hand) and rotate it with my left. So the ball never really touches my shirt
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast