Thread: Almost time for our new senior season to start......

Chats: 0

Default Almost time for our new senior season to start......

Our house has been closed for part of the summer and opens August 12th. Me and my teammate are going to practice when it opens. Have to make sure my bowling balls are ready to go. Looking forward to getting another season started. Hope everyone here had a good summer so far. Most of our stores and restaurants don't require masks which is a good thing for once. Good luck on your new seasons. Time to get things rolling.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Closed? That baffles me how some of these centers close during the summer. Unless of course they are doing renovations which makes sense. One local to me which happens to be a direct competition for us closed for the summer just to be closed for the summer. Great for us but I can't believe the same for them. You can't make money with the doors locked.

I wish you good luck for the upcoming season! I'm sure you'll do well. 😁

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Closed? That baffles me how some of these centers close during the summer. Unless of course they are doing renovations which makes sense. One local to me which happens to be a direct competition for us closed for the summer just to be closed for the summer. Great for us but I can't believe the same for them. You can't make money with the doors locked.

I wish you good luck for the upcoming season! I'm sure you'll do well. 😁
    If for some reason a center doesn't get enough traffic during the summer to cover the costs of being open, all being open does is make them lose money faster.

The center where I do most of my bowling doesn't fully close when they renovate. At 56 lanes they are big enough to work on a section at a time while keeping the rest of the center open.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    If for some reason a center doesn't get enough traffic during the summer to cover the costs of being open, all being open does is make them lose money faster.

The center where I do most of my bowling doesn't fully close when they renovate. At 56 lanes they are big enough to work on a section at a time while keeping the rest of the center open.
    I guess with a larger center it makes sense to close. Especially if they lack summer leagues. Yeah we've had some pretty slow days, I can count on one hand the days this year where it cost more for me to work alone than we brought in. All and all according to our spreadsheet we've been profitable all summer. We've had some record breaking days. Probably because everyone was stuck at home last year with the pandemic.

Heck, yesterday (Monday) I had a full house and a waiting list started an hour after open. I was alone and trying to oil the lanes then suddenly I had nearly 80 people come in all at once. 3 different groups. Funny thing was, two hours later they all left at the same time. I cleaned up the mess, finished oiling, a few more lanes going. THEN my pin chaser came in and said "It's really dead today huh?"

We weren't exactly packed the rest of the night until close but it was steady. We did over 3k on a Monday. Not too shabby. Even for a larger center 3k can't be considered a bad day. I'm sure it's not going to be record setting but worth keeping the lights on and doors open for.

Chats: 204

The only centers I've heard of closing during the summer are really small (10-lane) centers that don't have leagues in the summer....usually in very rural areas.

The one that closed near me for the summer is a 40 lane house. Not ShowBoat huge but not exactly dinky.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)