Thread: Advice on ball

Default Advice on ball

What kind of ball would you recommend? My husband and I are just recreational bowlers, only bowl for fun no leagues or anything. A couple balls we are considering are the Pyramid, Pyramid Rising and Brunswick Rhino. I would probably get an 11 lb ball and most have a generic core. What is the disadvantage of a generic core or is there one. We are not wanting to spend a lot of money, we only bowl for fun. Lol, they have a purple ball that would be great.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by JustMom1215 View Post
    What kind of ball would you recommend? My husband and I are just recreational bowlers, only bowl for fun no leagues or anything. A couple balls we are considering are the Pyramid, Pyramid Rising and Brunswick Rhino. I would probably get an 11 lb ball and most have a generic core. What is the disadvantage of a generic core or is there one. We are not wanting to spend a lot of money, we only bowl for fun. Lol, they have a purple ball that would be great.
    The disadvantage of a generic core is that if you were buying an expensive ball you wouldn't get quite the same ball motion as from the heavier ball. I haven’t thrown any of the balls you mention but I’ve seen a lot of Rhinos. I think any of the three should be fine.
    John

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I had a Rhino. Good first ball. I can't speak too much on cores but I would try to get into a heavier ball. Have you ever had a ball drilled for you? If you don't have any physical setbacks and are fairly healthy you should be ok with a 14lb, which will have a 'normal' core. A ball drilled for you will feel lighter than a ball off the rack that isn't fit for you. If you are physically unable to throw 14lb for whatever reason then you can make a lighter ball work too. Good luck.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

We do have older balls, I think mine is a 13 lb, but is very heavy for me, I think my husbands ball is 15 lb ball, I don't remember for sure on the weights. Is there a way to look them up with the serial number? We did order the Rhino balls, I got an 11 and we got my husband a 12, he does have some should issues and thought a lighter ball might help.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by JustMom1215 View Post
    We do have older balls, I think mine is a 13 lb, but is very heavy for me, I think my husbands ball is 15 lb ball, I don't remember for sure on the weights. Is there a way to look them up with the serial number? We did order the Rhino balls, I got an 11 and we got my husband a 12, he does have some should issues and thought a lighter ball might help.
    I think the serial number just tells you that it passed USBC regulations when it was made and it probably indicates about when it was made.

The lighter weight should help with the shoulder issues. Having a grip that fits well is also very important in avoiding future wrist or hand problems
    John

Chats: 204

If you're not throwing 14lbs or greater, it really doesn't matter what ball you get. Most balls use a much more simplified core for the lighter weights.

For a woman, I'd recommend a 12-16lb ball depending on age and health conditions. For a man, 13-16lbs.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!