Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: may be teamless

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default may be teamless

So everyone left my team but me so went to the league meeting last week and the league decided to eliminate my team and put me on another team. Problem is so far seems the only team that may need a person is one that has about 8 people and they rotate so I'd only bowl once, maybe twice a month. Not what I'm looking for. I told them I wanted to bowl full-time. Don't mind sitting out occasionally but only bowling once or twice a month isn't what I'm looking for. Will see in a couple of weeks when I show up that first night but not looking good. May just show up on league night and practice all year and just do tournaments all year? No idea but not looking like it will be a good year
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Did you tell them there is no "I" in team? There is a "me" though if you jumble it up.

Man that sucks when there are people that WANT to bowl but get the ol screwgy and aren't able to participate. I have leagues like that here. They tell me they can't fill the house they are short on teams but they don't want anyone new.

Fortunately, I can tell them tough patooty. On my end, leagues are my profit and they don't get that choice to tell me I can't make money. That's not in their contract.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So everyone left my team but me so went to the league meeting last week and the league decided to eliminate my team and put me on another team. Problem is so far seems the only team that may need a person is one that has about 8 people and they rotate so I'd only bowl once, maybe twice a month. Not what I'm looking for. I told them I wanted to bowl full-time. Don't mind sitting out occasionally but only bowling once or twice a month isn't what I'm looking for. Will see in a couple of weeks when I show up that first night but not looking good. May just show up on league night and practice all year and just do tournaments all year? No idea but not looking like it will be a good year
    Is this the only league that fits in your schedule?
    John

Is this the only center in your area?

High Roller

Our center has leagues almost every night but the only ones that fit my schedule would be the Tuesday (the one I'm in now), Wednesday, and Thursday. One of them I believe is a pretty small league and the other is a larger co-ed league.

There aren't many decent centers within about a 1 hour drive. There is one about 20 minutes the other direction but it has a reputation as being pretty bad and I heard they oil with a mop (literally). Those are the only 2 that are reasonably close. I may consider moving to a Wednesday or Thursday league if I have to though. I'll show up on our first night (August 31st) and see what happens. If I get put on a team with 20 guys then I'll see about showing up Wednesday and/or Thursday and trying to get on a team.
    There are a few teams in my league that are only there for fun and don't care about how well they do or if they win or lose so have a bunch of extra bowlers so they don't have to show up every week and it seems those are the only teams that might need a bowler. Will see how it goes.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Honestly, this concept of having a team roster double the size of the team strength just makes no sense to me. Either someone wants to bowl or they don't. This is literally unheard of around here. We have a hard enough time filling a full team, let alone having so many people that want to be on a team that they need to create a rotating schedule. 25 years ago we had waiting lists for leagues. Now you can literally walk in to the center and find a "full-time" position on a team on any night of the week you want to bowl.

Sounds like you may need to find something on one of your other available nights. You may want to do this before the league meeting for this other league with the possible rotating bowling schedules. Personally, that would annoy the daylights out of me and I wouldn't go anywhere near that. Especially if you already know that the team you might be on is not as serious about bowling as you are.

Our fall league starts in 3 weeks, and we are trying to find another member for our team. The league is trying to fill in spots on several other teams as well. This is a scratch league in our center that is the most competitive and has the highest payout. Yet we simply cannot find people that want to bowl on it. People would rather bowl in handicap leagues that are "fun", "relaxed", and more "social". In other words, they want to drink all night and whoop it up. That isn't what this league is about, so it is tough filling spots.

I bowled in my usual handicap league over the summer and I literally cannot wait for it to be over. I also have no intention of returning to it next summer. The "drinking and whooping it up" scene is just not for me and ruins the experience. My teammates on this league are also very competitive and we are all having a hard time wading through all of the tomfoolery on this league. We have all declared this to be the last summer we are bowling this league (and we have been bowling on it now for 6 straight years.) Next summer we are going to try to find something more serious, or faster paced (maybe split the team and go to a doubles league on another night.)

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Honestly, this concept of having a team roster double the size of the team strength just makes no sense to me. Either someone wants to bowl or they don't. This is literally unheard of around here. We have a hard enough time filling a full team, let alone having so many people that want to be on a team that they need to create a rotating schedule. 25 years ago we had waiting lists for leagues. Now you can literally walk in to the center and find a "full-time" position on a team on any night of the week you want to bowl.

Sounds like you may need to find something on one of your other available nights. You may want to do this before the league meeting for this other league with the possible rotating bowling schedules. Personally, that would annoy the daylights out of me and I wouldn't go anywhere near that. Especially if you already know that the team you might be on is not as serious about bowling as you are.

Our fall league starts in 3 weeks, and we are trying to find another member for our team. The league is trying to fill in spots on several other teams as well. This is a scratch league in our center that is the most competitive and has the highest payout. Yet we simply cannot find people that want to bowl on it. People would rather bowl in handicap leagues that are "fun", "relaxed", and more "social". In other words, they want to drink all night and whoop it up. That isn't what this league is about, so it is tough filling spots.

I bowled in my usual handicap league over the summer and I literally cannot wait for it to be over. I also have no intention of returning to it next summer. The "drinking and whooping it up" scene is just not for me and ruins the experience. My teammates on this league are also very competitive and we are all having a hard time wading through all of the tomfoolery on this league. We have all declared this to be the last summer we are bowling this league (and we have been bowling on it now for 6 straight years.) Next summer we are going to try to find something more serious, or faster paced (maybe split the team and go to a doubles league on another night.)
    Yep. Seems many just aren't serious and want the 8 man rosters so they can stay home if they feel like it. I'm too serious and competitive. Not just at bowling. At anything I do. I hate to lose and go all in when I decide to do something. I don't drink so that has nothing to do with my league nights for me. Looks like we will have 14 teams this year but if we evened out the teams to maybe 6 per team max we could probably have 18-20 teams with all the extra 'subs' we have
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

I would personally love to see 5 person teams abolished, in favor of 2, 3, and 4 person teams. It will never happen, because centers want the business. However maybe more people would be willing to join a league if it wasn't such a time suck. It simply takes way too long these days for 5 person teams to bowl 3 games. At our center, the 5 person teams take about 3 hours to get through their 3 games. My 4 man league during the summer takes 2.5 hours, which still seems too long. My fall league is 3 person teams, and it takes 2 hours which is just about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    I would personally love to see 5 person teams abolished, in favor of 2, 3, and 4 person teams. It will never happen, because centers want the business. However maybe more people would be willing to join a league if it wasn't such a time suck. It simply takes way too long these days for 5 person teams to bowl 3 games. At our center, the 5 person teams take about 3 hours to get through their 3 games. My 4 man league during the summer takes 2.5 hours, which still seems too long. My fall league is 3 person teams, and it takes 2 hours which is just about right.
    If they are seriously hard core bowlers then 3 hours is an eternity. If it's a drinking league where they are trying to get out of the house? 3 hours is a good amount of time to get a very effective buzz going.

Chats: 204

I actually prefer 4-man and 5-man teams.

3-man teams I don't have time to even sit down and suddenly it's my turn again.

I've found the ideal leagues to be 5-person teams with at least 1 female bowler and where you could have a 6th bowler as a permanent sub. It was nice being in a mixed league that was still competitive. At the same time, the 6th bowler was a sub...but they could only sub for your team. And, since that was a sweeps league...that sub was eligible to replace any bowler that couldn't make the trip at the end of the season....as long as they bowled a minimum of 18 games throughout the season.

I mean, yes, it does take 3-3.5 hours for 5-man leagues. But, I never really looked at bowling as something I was anxious to "get over with". It's only annoying if you're in brackets or something and you're done and you gotta wait for other people to finish.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast