Thread: Shipping a bowling bag?

Chats: 0

Default Shipping a bowling bag?

What would be the best way to have a bowling bag shipped? As many of you know I was in TN a while back. I was expecting to return to TN after a short stay in IL but it didn't work out that way. Sadly my bowling equipment is still there. I just spoke with the person who still has it which honestly I'm surprised and grateful they didn't sell it or chuck it by now. It's a 3 ball bag with 3 balls, shoes and some misc stuff. If I had to guess it's gotta weigh 55-60 lbs.

It's not worth driving 600 miles to retrieve and I really don't have the time for that anyway. If there is a way to have it shipped that wouldn't cost hundreds of dollars would be ideal. I would imagine there has to be some way for this to be done as I'm sure people travel for tournaments and such. I obviously don't need them like next day or anything, no rush. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

After doing research it's crazy expensive to ship a bowling bag. Well into triple digits pretty much any way you go about it. Also since the temp is in single digits or in the negatives for most of the geography of the trip, it's probably not the best idea right now to do. It would likely be in a cold truck or be sitting on a colder Warehouse at some point. I'd pay way to much and likely end up with cracked bowling balls due to the climate.

Fortunately, a friend of mine is driving up next week from Florida and happens to drive right through the part of TN where my stuff is and lives near me. He's going to grab my stuff for me. So in about a week I'll finally be reunited with all my gear! Glad I'll finally get it back. I've only been able to enjoy my new bag for about two weeks since I bought it and my new balls for a couple months. I'm rather excited! I hope my dumb luck follows me to the lanes when I get it back

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    After doing research it's crazy expensive to ship a bowling bag. Well into triple digits pretty much any way you go about it. Also since the temp is in single digits or in the negatives for most of the geography of the trip, it's probably not the best idea right now to do. It would likely be in a cold truck or be sitting on a colder Warehouse at some point. I'd pay way to much and likely end up with cracked bowling balls due to the climate.

Fortunately, a friend of mine is driving up next week from Florida and happens to drive right through the part of TN where my stuff is and lives near me. He's going to grab my stuff for me. So in about a week I'll finally be reunited with all my gear! Glad I'll finally get it back. I've only been able to enjoy my new bag for about two weeks since I bought it and my new balls for a couple months. I'm rather excited! I hope my dumb luck follows me to the lanes when I get it back
    Cool. That was my thoughts but figured it might be like a needle in a haystack trying to find someone making that trek. I would do it in a heartbeat to help someone out if it was along my route.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Yeah it's crazy to ship a bowling bag. Yet you can buy a giant 250lb snowblower or a 350 Chevy engine long block off of Amazon with free shipping probably next day... Go figure.

Maybe I should have had the person who has it put it on Amazon for $1. I could have bought it and got free shipping. LOL

Ringer

UPS Ground probably would have been around $100 for a 60lb 3-ball bag, USPS about $125.

That's great that it worked out that someone could pick up your stuff on their trip! Really saves the time, money, and hassle.

Yes it does. I miss my stuff! I'm eager to get it back. Not that I'm going to do a ton with it right away but I'll have it back nonetheless

Chats: 204

I was going to say, there aren't many good options. I know this topic came up with bowlers concerning traveling by plane before and how to get balls to events. A lot of bowlers would ship the balls in boxes or check 3-ball bags. 4-ball and 6-ball bags you have to get more creative and disconnect the sections. It's a real pain. Thats one reason you rarely see anything but 3-ball, simple roller bags at the pro tournaments and a lot of the competitors have stuff brought to them there and drilled there. I think there's some guidance on traveling with bowling balls on the USBC Open page where they give you some tips.

But shipping a bag full of balls...I just shipped a horse saddle to someone that bought it off Ebay and it cost me over $180 UPS....which was by FAR the cheapest option.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer

I think I remember USBC contracting with a shipping company for the USBC Open because it's such a pita . . .

I'm finally able to update this thread!! I got my stuff back at last! Nearly two years later but it's all back safe and sound. My 3 ball roller, my vintage custom Linds bowling shoes, Faball Black Hammer, Venom Shock and a Hammer "something" (I don't remember but it's black and gold) I got for my son in TN.

Everything was accounted for exactly as I left it. I was extremely pleased that the Hammer something and Venom Shock weren't cracked. Sitting that long in a bag I figured they were goners for sure. Already polished up the shoes, organized all my supplies, put the balls on the spinner and gave them all the surface I want.

I'M READY TO ROLL!! Well... not tonight. I'm enjoying my first day off in 27 days. No way I'm going to that place today! My phone is on "Do not disturb", the Cubs game is on and a nice cold drink next to me. I'm ready to roll... NEXT TIME!