Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fade-Shot...

Question Fade-Shot...

I read about a fade-type shot from left of 20 for your first ball shot. So the ball would “back up” to the pocket. Apparently this type of shot may produce good carry.
    Considering this for use on a house shot you'd be playing in the puddle of oil in the middle. Actually I've found that by my moving four to five boards left of where I've been lining up has helped me to improve my scores and hitting the pocket. Rolling left of board 20 would have me moving even farther left to a new zone. I suppose if I moved that far I probably would have to use bowling balls with higher differentials and medium to lower RG with some surface (not sure what). Maybe 2000 to 3000 grit surfaces. Stay clear of shiny polished surfaces. Am I even close on this? Thanks...

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I'm not sure what you mean - it sounds like you're meaning a backup ball ("back up / fade-type)

Is that what you're talking about? My wife throws backup and just like any ball, ball carry depends on entry angle, ball weight, rotation, etc.

It's not what I mean. It's what was in the article. I doubt that many folks would want to learn to throw a back-up ball to improve their strike percentages. I would like to learn to throw a back-up ball for some spare shots like the 2-8-10 though. It might be good for the 10-pin, too. I believe the article just mentioned that as a righty to roll the ball from left of board 20 to make it's move into the 1-3 pocket from right to left may be a good technique for some conditions. Like I said I've moved left 4 or 5 boards from where I had been playing for quite some time and I'm enjoying the results...

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    I read about a fade-type shot from left of 20 for your first ball shot. So the ball would “back up” to the pocket. Apparently this type of shot may produce good carry.
    Considering this for use on a house shot you'd be playing in the puddle of oil in the middle. Actually I've found that by my moving four to five boards left of where I've been lining up has helped me to improve my scores and hitting the pocket. Rolling left of board 20 would have me moving even farther left to a new zone. I suppose if I moved that far I probably would have to use bowling balls with higher differentials and medium to lower RG with some surface (not sure what). Maybe 2000 to 3000 grit surfaces. Stay clear of shiny polished surfaces. Am I even close on this? Thanks...
    I can see where if the right side of the lane is totally torched or has forced you to move far outside your comfort zone, that switching to a fade or back-up shot might make it easier to hit the 1-2 pocket with more consistency. I know some bowlers who naturally throw a back-up ball. The most successful of them play the lane as if they were left handed. Most of us would have to work to develop a consistent fade shot. Don’t know about going to lower RGs and higher diffs. I wonder if you would need to have the grip lay out 180 degrees from your normal PAP.
    John

I'm not a golfer, but apparently there is a fade-shot in golf where the ball turns clockwise versus counter-clockwise.
    I didn't bring up this topic to confuse folks. I read the article and didn't understand what the author was saying. Perhaps he meant a backup ball. Why didn't he say that then? I don't know. Perhaps he meant that by rolling the ball from left of center that the natural hook would fade a bit (like bellying the ball) on its trajectory toward the 1-3 pocket, not the 1-2. It would certainly have to have an entry angle enough to take out the 5-pin.

Ringer

What's the article? I guess we're talking without context. . .

Ringer

ugh - subscription needed.

A "fade shot" in bowling is an old-time expression for a shot that is played deep inside (for the time), around the 4th arrow, where the ball goes basically straight and holds pocket rather than finishing hard like we're used to seeing today. It's called a fade shot because it APPEARS to back up into the pocket when, in fact, it just maintains its angle rather than finishing hard. Back in the day it was a very effective shot, albeit, very difficult to throw because you had to be very, very accurate.

I'm not sure there is a study of making shots on the Brooklyn side for making strikes. I've watched a few straight ball shots from seniors who are lucky to even hit the head pin at times.
    Strikes for those folks can be on either side of the head pin and quite often their shots on the left side seem to be more often than on the right and stronger hits. For those shots on the 1-3 many times leave the 5-pin as the ball deflects to the right after hitting the pocket. Watching some shots it looks like either the 2-pin or headpin take out the 5 as the ball takes out many of the pins on the left side. Maye that's what this author was getting at, not sure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast