Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How aggressively to adapt to house conditions

Chats: 204

Question How aggressively to adapt to house conditions

So, my current arsenal is set up to play a certain area...roughly the 6-12 board at the arrows.

Ball #1 is supposed to be for fresh conditions: DV8 Grudge Hybrid
    Ball #2 is supposed to be for when conditions break down a little: Aura Mystic

Generally, that should be all one needs...UNLESS:

Ball #3 is to be used if experiencing carry down of oil to the breakpoint: Fortera Exile

Ball #4 (Rhino Gold) has a few uses. If I were bowling on burnt lanes or just practicing on weekend conditions...it's kind've just an all-purpose ball. It also is something I can resort to if I exhaust all 3 balls above too quickly...which shouldn't happen on a typical 3-game league night. It also can be used as a "Ball #2" if I start with Ball #2 instead of Ball #1.

Now...surfacing.

The OOB surfaces for these are as follows:
    #1: 4000 (matte)
    #2: 500 rough buff
    #3: 500 (polished)
    #4: 500 (polished)

I have tried to get a little more separation between Ball #1 and Ball #2 (due to the ball specifications being too similar for my liking) by trying to surface the Grudge to 2000 and the Mystic to 2000 then Royal Compound.

I've tried to maximize the skid/flip potential of the Exile by surfacing it to 360, then Royal Compound, then resin polish.

The Rhino Gold I've surfaced to 1500, then Royal Compound, then resin polish.

The idea behind the surfacing strategy is as follows:

Ball #1 should be matte. Nothing to severe...but a 2000-3000 surface with no shine to read fresh oil. It's got a hybrid cover and a very strong core with a 2.49 RG...so it shouldn't need much help to turn the corner.

Ball #2 should be similar...but hit it with Royal Compound. The specs are similar to the Grudge...but it's an older ball. The age coupled with the Royal compound should be enough to make this ball a natural ball down option without much need to change my line.

Ball #3 has a very unique role in the arsenal. If there's no carry down, there's no need to use it. It's only job is to go long through beat up lanes (usually mid game 2 and game 3) and snap HARD at a breakpoint that has some oil carried down to it. This carry down can be the result of plastic, urethane, and a minimal amount from resin balls that haven't had their surfaces maintained.

Unlike the other balls in the arsenal...Ball #3 has a VERY SPECIFIC set of balls specs associated with it. It MUST be a pearl cover with an asymmetric core. It MUST have a strong core and a polished surface. The RG and differential can vary a little...but generally the RG is gonna be around 2.50 and the differential > 0.047. The key is that the ball MUST ignore the early parts of the lane (pearl/polished) and MUST snap hard in an area where oil might be present (asymmetric core/strong core). So, I actually surface this ball with a very rough surface (180-800) and then hit it with Royal Compound and then with resin polish. However, this surface MUST be maintained. If that polish wears away...the skid/flip wears away with it.

Ball #4's surface is less important. The ball itself is far weaker than the Mystic (specs), so it really is a matter of just trying to get a surface that allows me to use it as a ball down option should I start with the Mystic. If the Mystic and Rhino Gold are "too far" apart...then when I ball down...I need to adjust right to compensate for the difference in the ball specs. That means I have to readjust left if/when I go to the Exile.

So, what's the current concern? Well, now that I've laid the ground work/back story...I'll need to post that in a separate post.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 204

So, recently, I've had a LOT of luck with the Exile.

I also have not been able to even use the Grudge.

The Grudge hits too weak if I play the track...and if I try to move inside...it doesn't have the "snap" to come back. So, I usually try it out in practice...then put it back in the bag. If I had more time in practice...'maybe' I could find an interior line to play with it...but I've never had luck getting around 15-board at the arrows with that ball. It just doesn't seem to have the backend reaction. Works great in the track on slicker conditions...but not on drier conditions.

Pinpal Stats (by ball in this league) to illustrate dilemma:

Ball #1 Grudge Hybrid:
    Games: 5
    Average 186.50
    Average (had I made all single-pin spares): 190.40
    High Game: 201
    First Ball Average: 8.77
    Strike %: 38%

Ball #2 Aura Mystic:
    Games: 21
    Average 180.05
    Average (had I made all single-pin spares): 187.33
    High Game: 251
    First Ball Average: 8.77
    Strike %: 46%

Ball #3 Fortera Exile:
    Games: 17
    Average 191.06
    Average (had I made all single-pin spares): 198.24
    High Game: 247
    First Ball Average: 9.02
    Strike %: 51%

Ball #4 Vintage Rhino Gold:
    Games: 8
    Average 177.50
    Average (had I made all single-pin spares): 183.88
    High Game: 207
    First Ball Average: 8.38
    Strike %: 40%

As you can see (above), if I read how the lanes WANT ME TO PLAY THEM...based on the results by ball...the lanes are telling me that a stronger ball with matte surface is going to burn up....there's just not enough oil in the track. The Vintage Rhino Gold probably 'could' work...but it's SO much weaker than the other 3...that when I switch to it I end up having to move around for 4-6 frames just to figure out my new line...and thats 4-6 frames of probably not striking.

