Thread: 47' Scorpion advice?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default 47' Scorpion advice?

So supposed to bowl a tournament this Sunday at a different house. It's the Pittsburgh Bowlers Tour and they have several events at different houses. I have never bowled at this house but when I bowled this tourney a few years ago at a different house they used a 47' Scorpion. Apparently prior to that they had used a house shot but people complained the scores were too high so that tournament was the first one with a sport pattern. When we got there they announced the pattern and about 10 people got up and left...lol. That was the first and only time I ever bowled a sport pattern. I had no idea what to expect and ended up getting lucky and made the field. The format is 3 game qualifier at 9:00AM (top 8 make it), another 3 game qualifier at 11:00AM (top 8 make it) then another 3 game qualifier at 1:00PM (I think another 8 make it). The first round I rolled 135, 156, 153 and didn't make it. 2nd round I rolled 219, 135, 166 (lots of lucky Brooklyns in that 219). Made it in that round. Didn't bowl 3rd round and when we started out I made it through the 1st round with a 165 but threw 125 next round and lost.

So with the backstory out of the way....a guy in my league bowled the one a few weeks ago and said he was pretty sure it was scorpion but had no idea what the length was. He also said he thought they were using the same pattern at every event now. Looking for advice or tips. From what I read with a 47' just take a straight angle to the pocket? I do remember that if I missed my mark by 1 board either way I wouldn't even hit the pocket. Miss 1 board left and took out the 4-7, miss 1 board right and went Brooklyn. I am thinking I might be at a disadvantage being a lefty cause there won't be anyone helping my line?

My arsenal is as follows:

Conspiracy solid - 1500 grit (just sanded tonight) - solid assym
    Uppercut - 1000, 2000, 3000 (just sanded tonight with all brand new pads) - pearl symmetrical
    Igniter - 2000 pearl symetrical
    Black Widow Gold - 2000 pearl assym
    Rhino black pearl - 3000 - pearl symmetrical
    T-Zone

Also have a Kingpin (solid assym) and Squatch (hybrid symmetrical) but plan on leaving those home

That order is kind of the progression from earliest reading to latest. IIRC I started with the Conspiracy but after the first qualifying round everyone was sanding their stuff with 500's but I was trying to hook the ball the same as I do on the house shot. I'm a little better now at taking what it gives me.

I'm also keeping in mind the rule of 31.

What should I expect later in the match?

EDIT: just did some research and could only find a 41 or 42' scorpion. The consensus there was that you would likely be rolling up the 15 or so board pretty straight on with an aggressive ball then as the pattern burns ball down and move in.

I do feel more comfortable this time around and it may not even be this pattern. But last time I went I was expecting house shot. Guys that went with me had bowled it a few weeks earlier and said it was a house shot...lol.

Not going in with pre-conceived notions or plans but just an idea of what to expect. Last time I had no idea so just bowled it the way I rolled a house shot.

FWIW our league shot is a shorter house shot. Heard it was about 37-38' but not sure.
    Last edited by boatman37; 03-10-2021 at 10:03 PM.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 204

I've found the longer sport patterns are actually easier than the shorter blocked patterns. I was thinking with my speed dominant game, I'd prefer the shorter patterns...but its more than length...it's also volume and width of the pattern.

I bowled in a PBA challenge league a couple summers ago and no matter what pattern they put down...the main thing that held true was that there was just much less room for error. It was mentally exhausting. Every shot had to be precise and perfectly executed or you probably weren't going to carry...or even hit the pocket.

I've only bowled on the PBA Scorpion in a PBA Experience League back in September 2014, shortly after I started bowling. It was the pattern the first week of the 2nd time I bowled that league and I shot a 137-118-150-157. But, once the pattern broke down, I stayed and practiced on it and shot a 192-146-185. Still, that 185...I didn't strike until the 9th frame. So, it was tough getting to the pocket and getting carry...especially for a bowler that was averaging 166 on a THS.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I've found the longer sport patterns are actually easier than the shorter blocked patterns. I was thinking with my speed dominant game, I'd prefer the shorter patterns...but its more than length...it's also volume and width of the pattern.

I bowled in a PBA challenge league a couple summers ago and no matter what pattern they put down...the main thing that held true was that there was just much less room for error. It was mentally exhausting. Every shot had to be precise and perfectly executed or you probably weren't going to carry...or even hit the pocket.

I've only bowled on the PBA Scorpion in a PBA Experience League back in September 2014, shortly after I started bowling. It was the pattern the first week of the 2nd time I bowled that league and I shot a 137-118-150-157. But, once the pattern broke down, I stayed and practiced on it and shot a 192-146-185. Still, that 185...I didn't strike until the 9th frame. So, it was tough getting to the pocket and getting carry...especially for a bowler that was averaging 166 on a THS.
    Yeah I had very little miss room on that pattern before. I was wondering if it was me playing the wrong line or just the way it is with sport patterns. Back then I played around the 7 or 8 board and would not move. I'm much better with that now so hoping that will help me out a little. To be honest I just want to make the field. Sure I'd love to go deep and do very well but I'd be happy making the cut. Anything more is a bonus. I'm not doing it for the money or glory, just for the fun and the experience.

We also have a 40/40 tournament coming up at our house next month. It's a doubles and one person has to be over 40 and one under 40 so I will be the old guy on this team....lol (52). That is on a house pattern and at our regular house.

