Thread: Thumb inserts

Chats: 0

Default Thumb inserts

I've always used thumb inserts to keep the feel consistent with every ball. I notice that each and every one of them is either chipped or cracked. My son's ball had been recently drilled and his is also chipped.

The same PSO has always drilled my stuff as long as I can remember and also did his. Is it that he's drilling too fast or being careless or just one of those things that thumb inserts do?

He did botch my son's ball really bad. I have to have the thumb plugged and redrilled because the span is WAY too long, the thumb was WAY too tight and he got one of the finger inserts also WAY too small. The thumb insert being chipped is just another issue.

I've already found someone else to fix all the old PSO's issues as I kicked the old one to the curb. Dude needs to retire. It's costly but worth it. Getting a huge discount turned out very expensive, lesson learned. Really pissed to have to plug a new ball but it is what it is. Just curious about the thumb inserts.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

When you say thumb insert do you mean a thumb slug or a switch grip?
    John

My bad, a slug. I've never tried the switch grips yet. My thumb doesn't fluctuate in size much anymore so I really don't need the switch grips. My son on the other hand, it may be an idea for him

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    My bad, a slug. I've never tried the switch grips yet. My thumb doesn't fluctuate in size much anymore so I really don't need the switch grips. My son on the other hand, it may be an idea for him
    I think there are at least two different types of plastic that can be used for slugs. The pro shop that I go to seems to automatically use a slug and finger inserts for a fingertip grip. None of the slugs in my balls have any chips or cracks that are noticeable. Just my experience, but I’d say chipping slugs are not a normal problem.
    John

Confirmed... It was just my former PSO. Had my son's ball fixed, his thumb slug is perfect and my new ball is perfect. I can extrapolate that my old PSO just sucks and needs to retire already.

The new guy didn't even charge me for any of the repairs for my son's ball and since I work at a bowling center he extended a little professional courtesy and knocked 30% of my new ball and no charge for drilling including inserts and slug. I still dropped an extra $20 on the counter for him to show my appreciation.

I also had him give 100 business cards I can hand out where I work. I'm gonna take care of this guy the best I can, we all know how hard good PSO's are hard to find.