Thread: Speed dominant?

Default Speed dominant?

Does "speed dominant" mean a bowler with a high ball speed? or could it also apply to someone with a slower speed?
    I am 71 years old, use 14lb balls, and my ball speed averages around 12.8 to 13.2 on our lanes. I am also not sure how to "match" my ball speed and rev rate.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Ezeeduzit View Post
    Does "speed dominant" mean a bowler with a high ball speed? or could it also apply to someone with a slower speed?
    I am 71 years old, use 14lb balls, and my ball speed averages around 12.8 to 13.2 on our lanes. I am also not sure how to "match" my ball speed and rev rate.
    Speed dominant refers to the speed relative to the rev rate. At 13 mph you probably aren’t speed dominant most likely balanced or rev dominant.
    Generally speaking speed dominant players have a hard time getting the ball to hook in time to hit the pocket. Rev dominant bowlers have to worry about the ball reading too soon.
    As for you “matching” your ball speed and rev rate I suppose you could find a coach and work on getting them to match. It’s probably a lot easier to make sure you have the right ball in your hand for the way you throw.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Ezeeduzit View Post
    As J Anderson said Speed dominant is referring to your (Off the hand) ball speed higher relative to your balls rev rate. Knowing whether your "Speed" or "Rev" dominant is one bit of info used that can help in determining a layout for a ball.

This is a widely used chart to see if someone is "Matched" or not.

Example if your speed is about 13mph on the monitor, Then your off hand speed probably is about 16 mph (A ball typically loses about 3 mph by the time it reaches the monitor at the pins).

So for you to be "Matched" your revs should be about 250rpm. If the revs are lower you'd be speed dominate, if higher the rev dominate.

Heres how to find your PAP, ball speed, rev rate, axis rotation and axis tilt from Powerhouse

The ball speed and rev chart used in the video is here:
    http://media.wix.com/ugd/83be2f_4c23...4b240d39bd.pdf

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker