Thread: Another 300 that wasn't...thanks to THAT GUY!

Chats: 204

Default Another 300 that wasn't...thanks to THAT GUY!

So, I joined this "fun league". I did it out of obligation because I had to ditch another league and I felt obligated to the person running the center...long story.

Anyways, it's not my usual "crowd". I'm the highest average of the 9 bowlers in the league. I think there are two bowlers within 12-13 pins of me. Then it's a big drop to the next person, etc... We're talking about a league where at least 1/3 of the league throws house balls and one guy throws polyester.

Of matter of fact, and I say this with some delicacy...I think 1-3 of the bowlers 'may' be mentally "slow". I'm not saying full on, ya know...like, they don't wear helmets or need to use the ramps or anything. But, they just are "odd".

Well, last night...I had the front 4 and I noticed that one of the oddest ones noticed and was telling the 2nd oddest ones. When I ended up with the front 6, said "odd one" came over to me and the conversation went like this:

Him: "You gonna get all strikes?"
    Me: "We'll see."

Him: "Is that a 300...if ya get all strikes?"
    Me: "I think so."

Him: "Ya ever get one of those?"
    Me: "Only once."

Him" Well, maybe you'll get another one."
    Me: "Well, we'll give it a shot."

Now, at this point...I pretty much knew I was dead in the water. I had been jinxed. And the guys I was bowling against realized it as well. As I went up to bowl, I heard an opponent tell his teammate (who had left to get a drink) say, "Yeah, he totally came over here and jinxed him....I knew he would."

Next shot...ball speed dipped a little bit...4-pin wobbled...but didn't go down.

I don't much faith into "jinxing"...honestly. The next shot I missed right and left a bucket. And on the final shot I left a 10-pin. So, could have ended up with a 275 or a 299. But, it is something that you don't see very often in your typical competitive men's league. People usually know not to mention such things.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

He did not "jinx" you... he psyched you out. It's not on him for saying what he said, it's on you for letting him get into your head!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    He did not "jinx" you... he psyched you out. It's not on him for saying what he said, it's on you for letting him get into your head!
    I totally can't argue with that.

I've bowled a few 300's at our local house and every single time there was a lane issue or ball return issue during my 9th or 10th frames. At this point, it is tough to really rattle me, but here I was up for the 1st ball of the 10th and in the middle of my approach, an open bowler 6 lanes away throws his ball backwards and way up and hitting people when it came down.

I'm not one of those guys that can stop once I've started and I ended up pulling it through the nose leaving a split.

That said, there are basically 2 states of mind when it comes to bowling the final frames. One is complete focus on shooting one shot at a time and you really don't hear anybody speaking or doing anything, but it can also be very nerve racking. Then there is the completely aware of everything that goes on around you. In this state, you really can calm your nerves, but then everything is potentially a distraction.

I usually get really aware of everything, but once I step on the approach, I'll focus on the shot. Yes, dropping bowling balls is still distracting, but conversation is not.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Only person that rattles me is myself. My brother walked up to me last year, while I was sitting on 9, and said "how you gonna screw this up"? I threw 2 300's in a row....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739