Thread: Kick back panels (side boards) & pins

Chats: 0

Default Kick back panels (side boards) & pins

I learned something new recently regarding kick back panels. These things deteriorate! My mechanic brought me under a pin spotter recently and showed me this. They are made of a plastic compound and frequently just stapled to the wood. The preferred method is screws which are a special type and it takes 52 of them for each panel.

Screws are preferred because the staples allow just enough movement to accelerate the deterioration where the screws don't. The main cause of the deterioration is the lane oil which gets on the pins and is transferred to the panels. The result is the panels bubble up. The pins hit those bubbles and it creates a cushion instead of a spring like surface making the pins seem rather dead. Other words, bad pin action and the lack of messengers.

The panels come in different grades and prices. Of course the best ones are the most expensive. They deteriorate at a much slower rate and have the best pin action. The price range is from 80 bucks each for the cheapy ones and 340 bucks for the good ones. Obviously you need two per lane. The screws are pricey as well. You can see it's not exactly cheap to have to replace them. The bigger the center the bigger the cost.

Another reason could be dead pins themselves. If they are older than a year and a half then chances are they are dead. Most centers have two sets of pins. One that is in use and another set that is resting in a humidor. After 9 months they should be swapped out to rest and the second set out into play. Once rested they are good to go for another 9 months.

After that they are only good enough as souvenirs or target practice at your local police department. So I thought this was interesting information to share. If you're bowling and notice rather flat and poor pin action, now you have two possible reasons you previously may not have considered.

Ringer

that's really very interesting! Thanks Phonetek

You're welcome. Now and then I learn something new, happy to pass it on

Chats: 204

I just wish some center I bowl at would do something to their panels (or whatever) that might allow me to someday pick up a 7-10.

'Supposedly' it's possible; 'Supposedly'.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I just wish some center I bowl at would do something to their panels (or whatever) that might allow me to someday pick up a 7-10.

'Supposedly' it's possible; 'Supposedly'.
    Just keep leaving it and keep shooting at it. Odds are eventually if you shoot at it enough that you'll at one time get it, then again maybe not. I've seen it done quite a few times at my center. A 6 year old girl did it bowling off a ramp not long ago. LOL It's all a matter of luck, nobody picks it up and says "I picked up exactly the way I was expecting to." Not even the pros. I myself only picked it up once, shooting at it god knows how many times in my lifetime. I recently picked up the Greek church for the first time ever, not once but twice in the same day! My son even got it on video the second time. It's not something I've shot at nearly as may times as the 7-10 let alone twice in the same day. A billion percent luck both times, I claim no skill was involved either time. Chucking a ball at 25 MPH and hoping for the best is not my definition of skill. The fact I hit anything at all I would have been grateful for. That said, now if I leave the Greek church again I doesn't scare me as much, it's still an ugly leave but it happens.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)