The lanes are ALSO telling me...there might be oil at the breakpoint. Whether its carry down or lazy lane cleaning procedures (or both)...the Exile is my best ball. The lanes are dry enough to throw a polished ball up the track...as long as it has that big core turn over hard at the breakpoint. The Rhino Gold...similar surface...polished pearl and all. Of matter of fact, they have THE EXACT SAME coverstock...the Fortify Reactive pearl coverstock. But the Rhino Gold doesn't have near the power in it's core. Similar RG and differential...but less...and symmetric for the Rhino Gold.

So, do I change the surfaces to try and adjust given what the lanes are telling me?

Do I try to add Royal Compound to the Grudge Hybrid to see if I can make it serviceable?

Do I try to surface the Aura Mystic similar to the Exile to see if I can get more of a "skid/flip" reaction out of it?

How aggressively to I increase the surface on the Rhino Gold to get it to react better? Or is that somewhat of a lost cause given it's symmetric core? Should that ball be my "reserve ball" should I need a symmetric, slow, steady option?
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I'm not as up on this as many of you but here is my arsenal but I'm thinking of swapping a ball.

Ball #1: Radical Conspiracy 2000 matte. This ball rarely comes out and I would only use it for very wet lanes

Ball #2: Brunswick Uppercut 3000 matte. This is my benchmark ball and I can usually get through 2 games and sometimes all 3 games with it

Ball #3: Brunswick Igniter 3000 matte. Usually only use this in game 3 but it doesn't feel quite right in my hand and I don't get the rotation on it. I might swap this out with my Squatch (3000 matte). I like the Squatch but it is a little more aggressive than the Igniter. Might try 4000 on it to tame it down a little

Ball #4: Brunswick Rhino. Very tame ball and rarely use it

Also have a Hammer Black Widow Gold that holds the line and turns hard at the end of the pattern. Don't really use this ball much anymore but might try it as a substitute for the Igniter if the Squatch doesn't work

So mainly I use the Uppercut followed by the Igniter. Rarely use any other ball but have them just in case I get extreme conditions
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

I have a DV8 Pitbull, which is basically the same as the Grudge. I don't even bother with the Pitbull these days...it is just too much for a house condition. It loses all of its energy in the front 2/3 of the lane and has nothing left when it reaches the pocket. I have used it in OOB finish as well as polished. It did better polished, but was still too much.

I have had the most success on house shots recently just sticking with stronger pearls, or mid-level solids. I have a hybrid Brunswick Method in OOB finish, and even it is a little too much for a house shot.

Chats: 221

Since you feel the Grudge is "burning up some" why not try 500/3000 or 500/4000 with it to see if you can get some more pop on the backnd
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Since I discovered the joys of the Storm Axiom, I haven’t looked back.

High Roller

Freshened up mu Uppercut today at 3000 (same as it has been). I haven't been happy with the Igniter. Just doesn't feel right and I get no revs on it. So I grabbed my Squatch off the shelf and hit it with a 1500/5000 using Mo's skip a grit. Gonna go try to get some practice in tonight to see how it looks. I know it is very similar in specs to the Uppercut but see how it does with the 5000. Might try to put some polish on it but I'm not a fan of a polished surface so far. The Igniter is at 2000 right now. I doubt it will help my revs but might try a 3000 or 5000 on it
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I feel really bad after all of the articles I wrote between 2007 and 2017 talking about setting up ball progressions. Unfortunately, ball progressions no longer work. There have just been too many changes to the game: more aggressive covers, bowlers indiscriminately using urethane when they have no business using it, no USBC oiling regulations. Get the idea of ball progressions out of your head and work on getting comfortable with lateral moves; regardless of how far they take you.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I feel really bad after all of the articles I wrote between 2007 and 2017 talking about setting up ball progressions. Unfortunately, ball progressions no longer work. There have just been too many changes to the game: more aggressive covers, bowlers indiscriminately using urethane when they have no business using it, no USBC oiling regulations. Get the idea of ball progressions out of your head and work on getting comfortable with lateral moves; regardless of how far they take you.
    I'm getting better at that. In fact when I bowled my 725 a couple months ago I used the Uppercut all 3 games but I never had to move. Maybe 1/2 board right all night and that was it. But I like the feel of the Uppercut so much I try to stick with it as long as I can. The only thing that is odd is that a few times I moved back to it after struggling with the Igniter and end up moving further outside and suddenly it works. If I try that line early on it overreacts. Maybe cause my speed has crept up? Not sure but that has kind of confused me but I just go with it if it works. But lately I have been struggling worse than I used to with transition. Maybe cause I have more revs and more movement?
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I wish you would expand more here Rob. Are you saying stay with the same ball, moving to make it work, until you no longer can, then change balls? Sounds like you are advocating more moving, less ball changing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast