Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A strange thing happened on Tuesday...1st time in I can't remember how long...

Chats: 204

I did an analysis not too long ago, to see where bowlers "lines" were. I think the problem is that on a 5-man team versus a 5-man team...it's very hard, if not impossible, to avoid playing on another person's line. I may have been able to do it last week...just because the other team didn't know how to bowl and wasn't playing the breakpoint...but in a usual situation, here is what I found:

For the purpose of this discussion/analysis,

"crossing the arrows" is the horizontal line from 1st to 7th arrow.

"releasing at" = foul line

"breakpoint" = back end area near furthest dark marker

Of 10 bowlers;

One bowler was releasing at 9, crossing the arrows at 9, and hitting the breakpoint at 6. He was the furthest right.

One bowler was releasing at 23, crossing the arrows at 18, and hitting the breakpoint at 11. He was the furthest left.

One bowler was releasing at 18, crossing the arrows at 16, and hitting the breakpoint at 10.

The other 7 bowlers were essentially releasing the ball between 12-14, crossing the arrows at 11-13, and hitting the breakpoint at 9-10.

Now, this 'data' was taken over warm-ups and one game...because amateurs don't always make good shots and I can only watch one person's ball movement at a time. And since typical league bowlers have about 2-4 boards of miss room...you're really looking at a sort of funnel shaped track is at it's widest at the approach between 8 and 24...narrows at the arrows to 8-19...then gets rather precise at the breakpoint to about 8-12.

So, while that may 'sound' like a small area when there are 60 boards and a lot of room out there untouched...what are your options to avoid that track?

1. You can go inside. But remember...you already have two rev dominant players around 15-20...so do you have the 'hand' and/or the ball to play the left side of the lane as a righty? I don't. As a speed dominant bowler...I'm dead in the water inside of 16.

2. You can go 1980s style and play the 0-8 boards. It's a gutsy play and I admire anyone who tries it. A forgotten art, in my opinion. No miss room to the right, thats for sure. But, again...do you have the equipment to play out there? In those days...balls weren't designed to start hooking in the pines...so you're gonna need a ball that can get out on the lane, no surface or coverstock that is gonna grab the lanes, and a core/RG that is patient enough to delay it's movement. Oh, and you also no miss room to the left...because 7 bowlers have torched the track. You also can't start at 8...unless you're in the 3rd game...because you're probably gonna need to move left a little as YOU burn up your line.

I "like" the challenge of playing first arrow. I just lack the accuracy and usually end up throwing at LEAST one ball in the gutter on a miss right.

What does all this mean? I don't know.

I'll try to be more observant of bowlers and their lines over the remaining 5 weeks of the season. Maybe I'll gain some insight from it. This was only my first attempt.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I don’t think it’s possible to release on board 9, cross the arrows at 9, hit the breakpoint at 6 and make it back to anywhere near the pocket. It would have to be like an Andy Varipapa trick shot where the ball starts to hook one way and then hooks the other. It’s more likely the ball was released at 9, crossed at 8, and then got out to 6.
    John

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I don’t think it’s possible to release on board 9, cross the arrows at 9, hit the breakpoint at 6 and make it back to anywhere near the pocket. It would have to be like an Andy Varipapa trick shot where the ball starts to hook one way and then hooks the other. It’s more likely the ball was released at 9, crossed at 8, and then got out to 6.
    Maybe...thats the other problem. I'm trying to see where a ball is moving from about 45 +15 +20 feet away while ducking my head around people who are moving around. Not like I have a drone or anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12