I guess one of my questions on sport patterns is is the pattern flat? Thats my understanding. So a house pattern will have thicker oil than a sport in the center but less outside? So more evenly distributed? I have looked at pattern diagrams but want to make sure I interpreted them right.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post

I guess one of my questions on sport patterns is is the pattern flat? Thats my understanding. So a house pattern will have thicker oil than a sport in the center but less outside? So more evenly distributed? I have looked at pattern diagrams but want to make sure I interpreted them right.
    By definition sport patterns have a ratio of not more than 3:1. There are also “challenge” patterns that fall in the no mans land between sport and house patterns.

Looking at pattern diagrams can give you an idea of where to start looking for a line to play. Looking at the total volume gives an idea of how fast it will transition.

What I’ve learned being a semi regular sport league bowler:
    1. Keep an open mind. Just because the rule of 31 says your ball should exit the oil on board 16 there are other factors may mean you will have to play elsewhere.
    2. Give the outside a try. There was one season where no matter what the pattern was the best players were getting high score playing the edge of the gutter.
    3. Watch where other bowlers are playing, especially the ones stringing strikes.
    4. Try all of your balls in warm ups and see what works. (I have to confess I’m not real good about doing this&#129396

Good luck!
    John

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    By definition sport patterns have a ratio of not more than 3:1. There are also “challenge” patterns that fall in the no mans land between sport and house patterns.

Looking at pattern diagrams can give you an idea of where to start looking for a line to play. Looking at the total volume gives an idea of how fast it will transition.

What I’ve learned being a semi regular sport league bowler:
    1. Keep an open mind. Just because the rule of 31 says your ball should exit the oil on board 16 there are other factors may mean you will have to play elsewhere.
    2. Give the outside a try. There was one season where no matter what the pattern was the best players were getting high score playing the edge of the gutter.
    3. Watch where other bowlers are playing, especially the ones stringing strikes.
    4. Try all of your balls in warm ups and see what works. (I have to confess I’m not real good about doing this&#129396

Good luck!
    Thanks for that advice. I talked to my summer league teammate and he is going Sunday too. Going to go in with an open mind. I feel I'm quite a bit ahead of where I was when I bowled this pattern last time. I just need to work on my technique more than anything. The rest should fall into place.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    This is harder to do than it sounds...when you're trying to find someone that is throwing a similar style and similar equipment.

BUT...I used to do this when I'd bowl tournaments. If I got done early on a pair, I'd go to my next pair and watch the guys on that pair and try to see if there were any speed-dominant strokers and just get an idea of where they were standing and where their balls were crossing at the arrows.

It was almost never a 1:1 to my game given the differences in speed/hand position/rev rate/equipment...but at least it gave me an "idea" of where I might want to try my practice shots. Like I alwauys argue with Rob about...this ain't the PBA...we don't get a "practice day". We get like 15 minutes divided between 10 guys. For me to throw every ball in my bag...every hand position...every different angle...I'd need over 40 minutes just to myself...and that assumes I don't make any bad shots (which I ALWAYS make bad shots). So, any little 'edge' where I could at least get a 'hint' of where to line up in practice was really valuable. Not having to "find that spot" would allow me to maybe try 2-3 balls or maybe try 2 different lines.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

High Roller

Yeah I usually get 5 or 6 practice throws but I have worked out a decent system that seems to be working. I start with my Uppercut since I'm most comfortable and confident in it and it seems to work on most conditions. I throw 3 lines with it (7 board, 10 board and 15 board). I watch how the ball reacts, where it hits, and where it drops off the deck. If I hit a good shot that drops off close to the center of the deck then I focus on that line and try moving a board or two left or right to check miss room. Sometimes I don't have enough time to try all of those but that is my system. Oh, and I usually throw my Igniter at least once on that line to see what it does. I typically only use those 2 balls (and my spare ball) on league night.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

Yeah I usually get 5 or 6 practice throws but I have worked out a decent system that seems to be working. I start with my Uppercut since I'm most comfortable and confident in it and it seems to work on most conditions. I throw 3 lines with it (7 board, 10 board and 15 board). I watch how the ball reacts, where it hits, and where it drops off the deck. If I hit a good shot that drops off close to the center of the deck then I focus on that line and try moving a board or two left or right to check miss room. Sometimes I don't have enough time to try all of those but that is my system. Oh, and I usually throw my Igniter at least once on that line to see what it does. I typically only use those 2 balls (and my spare ball) on league night.
    Oh, and I'm a lefty so it's harder to watch another guy with a similar line...lol
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Oh, and I'm a lefty so it's harder to watch another guy with a similar line...lol
    One would think you could try a mirror image of what the successful right handers are doing. Probably won’t work because not all sport patterns are symmetric, and even if it were the higher traffic volume on the right side keeps the two sides from playing the same.
    John

High Roller

So it wasn't a 47' Scorpion. They called it a 'modified' THS. 43'. Here is the oil chart. Definitely a hard pattern. I don't really know how to read these that well but can kind of eye it up to get an idea. So it was definitely longer but how about volume compared to a normal THS? It behaved very similar to the 47' Scorpion I was on before. It was a very tight line and my accuracy was off. I will add more detail in the other thread I will start. This one is more about the oil pattern itself.

These are all the same sheet, just closer up shots

Oh, and LEFTY!!!