Thread: An intriguing question...

Chats: 0

Default An intriguing question...

As ridiculous as this sounds I'm 100% serious. I was asked this by a customer over the phone and I had no answer.

"Are you allowed to bowl with your feet?" At first I thought it was a joke. It happened to be someone disabled, they are in a wheelchair and don't have enough use of their arms to even use a ramp. I said I would allow them to of they wanted to come in. I'd put the bumpers up for them if they wished.

But as far as the USBC goes I would surmise it would be very specific? Obviously with a shoe on? Maybe not? If not would the the all holes must be used rule apply? If you could even have a PSO drill a ball for toes? I would guess all toes? Perhaps an undrilled ball? This is seriously the strangest serious question I've ever been asked at the bowling center. Is there even criteria or rules for this for certified play?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    As ridiculous as this sounds I'm 100% serious. I was asked this by a customer over the phone and I had no answer.

"Are you allowed to bowl with your feet?" At first I thought it was a joke. It happened to be someone disabled, they are in a wheelchair and don't have enough use of their arms to even use a ramp. I said I would allow them to of they wanted to come in. I'd put the bumpers up for them if they wished.

But as far as the USBC goes I would surmise it would be very specific? Obviously with a shoe on? Maybe not? If not would the the all holes must be used rule apply? If you could even have a PSO drill a ball for toes? I would guess all toes? Perhaps an undrilled ball? This is seriously the strangest serious question I've ever been asked at the bowling center. Is there even criteria or rules for this for certified play?
    I doubt if the USBC has even considered the possibility of someone using a foot or feet to deliver the ball. I’m pretty sure there’s no mention of it in the rule book.

I have seen, in one of the old bowling films from the 30s, a scene of Andy Varipapa lying down on the approach and sending a ball down the lane with one of his feet.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post

As far as open bowling is concerned, It would be up to the House what they would allow.

But as far as the USBC goes I would surmise it would be very specific?
    It's covered in the USBC rules under Rule 4 – Delivering the Ball: 4d. Special Considerations to Deliver the Ball
    A player unable to execute a delivery in accordance with any of the foregoing procedures may bowl in
    USBC competition provided the league’s board of directors or tournament management:
    1. Authorizes such participation.
    2. Establishes specific provisions to govern such participation.
    The average established by the player is not acceptable in another league or tournament unless
    allowed by the rules of that league or tournament. The bowler is eligible for all USBC awards.

Obviously with a shoe on? Maybe not?
    If not would the all holes must be used rule apply?
    Yes, If holes are not used, then their weight holes which are not allowed

If you could even have a PSO drill a ball for toes? I would guess all toes? Perhaps an undrilled ball?
    You would most likely not have standard holes drilled, What you would have done are indentations. Which are covered by USBC rule also see under Chapter 8: Equipment Specifications: 7. Drilling Requirements. All balls used in USBC certified competition must meet the following requirements:
    a. Holes.
    1) Holes or indentations for gripping purposes........

This is seriously the strangest serious question I've ever been asked at the bowling center. Is there even criteria or rules for this for certified play?
    Yes there see above.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

I knew this had to have come up at some point in the 1900's. I found the questions intriguing and the answers fascinating. Thank you Bowl! I sorta figured you'd provide the answers on this one. Well done!

Chats: 204

I've seen not one, but TWO different bowlers bowl by walking backwards on the approach.

They weren't terrible either. Not kidding.

They got set up as normal...took a certain number of steps walking backwards, bent at the waist...either looked over their shoulder...and delivered the ball 1-handed. A RHer would deliver it up the LHer side of the lane but with the opposite swing motion. I asked Mike White about it...because I was bowling with him at the time and he knew the guy. I think he said the guy had a leg injury at one time and couldn't bend his legs..but could bend at the waist...but I'm not sure. The backwards style didn't really require any bending at the knees.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Here's a video of Andy Veripapa using his feet to get the ball down the alley in two different shots. Both are early in the video one of Pete Smith's Specialties from 1947...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjPcVZRCxA