Thread: Certification Questions

Chats: 55

Default Certification Questions

I heard recently that 9-pin tap leagues and tournaments can certify via USBC. Can't say I ever thought one way or the other about this. Is this correct?

If so, does a league still submit registration cards? Is the reasoning for this to obtain the bonding and such benefits?

If a league chooses not to certify, should the league rules somehow specify that USBC rules pertain? And what do you think that wording of the rule should be? Without it, it would seem the rules could be anything at anytime, made up by anyone.

Thanks for the input!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    I heard recently that 9-pin tap leagues and tournaments can certify via USBC. Can't say I ever thought one way or the other about this. Is this correct?

If so, does a league still submit registration cards? Is the reasoning for this to obtain the bonding and such benefits?

If a league chooses not to certify, should the league rules somehow specify that USBC rules pertain? And what do you think that wording of the rule should be? Without it, it would seem the rules could be anything at anytime, made up by anyone.

Thanks for the input!
    I vaguely recall seeing that the USBC has something to say about No-Tap leagues and tournaments. I would assume those leagues and tournaments would have to submit the same things that regular leagues submit. They probably certify with USBC for the same reasons that regular leagues certify.

I’ve had a lot of experience in both USBC leagues and unaffiliated leagues. The league I started out with used to switch back and forth between paying dues to the ABC/USBC and being un affiliated. Almost all leagues owe their rule structure to the USBC and its predecessors, since even the unaffiliated leagues are run by bowlers who know the USBC rules. Personally I have an ethical problem with a group that says we don’t want to pay USBC dues but we want to use their rule book and refer specifically to it in our by-laws. Ideally for a non certified league, two or three bowlers would get together and propose a set of rules that would be voted on by the league membership. The rules would be distributed at least to all the team captains at the start of each season. Otherwise it does tend to become what ever the league secretary wants to do on a given day.
    John

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I have participated in USBC sanctioned no tap tournaments, however have never heard of a sanctioned no tap league. The scores from a no tap league can't be used for average purposes, so it doesn't make any sense to sanction a no tap league.

If the USBC wanted to play hardball, they could establish a rule stating their rules apply to USBC sanctioned events only, and cannot be used for unsanctioned bowling events. They could also state that unsanctioned events cannot refer to the USBC anywhere, other than to state the event is not USBC sanctioned. Then unsanctioned leagues would have no choice but to draft their own rules instead of simply referring to the USBC rules in their by-laws.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Yes you can have a modified format league. As for the specifics like averages, awards etc. I don't know offhand

See more about them in the League Operations handbook and the application form lists the modified formats
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....erationshb.pdf

If so, does a league still submit registration cards?
    I believe so, its like any other league just a modified format. There might be some format specific rules I don't know offhand.

Is the reasoning for this to obtain the bonding and such benefits?
    The reasons for certification would be the same.

If a league chooses not to certify, should the league rules somehow specify that USBC rules pertain?
    Yes, The league would have to specify what playing rules will be used, whether they are USBC rules or something else. If your going to use USBC rules but want to change specific ones you have to include those changes in the league rules.

And what do you think that wording of the rule should be? Without it, it would seem the rules could be anything at anytime, made up by anyone.

Thanks for the input!
    As for wording thats all going to depend on what your doing..

It might be something like The XXX league is a uncertified league and shall be governed by the rules established here and any rules not covered by these rules shall be governed by USBC rules and the league board of directors.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-14-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker